Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Chicago Severe Weather (August 7, 2022 - August 8, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airport:
  • Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)​

Original ticket must have been purchased by: August 6, 2022

Flight changes/Rebook language:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for covered United flights, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights..
Rebooking window: August 7, 2022 - August 11, 2022

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s.html#waiver1

Jetstream Waiver (not yet posted): https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

David
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:39 pm

Just to preempt any comments about the weather. I'm in Chicago - it's not raining now and is only overcast. But the wet roads, puddles in the parking lot outside of my place and sound of cars driving down wet roads makes me think it rained pretty heavily earlier while I was asleep.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Just to preempt any comments about the weather. I'm in Chicago - it's not raining now and is only overcast. But the wet roads, puddles in the parking lot outside of my place and sound of cars driving down wet roads makes me think it rained pretty heavily earlier while I was asleep.
ORD's turn again in the barrel.

David
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Booked through ORD tomorrow on my way to a small
out station. No viable options other than ORD
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by limey1K
Booked through ORD tomorrow on my way to a small
out station. No viable options other than ORD
Good luck.

David
limey1K likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
A little off topic but there was a significant delay of UA flight 140 from ORD to TLV on 8/6 .. it did not make news like the EWR flight, but plane was loaded, then deplaned, and then passengers were sent home, and plane took off on Sunday 8/7. Any more information here on what the issues were?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide
A little off topic but there was a significant delay of UA flight 140 from ORD to TLV on 8/6 .. it did not make news like the EWR flight, but plane was loaded, then deplaned, and then passengers were sent home, and plane took off on Sunday 8/7. Any more information here on what the issues were?
UA 140: Your flight has been delayed until 12:30pm on August 07 because our maintenance team is waiting for a part to service a hydraulic pump. We're sorry for this disruption to your travel plans. You can also check your options on the United app under the My United section or at https://fly.united.com/vZxXKt.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: UA MP
Spoiler

We flew out of ORD yesterday to IAH.

Originally on 5:54pm flight...checked weather.com the day before and thought it would be better to change to 2:02pm flight same day, which we did when we snagged two first class seats that became available when others decided to take advantage of the travel waiver.

On the day of travel, storms came in the morning, ahead of predictions, and delayed the three ORD-IAH flights between 9:30am and 2:30pm, including ours.

Our flight was delayed about 1.25 hours departing from gate.

Then after taxiing to our designated runway, the pilot abruptly turned away from runway and parked somewhere. 20 agonizing minutes later the first officer came on to announce that the original runway we were supposed to take off from was shut down because some plane ahead of us lost its tire, and we are parked there to wait our turn to taxi to the alternate runway.

Then another 15 minutes later the captain came on to state they are checking weight and balance--......shouldn't this have been done long ago? Did he forget before we departed the gate?

Another 10 minutes later we start rolling without any announcement (I'm thinking are we heading back to the gate to fix the weight and balance issue?)

Thankfully not, as we reached a queue of planes at our alternate runway.

Then the lady across the aisle rang the flight attendant call button, stating she really needs to go to bathroom. Flight attendants scramble and checked with the captain, and the flight attendants told her go but she has 5 minutes before it is our turn to take off. I've never seen a crew allow someone to use the bathroom while we are in line waiting for takeoff.

But thankfully the lady finished under the 5-minute deadline, and not long after that we rolled down the runway. Arrived safe and sound in IAH, 2 hours late.

BTW the chicken zatar meal is truly atrocious.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DH77024

Then another 15 minutes later the captain came on to state they are checking weight and balance--......shouldn't this have been done long ago? Did he forget before we departed the gate? ....
In your W&B analysis, did you take in account the changes due to the fuel burn due to the long taxi and wait?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:24 pm

Then after taxiing to our designated runway, the pilot abruptly turned away from runway and parked somewhere. 20 agonizing minutes later the first officer came on to announce that the original runway we were supposed to take off from was shut down because some plane ahead of us lost its tire, and we are parked there to wait our turn to taxi to the alternate runway.
This caused issues all night. The aircraft for my flight from BDL was running about 30 minutes late from the weather earlier in the day, but pilot announced that we would be sitting on the apron waiting for clearance because of an unspecified incident causing a runway to be closed. Ended up arriving about 90 minutes late (9pm). Apparently that plane wasn't moved until after midnight.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
UA 140: Your flight has been delayed until 12:30pm on August 07 because our maintenance team is waiting for a part to service a hydraulic pump. We're sorry for this disruption to your travel plans. You can also check your options on the United app under the My United section or at https://fly.united.com/vZxXKt.
Thanks for the information - passengers were also originally told the plane was waiting on connecting passengers It did in fact, leave the next morning
Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:23 am

Then another 15 minutes later the captain came on to state they are checking weight and balance--......shouldn't this have been done long ago? Did he forget before we departed the gate?
On top of the additional fuel burn due to delay and additional taxiing, they were likely given a different initial routing since they were changing their departure runway. All good reasons to recheck weight and balance calculations.

Originally Posted by ORDtoMEM
This caused issues all night. The aircraft for my flight from BDL was running about 30 minutes late from the weather earlier in the day, but pilot announced that we would be sitting on the apron waiting for clearance because of an unspecified incident causing a runway to be closed. Ended up arriving about 90 minutes late (9pm). Apparently that plane wasn't moved until after midnight.
Yeah I believe I saw the FAA had implemented a GDP that night for a "disabled aircraft in runway", but understandably when you suddenly lose use of one of the runways that it's going to cause issues for a while.

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Thanks for the information - passengers were also originally told the plane was waiting on connecting passengers It did in fact, leave the next morning
Which may also be true if there was a connection hold decision for the flight when boarding was about to begin or ongoing. Identifying a hydraulic problem might not necessarily be picked up before boarding is started and decisions about holding for connections are also being made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.