Wiki Posts
Search

I've recreated Channel 9, sort of

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
I've recreated Channel 9, sort of

I doubt I'm the only one who does this, but using liveatc.net and ARTCC maps, I've been able to follow recent flights between PHX-SFO, except below 10,000 feet. I'm now planning out other routes, and also use this when stuck on the tarmac, and found out about departure delays 10 mins before the pilot said anything. Curious to know who else has had success with this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
I doubt I'm the only one who does this, but using liveatc.net and ARTCC maps, I've been able to follow recent flights between PHX-SFO, except below 10,000 feet. I'm now planning out other routes, and also use this when stuck on the tarmac, and found out about departure delays 10 mins before the pilot said anything. Curious to know who else has had success with this.
I get some use from this is as well - not perfect, but it is better than nothing, for sure!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I do this as well but am challenged by figuring out what frequency to listen to and when an ac changes over to a different one. IAH for example has multiple options for ramp, tower, and ground.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Everytime Ive tried that, its been blocked. Is it open now?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:22 pm

Somebody please make this work. I'd pay a healthy subscription for access.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:41 pm

I listen to LiveATC when I am on the ground. Its fun.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Same here. I haven’t thought of tuning in from the air. Thanks OP for the suggestion.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It’s worked well unless I am on an E175 with Gogo. I miss the days of Channel 9 on the whole fleet!
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I listen to Live ATC on the ground, as well as use Mosaic airport viewer to track movements of planes...both mine and others.
Great resource to see how congested the airport is and how likely for a long taxi / waiting for takeoff situation.
Here is a shot of a really bad Newark weather day. You know you are in for a rough time when they have lined up planes on a runway

Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
I do miss the days of Channel9, but I definitely tune into LiveATC and use FlightRadar24 when on the ground and where available. Haven't really bothered to track movements into different airspace while airborne. I am a little ashamed to say (and my family make fun of me) that sometimes while working in my office, instead of streaming music, I'll put on LiveATC. Yeah, I'm a geek. DUB is a favorite of mine as well as JFK and other east coast airports during peak trans Atlantic arrival periods.

Had one very funny experience on the ground (can't recall where.) We were approved for pushback. But waited. And waited. Finally Ground called us and said "Are you guys pushing or what?" Our pilot replied, "I thought we were but we seem to have lost our wing walkers." Ground chuckled and said to let him know when we'd found them again. I'd been watching three guys off the port side earlier, and did see them all leave into the terminal. Waited a little longer and sure enough, out they come. Pilot requested push again and Ground says "OK, let's get you moving" Brief pause and he comes back on. "Before you misplace your tug driver."
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
how I miss hearing "UA xxx FMS bridge visual 2-8 Right... "
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I do this as well. Really came in handy @ EWR Monday with all of the planes spread about waiting for hours on end.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 10:50 am

Was listening to liveatc extensively on Monday during the cluster of an afternoon at EWR. Was crazy to hear conversations between atc and pilots get heated. Lots of frustration and not so polite snapping at each other.
- insane to hear an aus flight that had landed asking atc why they couldn’t taxi to a gate. Atc said gate is full. Pilot snapped back no it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 2 hrs we’ve been parked here
- Naples, IT flight returned to gate after “unruly” passengers. Pilot was about to give more detail and atc yanked it offline to a direct call
- multiple medical issues and the planes couldn’t get enough space to get out of line to get to get back to gates
- crews timing out all over the place
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
I do the same thing but mainly on the ground over cell data. I can follow from the gate to ground to tower and lose the signal after takeoff. Sometimes I can get the tower on final but most of the time I miss the final "cleared to land" by the time I can pick up a signal so I've stopped trying depending where I am. I can ofcourse listen over UA WIFI but its hard to follow the frequencies after departure in flight.

It is nice to get updates on delays, people's lunch plans, etc

Originally Posted by entropy
how I miss hearing "UA xxx FMS bridge visual 2-8 Right... "
Me too, I can hear it sometimes on liveatc
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by johnsmith
Was listening to liveatc extensively on Monday during the cluster of an afternoon at EWR. Was crazy to hear conversations between atc and pilots get heated. Lots of frustration and not so polite snapping at each other.
- insane to hear an aus flight that had landed asking atc why they couldn’t taxi to a gate. Atc said gate is full. Pilot snapped back no it isn’t and hasn’t been for the 2 hrs we’ve been parked here
- Naples, IT flight returned to gate after “unruly” passengers. Pilot was about to give more detail and atc yanked it offline to a direct call
- multiple medical issues and the planes couldn’t get enough space to get out of line to get to get back to gates
- crews timing out all over the place
When EWR melts down, it really is a crazy listen. When I monitored last time, multiple planes were declaring 3 hour tarmac rule return-to-gate, but there was no way to get them out of the lines stacked up on taxiways and runways, and no gate to get them into if they made it back to the terminal. Add in all the "need more fuel now" and it really was frustrating for everyone involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.