Wiki Posts
Search

United lounges compared with Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
although cold sandwiches/wraps are a step up for the UC SFO, this is still very pathetic compared to the variety of hot and cold items at the SFO DL Sky Club.
My advice is to avoid going to the SFO UCs for hot food. You'll find me getting hot food either at the CL or the PP restaurants.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Did anyone else receive a survey about United Clubs recently? Focused mostly on F&B offerings, and specifically asked about some new concepts, brand preferences and service styles (buffet, made-to-order, prepackaged, etc.)

United is slowly investing in the United Club experience, but there's so much work to be done, especially at the hubs. United has major lounge projects underway at 3 hubs presently (ORD, DEN, EWR), and all of them are purportedly of the caliber of the new EWR C3 lounge, which is promising. Incremental food and beverage improvements have been noted as well, which is welcome. From 9/11 to the merger, United invested minimally in Red Carpet Clubs, and CO hit the brakes on virtually all facility capex around 2008. I think the last all-new Presidents Club to open was at LAS on the eve of the WFC, and while it was a nice lounge at the time, it wasn't anything particularly unique or striking. Then, post-merger austerity until 2016 or so led to some rather disappointing new-builds (SFO E immediately comes to mind) that were well undersized and not competitive in terms of hard amenities (e.g., showers). Even LAX, which I love for the space and outdoor patio, is pretty generic. United is clearly moving in a different direction with new United Clubs and it's exciting, but long overdue.

One aspect of the SkyClub experience I wouldn't want to see United replicate is the restrictive two-tier guest policy for members. I would. however, be willing to pay more than is currently charged for the lounge product.

Last edited by EWR764; Jul 27, 2022 at 9:06 am
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is Yankee Pier capable of serving you in less than two hours now? I swore off it after horrible service experiences that nearly involved skipping out on the check because my flight was departing.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: UA
The OP excludes Polaris lounges from the comparison, but that isn't really fair is it? International business passengers on United get Polaris lounges, whereas international business passengers on Delta are still in the Sky Clubs, so Sky Clubs are required to cater to them as well.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Is Yankee Pier capable of serving you in less than two hours now? I swore off it after horrible service experiences that nearly involved skipping out on the check because my flight was departing.
Yes. I went there after the CL closed a couple of months ago and there was no lineup. I had a quick meal and then head to the UC Rotunda.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
although cold sandwiches/wraps are a step up for the UC SFO, this is still very pathetic compared to the variety of hot and cold items at the SFO DL Sky Club.
They don't have a kitchen - me personally - I prefer a sandwich anyway. You can take it with you - hot food, not so much
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
They don't have a kitchen - me personally - I prefer a sandwich anyway. You can take it with you - hot food, not so much
I've had better sandwiches...
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The notable differences are 2 choices of sandwiches/wraps, consistent offering of soup, and a full salad bar, in addition to cheese cubes and cookies, at least at SFO rotunda club. This was 2 weeks ago.
You know what I would KILL for in the United lounge? A soup ladle with a handle that isn't so long that it's nearly impossible to get your soup into the paper bowl without the handle hitting the sanitary glass above the soup container and spilling soup all over.
iluv2fly, drgreg and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: DL 1MM PM: UA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
This subject has been kind of beat to death. The UCs suck for the same reason UA is still giving out baggies of despair on short-haul. .
”Baggies Of Despair” would be a great band name. I literally LOL’d. Even better than Delta’s “Sad Boxes” on their short flights.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
At airports where there's real competition, lounge can absolutely be a determining factor. For example, DL typically gets my business (over UA and AA) LAX-PHX specifically because of their lounge.
When QF F reopens, won't OWE flyers have access? It's supposed to be the best lounge at LAX and I would be tempted to fly OW in that situation.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by angetenar
The OP excludes Polaris lounges from the comparison, but that isn't really fair is it? International business passengers on United get Polaris lounges, whereas international business passengers on Delta are still in the Sky Clubs, so Sky Clubs are required to cater to them as well.
I most certainly did not exclude Polaris lounges from the comparison. See the 3rd paragraph of my post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.