Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany airport (FRA, MUC, ... ) issues for UA traveler Summer 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by mfirst
Have been thru FRA about a dozen times pre-COVID (and nothing since), as a US citizen, I can say that it is my least favorite airport in the world - I know places like EWR/ORD are high on that list. I still have nightmares about having to go thru that security check point prior to getting access to what I recall being the terminal that serves US flights.... situations like what is being described are enough for me to try and go thru MUC....
You clearly have not flown through LHR in the past 5 years. We have done FRA 4 times since December and it is really easy to us.
cesco.g and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:32 pm

FRA and its frequent bus gate arrivals often seem to bring something different to the table every time I connect. Its multi levels, circuitous routings, warrens and hidden escalators can confuse even the most ardent road warrior. I've been through it dozens of times over the past few years, and although I've never been lost, I always have a sense of apprehension. I much prefer MUC, and try to arrange connections there, if at all possible. I have yet to experience BER, but from what I've heard, I may be better off avoiding it altogether.
MarkyMarc likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc
Safe and painless travels!
To update, our travels were safe but not painless. We made it aboard yesterday but certainly experienced a string of fiascos along the way.

We bypassed with relief the long queue of passengers standing in line at the UA counter to check in shortly after 5:30 am. We arrived at Border Control to see a line had already formed. Signs state that it opened at 6:00 am... except it didn't. One employee spent an obsessive amount of time cleaning a computer monitor and various uniformed personnel (Zoll and Polizei) strolled in various directions. By 6:15 am, an American near us in line approached the one employee and asked him about the delay. The explanation was that they were waiting for the police to arrive. The lines finally opened at some point just after 6:30 am., but at first there were only one or two immigration employees in the booths. They finally added more employees and we got through, although the man we spoke to couldn't find the entrance stamp in my passport for some time.

We then got to the security line. My impression (probably inaccurate) is that they're actually confusing passengers with what needs to be removed from bags. I saw people commonly using three bins to display their electronic gear. Meanwhile, the single body scanner that was open initially stood idle for 30 seconds or more quite commonly. We got through that, despite Mrs. Fredd having to endure an extra "pat down," probably "random."

By then, we didn't have a lot of time, but decided to make use of the Lufthansa Lounge. It's our own fault that we didn't notice the discreetly labeled Senator Lounge on our left (we haven't been there for a few years). We approached the LH Lounge employees standing just past that, and a woman looked at our BPs and directed us to the United Club closer to our gate. Years ago, we'd visited a rather poor UA Club, time was short, so we decided to go there, except there is no United Club. A United employee directed us back to the Senator Lounge, another 5-minute walk. We were admitted immediately, and we had time for our first cup of coffee for the day, and our grandson for some hot chocolate and a pretzel. I approached an employee inside and explained politely what had just happened. He responded appropriately and said they would inform the employees in question that there is no United Club.

When we got to the gate, there was already quite a crowd. When it was our turn to go through the automated gates, our grandson's BP wouldn't scan. We got out of line to go to the counter before it dawned on us that we'd tried to use his ORD-SEA paper BP - our bad! We got back in line and he and I went through. This time, Mrs. Fredd's (correct) BP on her phone wouldn't scan, so she had to get back in line, while he and I waited out of the way just past the gates. She of course had to wait in line nearly 10 minutes, and the employee never told her what the problem was, but the paper BP they printed worked and we all walked down the long flight of stairs to board the plane.

Fine flights and we're home safe and sound. Like most other FTers, we've experienced all of the above "challenges" as well as a few others in our travels, but never so many in immediate sequence.

"Orderly but not efficient...." I'll have to give that some thought. In the meantime, thank you again, MarkyMarc. Your advice was sound.
restlessinRNO, wrp96 and MarkyMarc like this.

Last edited by Fredd; Jul 22, 2022 at 7:00 am Reason: jet-lagged typos
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The problem with the body scanners is that they can often flag sweaty/damp clothing and combine crowded security lines with generally mediocre European air conditioning during a heat wave and you’re going to get a lot of flags generated.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and jasonp622 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
To update, our travels were safe but not painless. We made it aboard yesterday but certainly experienced a string of fiascos along the way.

