Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Your only carryon is a smaller item, should you place it at your feet or use the OHB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your only carryon is a smaller item, should you place it at your feet or use the OHB?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by stayinalive
Long story short, I am hopeful people do not forget the origin of why the overhead space is such a challenge and think twice about making such strong statements that laptop bags, backpacks, and purses belong below the seat. Passengers 100% have the right to place those bags in the overhead space and it is not a DYKWIA (though OP did point out that OP shared the story for different reasons).
Every flight is pretty much full these days, and it's totally selfish to be putting smaller items in the overhead...leaving little to no spaces for later boarding passengers' large carryons. No one is saying that is a DYKWIA move, the DYKWIA part is using their status as somehow that is okay.

People can't even place their carryons correctly. For those planes with wider and deeper bins where you can put carryon luggage on the side like a book in a book case, even after demonstration from the GA, and repeated instructions from FA, people still cannot place them correctly.
jsloan, st3, AeRoSpaceman and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stayinalive
Passengers 100% have the right to place those bags in the overhead space and it is not a DYKWIA
Unless you’re going to outlaw cabin-size bags entirely, no narrowbody aircraft, save maybe the C500, has enough room for everyone to put even a single bag in the bins. If your bag is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, that’s where it belongs. If your only concern is that you don’t want to pay to check it, they’ll be happy to check it at the gate for no charge. Some airlines will even allow you to board early if you do this, although (a) not UA and (b) I don’t know why you’d want to board early if you don’t have a bag that needs to go into the overhead.

If, after everyone has boarded, there’s room for your small bag in the overhead, go for it.

The idea that each passenger has some sort of dedicated overhead bin allotment is pure fantasy. They’re shared space. In fact, it is demonstrably untrue that each passenger has a “right” to put a bag in the overhead, because if each passenger tries to exercise that right, the bins won’t close.
SPN Lifer, kilo, st3 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Unless you’re going to outlaw cabin-size bags entirely, no narrowbody aircraft, save maybe the C500, has enough room for everyone to put even a single bag in the bins. If your bag is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, that’s where it belongs. If your only concern is that you don’t want to pay to check it, they’ll be happy to check it at the gate for no charge. Some airlines will even allow you to board early if you do this, although (a) not UA and (b) I don’t know why you’d want to board early if you don’t have a bag that needs to go into the overhead.

If, after everyone has boarded, there’s room for your small bag in the overhead, go for it.

The idea that each passenger has some sort of dedicated overhead bin allotment is pure fantasy. They’re shared space. In fact, it is demonstrably untrue that each passenger has a “right” to put a bag in the overhead, because if each passenger tries to exercise that right, the bins won’t close.
Even the CR5 can run out of space in the right circumstances.

It's been made clear for years (decades?) that your primary storage location is under the seat in front of you and that bins are a finite and shared resource. Fill under the seat first then things that don't fit go in the overhead. Putting a small object in the bin when you have space under the seat is IMO an "rolling eyes infraction" on the DYKWIA scale (ranging from infractions, e.g. parking tickets, through felonies -- screaming at an agent, literally asking "Do you know who I am?"). I'm 6' rarely put things in the bin (stuck in a bulkhead or traveling with extra stuff that UA's CoC excludes liability for if in checked luggage). An aggravating factor, however would be throwing out status as an excuse. One trick for leg-room improvement without squatting on bin space: After takeoff move the bag behind your knees or to the aircraft sidewall... then you have plenty of legroom and quick access to your bag if you want to.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:58 am

I never carry anything on other than my backpack, so I’ve always felt I could put my backpack in the bin because that’s my “one carryon bag”. In fact I always felt I was MORE entitled to the space in some ways because I’m taking less of it up than most other passengers.

But after reading the recent comments here I’m apparently not entitled to do this and am being selfish. So my apologies, and from now on I’ll just start putting my backpack in a rollaboard and putting that in the bin. Then I guess no one will be mad at me or ask me to move my bag under my seat. No skin off my back.
LarryU, Rare, SPN Lifer and 30 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by KabAir
...from now on I’ll just start putting my backpack in a rollaboard and putting that in the bin...
Me too. And maybe I'll get the biggest damn rollaboard allowed.
uanj and TPACjv like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by jsloan

There is only enough room in the overheads for 2/3 of the pax to stow rollaboards so, yes the overheads should be reserved for rollaboards or larger bags. I am 6' 3" and always stow my backpack under the seat, whether I have a rollaboard or not, and it isn't uncomfortable IMO. I never fly in anything less than E+ though, so maybe it would be worse in the back.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:34 pm

I try to only have a small backpack that holds laptop, kindle, phone, wallet, snacks etc. Easy to put on the floor and I have access to everything. I try to be considerate if and when.
(Crying babies don't trouble me.)

