Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help w/ Business Class to the Azores in March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

we are traveling to the Azores March 6-15. We have a flight booked on Sata for about 5,500 for the 3 of us business class, but we were wondering if it could be done cheaper on United or Star Alliance (we're United club card holders, silver elite with ~100k miles). We are from OK but would be willing to start from wherever in the US. We're booked around our son's spring break but can probably slide the days a little in either direction. Thanks in advance to anyone that helps!!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Josh Williams
...we're United club card holders, silver elite with ~100k miles...
United Club and Silver doesn't get you any help. The 100k miles might (with very good luck) get you 1 business ticket, one way.

If you're talking $5500 for 3 (vs $5500 each), you're probably not going to get a better deal w/ UA/*A.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 2, 2022 at 1:31 pm
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Josh Williams
Hello,

we are traveling to the Azores March 6-15. We have a flight booked on Sata for about 5,500 for the 3 of us business class, but we were wondering if it could be done cheaper on United or Star Alliance (we're United club card holders, silver elite with ~100k miles). We are from OK but would be willing to start from wherever in the US. We're booked around our son's spring break but can probably slide the days a little in either direction. Thanks in advance to anyone that helps!!
Azores Airlines has a direct to/from Boston for 3 people on J for $5.2k -- I didn't see anything on UA anywhere close to that!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Ah thanks for looking..i guess nothing on the Star Alliance?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Is the direct flight from Newark flying in March?

No business class on the UA flight, however. Only PP
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA does not fly business class / lie-flats to Azores but it does fly a domestic configuration 739 and the domestic F is sold as PremPlus

EWR to PDL (Azores) - No Business, Only Premium Plus / Premium Economy
but not operating March 2023, seasonal restarts in May 2023

There may be AC flights that work for a USA flyer but nothing else *A
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
TP has good business class deals. I have seen $1700 recently. With *A you'll earn good miles and business class on TP is not bad
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nonstop flights from N. Am. to the Azores are VERY limited that time of year. Most only operate for the summer vacation high season.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
EWR-PDL doesn't resume until 5MAY23. Only other way on *A is to connect through LIS or OPO on TP.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:41 am

TP completely discontinued their lie flat services from Azores and I would not choose them anyways because of lacking customer service.

Sata and United both fly recliners to PDL, I prefer Sata actually they do a great job
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by estrela
TP completely discontinued their lie flat services from Azores and I would not choose them anyways because of lacking customer service.

Sata and United both fly recliners to PDL, I prefer Sata actually they do a great job
TP to LIS lie-flat.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Friends just took the PDL flight - although in Y, they remarked it was remarkably fast (5 hours and change) so actual lie-flats seem a waste of money for that short of a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.