We bypassed with relief the long queue of passengers standing in line at the UA counter to check in shortly after 5:30 am. We arrived at Border Control to see a line had already formed. Signs state that it opened at 6:00 am... except it didn't. One employee spent an obsessive amount of time cleaning a computer monitor and various uniformed personnel (Zoll and Polizei) strolled in various directions. By 6:15 am, an American near us in line approached the one employee and asked him about the delay. The explanation was that they were waiting for the police to arrive. The lines finally opened at some point just after 6:30 am., but at first there were only one or two immigration employees in the booths. They finally added more employees and we got through, although the man we spoke to couldn't find the entrance stamp in my passport for some time.

We then got to the security line. My impression (probably inaccurate) is that they're actually confusing passengers with what needs to be removed from bags. I saw people commonly using three bins to display their electronic gear. Meanwhile, the single body scanner that was open initially stood idle for 30 seconds or more quite commonly. We got through that, despite Mrs. Fredd having to endure an extra "pat down," probably "random."

By then, we didn't have a lot of time, but decided to make use of the Lufthansa Lounge. It's our own fault that we didn't notice the discreetly labeled Senator Lounge on our left (we haven't been there for a few years). We approached the LH Lounge employees standing just past that, and a woman looked at our BPs and directed us to the United Club closer to our gate. Years ago, we'd visited a rather poor UA Club, time was short, so we decided to go there, except there is no United Club. A United employee directed us back to the Senator Lounge, another 5-minute walk. We were admitted immediately, and we had time for our first cup of coffee for the day, and our grandson for some hot chocolate and a pretzel. I approached an employee inside and explained politely what had just happened. He responded appropriately and said they would inform the employees in question that there is no United Club.

When we got to the gate, there was already quite a crowd. When it was our turn to go through the automated gates, our grandson's BP wouldn't scan. We got out of line to go to the counter before it dawned on us that we'd tried to use his ORD-SEA paper BP - our bad! We got back in line and he and I went through. This time, Mrs. Fredd's (correct) BP on her phone wouldn't scan, so she had to get back in line, while he and I waited out of the way just past the gates. She of course had to wait in line nearly 10 minutes, and the employee never told her what the problem was, but the paper BP they printed worked and we all walked down the long flight of stairs to board the plane.

Fine flights and we're home safe and sound. Like most other FTers, we've experienced all of the above "challenges" as well as a few others in our travels, but never so many in immediate sequence.

"Orderly but not efficient...." I'll have to give that some thought. In the meantime, thank you again, MarkyMarc. Your advice was sound.
Curious detail about the United Club. At one time there was a Red Carpet Club at Frankfurt, but I believe it's been closed for over ten years.

I would guess the issue was scanning same BP twice — the first time would get her counted as "boarded", so the gate agent had to deboard her before she's allowed to use the BP again.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sounds like transit passengers may want to avoid exiting the airport at FRA so they don't have to deal with the immigration lines, as is the case at AMS. Unfortunately as a transit passenger I have never been able to avoid the security lines at FRA no matter what my origination, as compared to AMS where re-screening may not be needed. On the plus side the LH lounges at FRA (and MUC) are among my favorites anywhere, if you have time to visit them...
SPN Lifer and boerne like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Question: I am flying into Frankfurt late afternoon, connecting to the 8:30 am Chicago flight the next day. Would the My Cloud hotel make sense? It seems like it's at Z25, beyond security, so I would avoid having to deal with the vagaries of security and passport control and such first thing in the morning.

(Not sure if the lounge will allow me entry when I arrive, when my connecting flight isn't until the next day. Only did it once, and not in Frankfurt, and had to talk my way in nicely. But it seemed like it was an exception.)
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Curious detail about the United Club. At one time there was a Red Carpet Club at Frankfurt, but I believe it's been closed for over ten years.

I would guess the issue was scanning same BP twice — the first time would get her counted as "boarded", so the gate agent had to deboard her before she's allowed to use the BP again.
I have only vague recollections of the old Red Carpet Club. The LH lounges were significantly superior and we've always aimed for them. We were going on five hours sleep and no coffee or else I would have noticed the Senator Lounge right away. I also take note when requested to go to some other club and asked this woman if they wouldn't allow me in to the Lufthansa Lounge. She replied that I could go to whichever lounge I wanted but that the United Club would be closer. Maybe she's just returned from a really long-term leave.

