Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii J inventory zeroed out overnight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Hawaii J inventory zeroed out overnight?

I've been tracking late summer flights from the west coast to HNL and it looks like inventory evaporated overnight.

LAX:

SFO:

Some flights show J1 but nothing bookable:

Lots of these flights plenty of inventory as of last night.
Do we think this is a result of the 772s coming back into service?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It is also now Friday, when UA starts it weekly schedule update process
boss315 and Air Houston like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Some flights show J1 but nothing bookable:
I'm curious about this as well. Been looking to upgrade a ticket my company bought on the IAD-HNL non-stop.
Its been J0 for the past couple weeks, just popped as J1 today, but still not available for purchase.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Probably a pre-emptive block while they load some downgauges. If they drop the 77W they are going to lose a number of premium seats.

The "1" inventory classes are phantom, and an incidence of what we were discussing here.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by findark
Probably a pre-emptive block while they load some downgauges. If they drop the 77W they are going to lose a number of premium seats.

The "1" inventory classes are phantom, and an incidence of what we were discussing here.
How can you tell the difference between phantom vs married segment classes?

For example, yesterday I was looking at SFO-HNL and saw J9 C9 D1 Z1 P1, but only C was being offered for sale with that routing.
However, booking MFR-SFO-HNL allowed me to book the Z fare due to married segment logic.
I guess I would need to check GDS or the actual fare rules.

This was my fare basis: VAA2HFFN

Spoiler

Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
GDS is showing zero, and also there is obviously a pricing J fare which should be offered if there were actually J space (and lower pricing fares as well). The actual prices offered on .com follow (but do not match) the correct prices based on GDS-published inventory.

I would not trust anything the UA website shows right now, especially "what class this books into".
JALsnipe, Kacee and jsloan like this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:28 pm

I bought F tickets from SFO a few weeks ago for the fall at about 600 each way and now those same tickets are selling for 1200+ each way. Price went up per google alerts over 2 days. Am booked on a 777-300ER so hoping they won't downgauge but wouldn't be surprised if they did, though if they do I'd have to reconsider whether the F tickets are worth it.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Clemson
I bought F tickets from SFO a few weeks ago for the fall at about 600 each way and now those same tickets are selling for 1200+ each way. Price went up per google alerts over 2 days. Am booked on a 777-300ER so hoping they won't downgauge but wouldn't be surprised if they did, though if they do I'd have to reconsider whether the F tickets are worth it.
I think UA has done the majority of HI downguages now ex-SFO, although the 773 could easily go to a 772HD between now and fall. To be clear, the Polaris-equipped planes were very rarely used between Hawaii and West Coast pre-pandemic, so the Polaris planes you're seeing now are a result of the HD grounding and the pandemic-era by-product of "what do we do with these Polaris planes"? As recovery continues on the "normal" Polaris routes and the HD returns, the reduction of Polaris-equipped planes to Hawaii from west Coast has been very noticeable.

FWIW, $600 each way is probably not far off from a pre-pandemic F fare on a 737/757.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:34 pm

Looks like they are capping J at 28 again for ORD-Hawaii flights, which means pretty much anything in the next couple months will show as sold out. This did happen a month or two ago and nothing changed, and like that time they are still selling Premium Plus... but I'm a little nervous for my flight in a couple weeks
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think UA has done the majority of HI downguages now ex-SFO, although the 773 could easily go to a 772HD between now and fall. To be clear, the Polaris-equipped planes were very rarely used between Hawaii and West Coast pre-pandemic, so the Polaris planes you're seeing now are a result of the HD grounding and the pandemic-era by-product of "what do we do with these Polaris planes"? As recovery continues on the "normal" Polaris routes and the HD returns, the reduction of Polaris-equipped planes to Hawaii from west Coast has been very noticeable.

FWIW, $600 each way is probably not far off from a pre-pandemic F fare on a 737/757.
Yeah totally understand the 777-3 is not normal and indeed the one I booked is the only 777-3 on the schedule for that day, the others are 777-2's, 757's, or 737s, just not sure if I'm willing to pay such a premium if it isn't at least a lie-flat considering economy tickets are <200 each way still (snagged one for <140) and the flight time is going to be less than 5 hours. Will wait and see. Am traveling after the peak summer season so don't expect the fares to spike too much.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Clemson
Yeah totally understand the 777-3 is not normal and indeed the one I booked is the only 777-3 on the schedule for that day, the others are 777-2's, 757's, or 737s, just not sure if I'm willing to pay such a premium if it isn't at least a lie-flat considering economy tickets are <200 each way still (snagged one for <140) and the flight time is going to be less than 5 hours. Will wait and see. Am traveling after the peak summer season so don't expect the fares to spike too much.
The front cabin fares aren't high as much as coach fares are low. There's no shortage of coach seats to Hawaii (thanks, Southwest), so outside of a few gouge periods, Hawaii coach fares are relatively cheap for a 5 hour flight.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Hawaii is packed and I’m sure UA is scratching their heads trying to figure out the market.

My 777-300 SFO-HNL with 60 F seats is sold out this upcoming Thursday - nobody is getting upgraded that just a few months everyone down to NSRA got upgraded. I’d watch day by day as the seat map kept dwindling and finally pulled the trigger on a buy up.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
They canceled a bunch of EWR - OGG direct flights so need to rebook people on other flights.. that could be one reason.. .That's what happened to me.. had a OGG-EWR in J in Sept. They canceled the entire route for that time and so they originally rebooked me through HNL and LAX in J.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by huey_driver
I'm curious about this as well. Been looking to upgrade a ticket my company bought on the IAD-HNL non-stop.
Its been J0 for the past couple weeks, just popped as J1 today, but still not available for purchase.
IAD and EWR to HNL can't downguge to the 772 (It can't make it) so if anything it may be due to the 764 polaris upgrades or 763/764 swaps. I think the High J 76 can be swapped in as well -
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Hawaii is packed and I’m sure UA is scratching their heads trying to figure out the market.
This evening they just swapped the ORD-OGG flight from 787-10 to 787-9 starting July 1. If it sticks that gives small increase in J and a large decrease in Y. J certainly seems to be filling faster than Y on this route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.