Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking bags thru for separate tickets and appropriate time to allow for connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking bags thru for separate tickets and appropriate time to allow for connection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022 | 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold

Quick Question if I may

If I book one ticket CGK to IAH and purchase another Ticket IAH to DFW both with United would I be able to check baggage all the way through?

Also how kong would you leave between arrival and departure ? I appreciate if missed the flight I would need to purchase another ticket

Obviously CGK to Dallas would be easier but the cost of that flight is through the roof...
Old Jun 11, 2022 | 7:22 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by walkingtall
Quick Question if I may

If I book one ticket CGK to IAH and purchase another Ticket IAH to DFW both with United would I be able to check baggage all the way through?

Also how kong would you leave between arrival and departure ? I appreciate if missed the flight I would need to purchase another ticket

Obviously CGK to Dallas would be easier but the cost of that flight is through the roof...
Yes, you should be able to get a knowledgeable agent to check the bag through -- but all they will be doing is printing you out a baggage tag that has your final destination (DFW) written on it. But there is little need or advantage for you to do so. This is because you will have to collect your bag and clear customs in IAH. After doing that, you will come to a recheck station where, if your bag tag has DFW printed on it, you will be able to put it on the belt immediately. Otherwise, you will present your IAH-DFW ticket to the agent there, where they will print out a DFW bag tag and place it on the belt.

I would want to allow at least 2 hours for a separate ticket transfer.
Old Jun 11, 2022 | 8:20 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Does UA even serve CGK? If not, the question should be directed toward the originating carrier.

I think you would be on NH, Correct?

Also, depending on any status, experience or ability to quickly get through immigration... I think 2 hours is cutting it awfully close, I would leave a bare minimum of 5-6 hours if you don't have any kind of status. Especially if your goal is to save money, as if you mis connect that will be a significant cost to buy a walk up IAH-DFW (And return to IAH assuming round trip to DFW).
Old Jun 11, 2022 | 8:24 am
Flyertalk Evangelist, Moderator: United Airlines MlleagePlus
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not a question for United, as you will check the bag in CGK. Depends on that carrier's policies.

I personally allow at least 4h00 for a split-ticket connection, but YMMV.
Old Jun 11, 2022 | 8:27 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by seenitall
Yes, you should be able to get a knowledgeable agent to check the bag through -- but all they will be doing is printing you out a baggage tag that has your final destination (DFW) written on it. But there is little need or advantage for you to do so.
I respectfully disagree that there is little advantage to getting the bag checked through. While the follow-on routing may be easy to do during re-check after landfall in the US, I would much rather not spend transit time waiting in another line for another agent to take care of something that could have been done during initial check-in. If, because of IRROPS the first flight is late, that minute or two (or ten, with a line) can be important. Also, my personal tolerance is quite low for doing stuff like this during transit time when I'm no longer as bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and would much rather be in a lounge. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the middle of your trip is not the best time to find out there's something wrong with your second ticket; better to have a knowledgeable agent review at the initial check-in when you likely have more options to exercise.
Old Jun 11, 2022 | 9:44 am
40 Countries Visited80 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 4.4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
From the title I thought the OP had a question about the United Connection software!
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022 | 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by walkingtall
Also how kong would you leave between arrival and departure ?
Assuming IAH is your entry point to the USA, the absolute minimum time would be 1h20m if your inbound flight is on UA or 1h30m if not. Anything shorter than that and the computer would not allow the bags to be booked through.

That said, I agree with findark that 4h00m is a much better idea. If, upon arrival, you find that you could make it onto an earlier flight, you may be able to get an agent to put you onto that flight anyway (no guarantees, especially because youre on a separate ticket, but itd be worth asking about).

Of course, if youre going to give yourself four hours between flights, itd probably be faster to drive to DFW.
Old Jun 11, 2022 | 4:52 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: UA Amex
Give yourself plenty of time, construction is still going on at IAH International arrivals and lines are very long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.