How does the UA P/E compare to LH P/E?

Old Sep 5, 2022, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Plat, IHG Spire, Hilton,Miles&More
How does the UA P/E compare to LH P/E?

Planning flight to BOD departing EWR on October 21.
UA 960 arrives 9:10AM, next segment on LH898 departs 10:50AM. Do you agree this is risky, or ample time?
Alternatively, LH 403 arrives 07:30AM. Better choice?
Planning on booking Premium Economy on either- how does the UA P/E compare to LH P/E?
Thank you kindly, for your thoughts/suggestions!
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SilverElite
Planning flight to BOD departing EWR on October 21.
UA 960 arrives 9:10AM, next segment on LH898 departs 10:50AM. Do you agree this is risky, or ample time?
Alternatively, LH 403 arrives 07:30AM. Better choice?
Planning on booking Premium Economy on either- how does the UA P/E compare to LH P/E?
Thank you kindly, for your thoughts/suggestions!
Myself and colleagues go to BOD fairly often. We all fly to Paris and train from there. Not worth the extra connection in our eyes.

If you’re set in flying, that connection should be fine in FRA
boss315 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
How familiar are you with FRA, generally 1:40 is fine but FRA has been a mess for the past few months. Hope is things will settle down by October.
Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022
Old Sep 5, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I have generally not been impressed with LH PE. I prefer UA's seat. Not much service to speak of for either, though at LH it's closer to an Economy service than United's.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:17 pm

I’ve done both long haul and prefer UA’s seat and entertainment/Wi-Fi options, though LH has much better food and generally better flight crews. That said, I second the post about flying to CDG and then just taking the TGV.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Transited through FRA on Aug 28. Going from Z gates to A gates was super ease. I guess the summer travel madness is over. It took us less than 20 minutes. As long as the UA flight is on time, OP should have plenty of time. Just make sure you follow the correct signs.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I've flown LH TATL >10 times. For me the deal breaker is the lack of air vents on LH, coupled with a cabin temperature that is mandated at 26C, according to the CC I spoke to when I complained how hot it was onboard. For me it was pure misery, no air and hotter than hell...The rest in terms of hard and soft product? I'd probably give the nod to UA, but I'm into LT mileage building and that means flying on UA metal on a 016 ticket....
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:51 pm

Premium Economy: UA vs. LH

Flying SFO to FRA. United 777 vs. Lufthansa 747. The difference in takeoff time is minimal; the price is identical.

Which Premium Plus/Premium Economy would you go with? All else equal, I'm going LH to fly the queen of the skies.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Are you trying to get yearly or lifetime status on either carrier? I haven't flown LH premium economy but it appears pretty similar soft product-wise to UA and the seats seem similar. So few carriers fly the 748! I have not even flown an A380...
Old Nov 22, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
IFE is much better on UA than LH. LH service will probably be better (although not a guarantee). I'll let others chime in on the food aspect, but I'd assume LH >> UA on that. Really depends on what exactly you're looking for besides the seats because as mentioned they are very similar. Being able to fly on a 747 is a valid thing to consider IMO.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL250
IFE is much better on UA than LH. LH service will probably be better (although not a guarantee). I'll let others chime in on the food aspect, but I'd assume LH >> UA on that. Really depends on what exactly you're looking for besides the seats because as mentioned they are very similar. Being able to fly on a 747 is a valid thing to consider IMO.
True for J but not so much for PY.

I think the PY seat on UA is a big advantage.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
You can check LH menus here: https://www.lufthansa.com/gb/en/menu-card but PE is probably going to be closer to LH Y (which is pretty dismal).

That said flying LH SFO-FRA gets you EU261 protections while UA metal doesn't so that might be another consideration?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 5:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
UA is much better in LH. LH serves Y food and charges for seat assignments.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by truncated
That said flying LH SFO-FRA gets you EU261 protections while UA metal doesn't so that might be another consideration?
Wouldn't both get EU protections? Destination is EU
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
Wouldn't both get EU protections? Destination is EU
I learned yesterday that US airlines flying to an EU airport does not invoke any EC261 protection; only flying from an EU airport.

LH flights to and from EU airports would receive EU261 protection.
Antarius and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Nov 23, 2022 at 12:17 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.