However re. overhead...in my opinion I have as much 'right' to use it as any other passenger and should not be penalized for having smaller, manageable luggage.
I have never been instructed not to use it.

People will have different opinions.
LarryU, SPN Lifer, fwfdan and 12 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
There is only enough room in the overheads for 2/3 of the pax to stow rollaboards so, yes the overheads should be reserved for rollaboards or larger bags. I am 6' 3" and always stow my backpack under the seat, whether I have a rollaboard or not, and it isn't uncomfortable IMO. I never fly in anything less than E+ though, so maybe it would be worse in the back.
I assure you that at 6'3" it is uncomfortable, at least in my experience, to have a backpack underneath the seat in front of you in a non-E+ seat. And many of my UX flights have no E+ seats so my knees are pushing into the back of the seat in front of me unless I can use the underseat space for my legs.
SPN Lifer and stayinalive like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by mander
I assure you that at 6'3" it is uncomfortable, at least in my experience, to have a backpack underneath the seat in front of you in a non-E+ seat. And many of my UX flights have no E+ seats so my knees are pushing into the back of the seat in front of me unless I can use the underseat space for my legs.
I understand this at 6'1. So I place my backpack underneath my legs during flight so my legs can extend underneath the seat. Problem solved
Old Jul 23, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by hotscot
I try to only have a small backpack that holds laptop, kindle, phone, wallet, snacks etc. Easy to put on the floor and I have access to everything. I try to be considerate if and when.
(Crying babies don't trouble me.)

However re. overhead...in my opinion I have as much 'right' to use it as any other passenger and should not be penalized for having smaller, manageable luggage.
I have never been instructed not to use it.

People will have different opinions.
About six months ago a FA made me remove my laptop bag from the overhead, it was taking a sliver of space in the overhead as I placed it right at the edge and I told her I did not want to put it under the seat in front of me as people put their feet there and drinks are spilled, etc.. She told me i had no choice..

Ever since then it goes in a carryon. Usually only thing in the carryon. It takes up more room in the overhead bin than I need but I do not want my laptop bag on the floor due to the lack of hygiene (why people have bare feet on the floor baffles me) and the chance of someone spilling a drink and it getting wet. It is also highly unusual that I want to use the laptop during the flight - there are the odd times but for the most part it is safely tucked away in the overhead.
lhrsfo, narvik, pmarrsouth and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I have just a single small carryon, I put it in the bin, every time. I've never had a problem with it but I would be happy to stand up for myself should a FA insist. I have just as much right to use the bin as anyone else.
LarryU, SPN Lifer, uanj and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
This is an interesting thread. I don't mean to offend anyone but it seems like people who don't check bags and carry on only want those who do check bags to leave as much space overhead for themselves. Someone like VegasGambler has taken the time to check his luggage and requires less than average OHB space seems not to deserve ANY overhead space in the eyes of some. Does not seem fair.

Totally separate note, I thought UA had redesigned the bins so that all new planes and retrofits can take one standard rollaboard per passenger in the OHB?

I have never heard from anyone at United that only rollaboards can go in the OHB or have first priority over anything else. There are some awfully big backpacks out there and my rolling computer bag ain't small. The FA announcements are about "smaller items" and coats going in last.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by uanj
This is an interesting thread. I don't mean to offend anyone but it seems like people who don't check bags and carry on only want those who do check bags to leave as much space overhead for themselves. Someone like VegasGambler has taken the time to check his luggage and requires less than average OHB space seems not to deserve ANY overhead space in the eyes of some. Does not seem fair.
I always check bags, so don't count me as someone who wants all of my stuff in carry-on so I can avoid baggage delays. I just always put my backpack under the seat because I feel like it might help others who have larger carry-ons and need the space. I don't need the space. On the other hand, I can't remember any FAs forcing someone to remove a smaller bag from the OH and put it under the seat. So I really don't think this is a widespread problem.
jsloan and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
One trick for leg-room improvement without squatting on bin space: After takeoff move the bag behind your knees or to the aircraft sidewall... then you have plenty of legroom and quick access to your bag if you want to.
This right here! Right after takeoff I pull my backpack with my laptop back towards my seat. This gives me my full legroom without any issues and don't even know it is there. Upon decent I put it back under the seat in front of me.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I always check bags, so don't count me as someone who wants all of my stuff in carry-on so I can avoid baggage delays. I just always put my backpack under the seat because I feel like it might help others who have larger carry-ons and need the space. I don't need the space. On the other hand, I can't remember any FAs forcing someone to remove a smaller bag from the OH and put it under the seat. So I really don't think this is a widespread problem.
As someone who experienced this recently, once it happens and you try to stand up for yourself but do not want to be removed from a flight for not obeying crew member instructions you never want to risk it again, or at least I do not. It happened to me. Admittedly I am just one person so not certain how widespread it, but the post started off with someone with a similar experience and others have also commented so presumably widespread enough amongst FTers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.