Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA crew announcement:"Please please please, don't take your shoes off" before takeoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA crew announcement:"Please please please, don't take your shoes off" before takeoff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club

On a TATL UA flight. During the cockpit intro, after mentioning to wear your seat belt on the outside of sleeping, he says "also Please, please please, don't remove your shoes before take off. If we have to evacuate, I want everyone to have their shoes on. Please wait until you hear the landing gear go in the well."

That's a first for me. Was there a recent incident with UA? Some safety cards tell women to remove their heels before going down the slide. Also, does the average person know what the landing gear sounds like. It's not like the old 744 with the broken brake

What do you do? Do you ever remove your shoes? If so do you wait till after takeoff? Personally I only bother on really long flights. I actually usually only do it when above 10000ft because in the back of my mind, I always thought I didn't want to end up having to evacuate outside without me shoes. I pick 10000ft because it's usually still smooth for getting my shoes back on
Boraxo, becks1, wrldwide1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by eng3; Jul 14, 2022 at 4:11 am
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I always keep my shoes on during takeoff and landing for this exact reason. If something is going to happen, it's during those times.
seawolf, Doppy, airoli and 35 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:11 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Then there is the person across the aisle, in J on my flight yesterday, 1K according to their bag tag. Barefooted before Group 3 was boarding.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:56 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I only take my shoes off on long haul flights where slippers are provided, but I always wait until well after take-off. I see lots of pax remove their shoes upon boarding, and I wonder what they would do in an emergency.
seawolf, SFO1974, nk15 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Most people seem to take their shoes off on long-haul (at least up front), and I too have wondered about evacuations. My guess is the people who do take off their shoes simply don’t make the connection.

It’s going shoeless to the toilet that’s the real stinker.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Most people seem to take their shoes off on long-haul (at least up front), and I too have wondered about evacuations. My guess is the people who do take off their shoes simply don’t make the connection.

It’s going shoeless to the toilet that’s the real stinker.
I understand this I just don't do it till we are about 10k, where as others don't care.

A few times I've gone in the lav with just socks when there were no slippers. J lavs are usually ok at least towards the beginning of the flight. I usually wear pretty thick crew socks but one time I noticed a somehow wore a hole in the bottom of my sock. So I don't do that anymore.
Sometimes when sleeping, I'll take my socks off, they are usually on the mattress pad so it seems clean enough.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: Le Club Accor
Never mine what happened in case of evacuation, PLEASE when you travel change sock and wear clean shoes....
jonkx and BarredOwl like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
This is the same energy as “Always wear clean underwear in case you get run over.”
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Yes the double ding is a good marker for many things, including this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I only take my shoes off on long haul flights where slippers are provided, but I always wait until well after take-off. I see lots of pax remove their shoes upon boarding, and I wonder what they would do in an emergency.
They would evacuate in bare feet or socks?

Unless it's very very hot or very very cold I really don't see the big deal.
leoo likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They would evacuate in bare feet or socks?

Unless it's very very hot or very very cold I really don't see the big deal.
Broken glass, strange chemicals, other debris? Still better than staying on the plane. I mean if Bruce Willis can deal with it...
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Broken glass, strange chemicals, other debris? Still better than staying on the plane. I mean if Bruce Willis can deal with it...
Sounds like it's on par with a lot of beaches.

Haven't you ever seen women walking in bare feet after a night out because their shoes are impossible to walk in? This really isn't a big deal.

Not recommended at PHX during the day in summer. Or YOW in winter. But by that logic you shouldn't take your coat off either.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:17 am

I leave my shoes on until at least the cabin door closes - you never know when a last minute upgrade clears and have to be ready to jump seats. I tend to leave my shoes on most flights.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Sounds like it's on par with a lot of beaches.

Haven't you ever seen women walking in bare feet after a night out because their shoes are impossible to walk in? This really isn't a big deal.

Not recommended at PHX during the day in summer. Or YOW in winter. But by that logic you shouldn't take your coat off either.
I guess if you're use to it, it doesn't matter
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:51 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by justforfun
I always keep my shoes on during takeoff and landing for this exact reason. If something is going to happen, it's during those times.
Agreed 100%
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.