Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FinnAir UA MP award segment? Wetlease by Eurowings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Here's a truly phantom award routing I just found - 70K miles for business class SFO-YYC-FRA allegedly using OneWorld carrier Finnair. This completely threw me - being the only day in the next three months I found award space for less than 155K miles one way...

Turns out that somebody somewhere wasn't wearing their glasses and presumably got confused between AY (Finnair) and 4Y (Eurowings). Oops.

Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by cricketer
Turns out that somebody somewhere wasn't wearing their glasses and presumably got confused between AY (Finnair) and 4Y (Eurowings).
Are you sure this is phantom? I see the same thing on Eurowings Discover awards on LAS-FRA. I figured it was due to them leasing Finnair aircraft.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Are you sure this is phantom? I see the same thing on Eurowings Discover awards on LAS-FRA. I figured it was due to them leasing Finnair aircraft.
Saw the same thing, and managed to book it too.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Yes, Eurowings operated with Finnair wet lease aircraft.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Originally Posted by dkc192
Saw the same thing, and managed to book it too.
My point was that the notion of a 70K business class award on a OneWorld airline was phantom - yes, it's very much bookable on Eurowings as scheduled. Somebody clearly was setting up a mapping table and got 4 and A mixed up.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Somebody clearly was setting up a mapping table and got 4 and A mixed up.
No.
Eurowings flight (4Y) operated by Finnair (AY). No mapping table issue.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point was that the notion of a 70K business class award on a OneWorld airline was phantom - yes, it's very much bookable on Eurowings as scheduled. Somebody clearly was setting up a mapping table and got 4 and A mixed up.
No, it's not a mistake. The flight really is operated by FinnAir under a wet-lease arrangement with Eurowings.

It's Eurowings operated by FinnAir.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Great to see 4Y flights showing up Booking into I instead of the EW P-class Much simpler
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, it's not a mistake. The flight really is operated by FinnAir under a wet-lease arrangement with Eurowings.

It's Eurowings operated by FinnAir.
Oh. wow - I stand corrected!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Saw FCO-MUC-YUL yesterday on a couple dates. I almost booked it but I need to get to DEN and YUL-DEN is a tough last segment to book.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Not just that, but if you book premium economy, you can get lie-flat (since they put you in a business class seat). I was able to see availability in PE from FRA - LAS (as part of a larger itinerary).

https://onemileatatime.com/news/euro...innair-planes/
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This does happen. I recently thought it odd when I noticed Cyrillic characters inside a plane whose ticket was sold to me by and marketed as being operated by TP. It turns out it was operated by FB (Bulgaria Air) under a similar arrangement. It turns out there's a thread n that one here.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Would these wet lease flights fall in the no miles earned quandary? *A earning is based on the operating carrier, so you cannot earn MileagePlus points. OW is based on marketing carrier, so no miles on AAdvantage or other OW programs. Or is there a loophole specifically for wet leases?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Would these wet lease flights fall in the no miles earned quandary? *A earning is based on the operating carrier, so you cannot earn MileagePlus points. OW is based on marketing carrier, so no miles on AAdvantage or other OW programs. Or is there a loophole specifically for wet leases?
You will get the expected mileage credit. The flights are, for all intents and purposes, EW flights. The only thing different is that they've contracted out the actual operation f the flight to (in this case) AY.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More details about the 4Y / AY arrangement are being discussed here on the LH forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...er-2022-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.