Wiki Posts
Search

Using United status on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
They did give FCL access (not FCT) to GS for a brief time when United GF existed 🥲.
I don't think there was correlation between being in United GF/GS/FCL access. I think it was a GS thing.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I don't think there was correlation between being in United GF/GS/FCL access. I think it was a GS thing.
GS had to be in UA Global First to get FCL access.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
If you buy LH lowest ticket, you even cannot get free checked luggage even you are GS.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'm flying through MUC and FRA soon and connecting UA to LH. When I check in with UA, do I get seat assignments on LH? How does one use the LH app or website to change/select their seats? I have not done a UA to LH connection in quite some time.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I'm flying through MUC and FRA soon and connecting UA to LH. When I check in with UA, do I get seat assignments on LH? How does one use the LH app or website to change/select their seats? I have not done a UA to LH connection in quite some time.
What cabin?

Business class you xan select on the LH site after booking

Economy, inter Europe, you will be assigned (probably by LH) a seat on check-in.. You can at t-48? go to LH and select seats
SPN Lifer and CApreppie like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What cabin?

Business class you xan select on the LH site after booking

Economy, inter Europe, you will be assigned (probably by LH) a seat on check-in.. You can at t-48? go to LH and select seats
Thanks! Economy, that's right 48 hours I can go in and get a seat assignment. Been so long I forgot. A319 from MUC and A321 to FRA.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,
T

Terrible Experience with LH on a RT booked on United.com purchased with *G and PP. For party of 4 on 016 ticket stock.
BOS-EWR UA
EWR-ATH UA
DBV-MUC LH
MUC-BOS LH

UA metal was as expected.

LH I bought the MUC-BOS for all 4 in-advance. 2 in our group purchased seats forDBV-MUC. Told the other 2 could checkin 23 hrs in advance of DBV-MUC and get seat assignments.

Called at 23 hours to see if we could advance the party of 4 by 4hrs to earlier flight but fare class not available and no standby for us. Told seating was now under airport control at <23hrs and they couldn't seat 2 people. Told to go to airport to get seat assignments. Arrived <6hrs to our planned departure to get seat assignment and check baggage (also see if standby possible). Told no standby, can't checkin or seat assignments or luggage. Must wait till <2.5hrs for checkin, seats and luggage.

LH info and elite treatment is terrible. And misinformation cost us 4 hrs at the airport.

I'm gonna complain to UA Customer Care as this is their 016 booking and elite rules/*G negotiated position. UA treats LH elites better than this!

Last edited by hhmorgan; Sep 17, 2022 at 4:04 am
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by hhmorgan
Terrible Experience with LH on a RT booked on United.com purchased with *G and PP. For party of 4 on 016 ticket stock.
BOS-EWR UA
EWR-ATH UA
DBV-MUC LH
MUC-BOS LH

UA metal was as expected.

LH I bought the MUC-BOS for all 4 in-advance. 2 in our group purchased seats forDBV-MUC. Told the other 2 could checkin 23 hrs in advance of DBV-MUC and get seat assignments.

Called at 23 hours to see if we could advance the party of 4 by 4hrs to earlier flight but fare class not available and no standby for us. Told seating was now under airport control at <23hrs and they couldn't seat 2 people. Told to go to airport to get seat assignments. Arrived <6hrs to our planned departure to get seat assignment and check baggage (also see if standby possible). Told no standby, can't checkin or seat assignments or luggage. Must wait till <2.5hrs for checkin, seats and luggage.

LH info and elite treatment is terrible. And misinformation cost us 4 hrs at the airport.

I'm gonna complain to UA Customer Care as this is their 016 booking and elite rules/*G negotiated position. UA treats LH elites better than this!
I’m assuming you’ve consulted all LH published benefits and rules for *G, and you can list the specific ones violated by them? Or are you just upset they wouldn’t bend the rules for you because of your United Airlines status?
lincolnjkc and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by hhmorgan
LH generally does not allow same-day standby, and does not open European outstation airport counters until 2 - 2.5 hours before departure. Those are the rules, and they are applied consistently to everyone.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
I don’t think LH recognizes anything above Star Gold. Nothing for Plat, 1K, GS.
Just to be clear, there is nothing above *G for Star Alliance for LH to recognize -- Plat, 1K, and GS are all UA statuses and all three of those (plus UA Gold) map to Star Gold. I think it's a little stupid, at least from the US perspective, that there's not a 3rd tier in Star Alliance but this isn't a LH issue but rather a alliance status issue. [There are times I also think it's stupid that only Silver is *S rather than Silver and Gold but the level of confusion that would create when Gold != *Gold probably explains at least part of it....]

I haven't flown LH as often as others but I've always felt they've treated me well (at times better than UA)... Knowing the German rules-following orientation I've never asked for something outside of the rules but they've always been hospitable and efficient with me.
StuMcIlwain likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by willliamjia
If you buy LH lowest ticket, you even cannot get free checked luggage even you are GS.
TATL flights? You get a free checked bag even on Basic Economy fares as a *G
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by cfischer
TATL flights? You get a free checked bag even on Basic Economy fares as a *G
No, intra-EU flight
Old Apr 12, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
"illegal" connection to earlier flight

Flying with partner BOS-MUC-HAM. Separate itins (long story) on the same flight. She's UA 2P, I'm 1P/*G. She's going for a conference and I'm tagging along. Couple of questions:

1) For getting seats together, should I go to a person at check-in and plead our case? Might their US-based agents be a bit less sticklerish than in DE? Should I contact ahead of time and see if they can note that the reservations are together; does that do anything? I've found LH to be unhelpful.

2) We arrive MUC at 0935 and our departure for HAM is 1115, but would like to *try* to get on a 1015 if we can make it through customs since she has a session she'd like to get to. The BOS-MUC segment has arrived 30-40 minutes early several recent days, so this kind of connection is not impossible. It seems in this thread that LH agents are unlikely to allow that to occur. Has anyone had any luck with this?

3) On my last two TATL returns westbound (LH and LX) I've been op-up'ed as a 2P. I have no expectations but … wish us luck!
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:36 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by vitira
Flying with partner BOS-MUC-HAM. Separate itins (long story) on the same flight. She's UA 2P, I'm 1P/*G. She's going for a conference and I'm tagging along. Couple of questions:

1) For getting seats together, should I go to a person at check-in and plead our case? Might their US-based agents be a bit less sticklerish than in DE? Should I contact ahead of time and see if they can note that the reservations are together; does that do anything? I've found LH to be unhelpful.

2) We arrive MUC at 0935 and our departure for HAM is 1115, but would like to *try* to get on a 1015 if we can make it through customs since she has a session she'd like to get to. The BOS-MUC segment has arrived 30-40 minutes early several recent days, so this kind of connection is not impossible. It seems in this thread that LH agents are unlikely to allow that to occur. Has anyone had any luck with this?

3) On my last two TATL returns westbound (LH and LX) I've been op-up'ed as a 2P. I have no expectations but … wish us luck!
I spent a lot of time flying LH intra Germany and a couple of times trans-Atlantic. Their view on taking earlier flights was very dim. Only if I paid $x would they put me on the earlier flight, even when wide open. (So I'd just go to the lounge and enjoy what are generally nice lounges.) So, I doubt they will let you fly out earlier.

Only had one upgrade even intra-Germany. And that's a funny story not for FT.

My suggestion... enjoy MUC airport, its one of my favorites, and just relax. If you get there early, and if you are *G, go to the plaza and have a beer outside, then come back in through the LH first class security which is open to *G.

G
artvandalay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.