Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA can no longer compete in Brasil if connecting from GRU or GIG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

I purchase multiple int’l tix for multiple family. I’ve noticed something very interesting with UA compared with AA/DL.

UA/*A used to have a presence in Brasil. No more. It really hasn’t been an issue (except when flying Y since baggage allowance/status would not transfer). No more—or at least it appears that way.

For this fall and winter, prices are 50% higher in Y (30% in J) if including a mandatory additional leg intra-Brasil. I thought perhaps there was price gouging in Brasil or something related to high gas prices. Not so. Prices were what I expected for intra-Brasil flights on Brasilian airlines.

SO, I priced on UA tix not including the additional leg within Brasil, and the UA tix were what I expected. When I included the additional mandatory leg, an additional $750 for Y on UA even though a stand-alone RT on Brasilian airlines was $160! Crazy.
SO, I checked other airlines, i.e., DL and AA. Including the mandatory leg, their prices were $700 less than UA! Stated otherwise, adding Non-Partner Airline to UA Increases Ticket by 50% compared with AA/DL. Either UA has a software glitch or more likely, partner Brasilian airlines with DL/AA are screwing UA. UA can no longer compete in Brasil.

As a coda, I know DL has a sizeable stake in G3. Perhaps this is part of a concerted plan that might be good in the long term for DL.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:15 am
Original Poster

While buying some tix, I just realized, perhaps, why UA can no longer compete price wise in Brasil. UA has reduced capacity. UA no longer flies from IAD to Brasil. One has to connect from EWR/ORD/IAH. I am not sure if that is the reason, but it is clear UA is the most expensive way to fly to Brasil right now
Old Oct 28, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
South America for United has been pretty minimal for a long time. The UA prices (economy at least) are not very compelling to Brazil, Chile or Argentina. I've looked to go back to BA which I love. Gone are the inexpensive days of flying to those three countries.

Also the liquidation of VARIG really hurt reach. Only Avianca and Copa left.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
United has 4 flights a day to Brasil compared to 5 at American and 2 at DL. So UA hasn’t abandoned the market at all.

All the airlines have more-or-less the same airfares filed to Brasil, but that doesn’t mean the fares for any given route on any given day will be the same at all airlines. UA has been doing some very aggressive revenue management where they don’t open the lowest fare “buckets” on certain days of the week too far ahead of time.

Use Google Flights and you will ge the best price. If booking it with UA is cheaper, your price will be displayed that way. If the flights you want are cheaper booking it as two tickets Google will offer that instead.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Just returned from Brazil two weeks ago on United and I can confirm they have plenty presence there. As other poster pointed out, they fly ORD/EWR/IAH to Brazil. I was on ORD-GRU and was very pleased w/ the experience. United - by far- had the most economical offering in J. Of course as with all things flying, YMMV depending on a number of factors.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
Just returned from Brazil two weeks ago on United and I can confirm they have plenty presence there. As other poster pointed out, they fly ORD/EWR/IAH to Brazil. I was on ORD-GRU and was very pleased w/ the experience. United - by far- had the most economical offering in J. Of course as with all things flying, YMMV depending on a number of factors.
i also recently flew United to both GRU and GIG, and all flights to and from were 100% full, every seat taken.
I can say that the UA staff are very dedicated and friendly. Fares to Brazil aren’t that bad departing from the northeast .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 29, 2022 at 10:16 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 30, 2022, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CApreppie
South America for United has been pretty minimal for a long time. The UA prices (economy at least) are not very compelling to Brazil, Chile or Argentina. I've looked to go back to BA which I love. Gone are the inexpensive days of flying to those three countries.

Also the liquidation of VARIG really hurt reach. Only Avianca and Copa left.
Don't forget about Gol merging with Avianca...

It's even worse in J. Recent fare had UA at $8300 v. DL at $2600 and Azul @$1640.
Also, wanted to compare Y on Azul (which had a starting UA flight): $750. Purchasing the exact same itin (which would use a diff bucket on UA obviously ) on .bomb produced a ticket of $2800.
CApreppie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.