As to the BP, that's a good theory but Mrs. Fredd did not run her BP through the first time but only our grandson's. She was in line at the counter behind other people whose BPs were also not working so it may have been some strange glitch. I just hope we've appeased the travel gods for awhile by experiencing all of these fiascos one after the other that I described.
restlessinRNO and MarkyMarc like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Fredd
I have only vague recollections of the old Red Carpet Club. The LH lounges were significantly superior and we've always aimed for them. We were going on five hours sleep and no coffee or else I would have noticed the Senator Lounge right away. I also take note when requested to go to some other club and asked this woman if they wouldn't allow me in to the Lufthansa Lounge. She replied that I could go to whichever lounge I wanted but that the United Club would be closer. Maybe she's just returned from a really long-term leave.
This takes me down memory lane. I do remember it as sort of being at the end of a corridor that seemed to not go anywhere. The club seemed isolated and felt dark and overcrowded. There were showers, and is memorable in my mind as the only club I ever used where someone dumped by jacket off a chair while I went to take a shower. Came back to find someone sitting in the chair and my jacket dumped on the floor.

Beyond that - I remember the corridor continuing beyond the club after making sort of a dog-leg turn, but this part I might be making up. Were are the UA gates clustered together at that time? Does any of this even exist anymore or was it all bulldozed in some terminal renovations?
Fredd likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
The RCC and First Lounge were in C as I recall. Most UA flights arrv/dep from C at that time (while A/Z were being rebuilt). Yes it was dark - dark carpet/furniture, but with nice apron views.
SPN Lifer and Fredd like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
The RCC and First Lounge were in C as I recall. Most UA flights arrv/dep from C at that time (while A/Z were being rebuilt). Yes it was dark - dark carpet/furniture, but with nice apron views.
Memory Lane... red carpet club in frankfurt / Location of Red Carpet Club in Frankfurt
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:51 pm
Original Member

A question for those with FRA experience: I am trying to choose an economy award flight between TPA-IAD-MUC (2.5 hr layover) on United metal or TPA-FRA-MUC on Finnair (as Eurowings Discover)/Lufthansa with a 1.5 hour layover in Frankfurt. Is there any way I clear customs and immigration and make my connection? From the comments above and the fact that I have no status, it looks like I should probably try my luck in Dulles....

Last edited by Tino; Jul 22, 2022 at 9:14 pm
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Tino
A question for those with FRA experience: I am trying to choose an economy award flight between TPA-IAD-MUC (2.5 hr layover) on United metal or TPA-FRA-MUC on Finnair (as Eurowings Discover)/Lufthansa with a 1.5 hour layover in Frankfurt. Is there any way I clear customs and immigration and make my connection? From the comments above and the fact that I have no status, it looks like I should probably try my luck in Dulles....
UA only operates 1 IAD-MUC, so if you misconnect and they can't put you on the later LH flight, then you're going to spend the night at IAD. Though you could see if they can accommodate you on IAD-FRA-MUC or something. Whereas if you fly TPA-FRA, and you misconnect, there will still be many daily FRA-MUC flights (train is also an option if there are no seats left).
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
earlier in this thread, I made the comment about even pre-COVID how difficult FRA was and someone said LHR was worse.... my recollection of LHR is that it is also horrible and hence, for many reasons, I try to avoid it at all costs. A few months ago, I commented about how horrible ORD is. I think my point is that many of these larger airports have gotten to be miserable experiences (I actually like DEN/SFO/EWR because they seem simple - at least to me) and there just does not appear to be any real interest in the airport employees (I dont mean the airline gate agents, etc - who have sometimes there own issues) but the real employees of the airport (security, for example) providing a decent customer experience. Granted the customers are also horrible these days - but it is a race to the bottom. But, I recall (pre-covid) going thru that security zoo - I think to get to Z - at FRA and even thought I was trying to be nice and friendly (since I had no reason not to be), the woman running the x-ray machine appeared to enjoy going out of her way to be as mean and miserable as possible.....I even thought about complaining to someone - but why, she probably has that job as punishment already......
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Tino
since it’s an award, I would target nonstop tpa/fra and then take train fra (flughafen = airport) to Munich city
I googled train route to get rough idea.
When I used to arrive in fra, I would just buy the train ticket (at their ticket machine) after immigration / baggage / customs so that I wouldn’t worry about “missing” my train since tix tend to be non-refundable when bought in advance at a discount.
I enjoyed Germany trains. When buying tickets to some trains, it’s easy to reserve an assigned seat and the ticket machine has international languages.

the extra cost offsets the concern about connecting plus risk of long delay for replacement flight. Plus you can get train to city center instead of airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.