Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible Equipment Downgauge on ORD-HNL-ORD on Friday 2 Sept 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible Equipment Downgauge on ORD-HNL-ORD on Friday 2 Sept 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Possible Equipment Downgauge for ORD-HNL-ORD on Friday 2 Sept 2022

I am booked HNL-ORD-LGA in C for this Friday with the ORD segment operated with a 781. UA just called me and advised me of a possible equipment swap that would have the front cabin oversold and offered me the rebooking of my choice and a $550 travel credit. I accepted the offer and rebooked HNL-IAH-EWR with 777HD and Polarized 763.

The agent who called me was a veteran of the old pmUA HNL call center; she recognized my family name (and also my pidgin accent); we had a lot of fun working together to rebuild my itinerary.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 30, 2022 at 9:00 am
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Nice score!
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 9:21 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I am booked HNL-ORD-LGA in C for this Friday with the ORD segment operated with a 78X. UA just called me and advised me of a possible equipment swap that would have the front cabin oversold and offered me the rebooking of my choice and a $550 travel credit. I accepted the offer and rebooked HNL-IAH-EWR with 777HD and Polarized 763.

The agent who called me was a veteran of the old pmUA HNL call center; she recognized my family name (and also my pidgin accent); we had a lot of fun working together to rebuild my itinerary.
I have been mostly ORD/LGA/LAX/LHR-based for my adult working life but as you can guess from my handle I grew up on the outer islands. Especially when I was just a 1K, I used to wait to call for help when it was late enough that I knew the HNL call center was getting a decent amount of volume. The days of timing that are long-gone but I remember having so many wonderful experiences with those agents once I convinced them I wasn't a mainlander (or worse) here to harsh their shift.

Safe travels and happy you still get some of that magic, even if only occasionally. Makes me miss the UA1/2 days.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Did they say what the presumptive change would be? I'm assuming to 77O?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:03 am
Original Poster

The agent didn't know; I am guessing the 777HD but will need to check on Friday. The J cabin for the ORD flight was completely full so any downgauge will displace a good number of passengers.
findark and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: UA MM
The agent didn't know; I am guessing the 777HD but will need to check on Friday. The J cabin for the ORD flight was completely full so any downgauge will displace a good number of passengers.
Not surprising at all with the return of more PW 772s.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:28 am

I am booked HNL-ORD-LGA in C for this Friday with the ORD segment operated with a 781. UA just called me and advised me of a possible equipment swap that would have the front cabin oversold and offered me the rebooking of my choice and a $550 travel credit. I accepted the offer and rebooked HNL-IAH-EWR with 777HD and Polarized 763.

Like many people who visited Hawaii in the 1980s, I brought back a copy of Pidgin to da Max as a souvenir, and because the book is so funny, I still have it 40 years after I bought it, although I'm very cautious about not using pidgin when I'm speaking to Hawaiians or Samoans. I think pidgin is a wonderful way for people from Hawaii to show pride in their heritage.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
772s are already running to Hawaii from Houston, wouldn't be surprised if they were used from Chicago either.
Lots of unhappy people on those flights I'm sure.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This sounds like a one-off swap, at least for this Friday, but agree that it could be a harbinger of things to come.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

It was posted elsewhere that ORD-HNL-ORD switches from 781 to 77HD in May of next year; will post an update on what equipment operates on Friday. I was looking forward to seeing the new UA terminal in LGA but will save that for a later trip.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:57 pm

FWIW, UA is sending a Polaris 772 on ORD-HNL-ORD on Thursday 9/1, in place of the 781. Between potential equipment swaps on back-to-back days on this route and a 788-to-764 swap on ORD-CDG-ORD as discussed in another thread, I'm wondering if UA is suddenly short a 787 or two at ORD.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
FWIW, UA is sending a Polaris 772 on ORD-HNL-ORD on Thursday 9/1, in place of the 781.
Nice catch; per FlightRadar24, N796UA is operating today and tomorrow's ORD-HNL-ORD flights, reverting (for now) to the 781 on Saturday.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:04 pm

Hmm. In that case, it's hard to see how UA thought they were in an oversell situation. The 781 has 44 J seats, but the Polaris 772 has 50. Were they really over by more than six?

Edit: on second thought, maybe they were over in general, not in J specifically, and soliciting volunteers from any cabin. The 781 has 318 total seats, but the Polaris 772 only has 276.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I could get back onto HNL-ORD at this point but not really interested in rebooking. The only Polaris equipment I've been on to date is the 773 so will enjoy trying out the 763 from IAH-EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.