Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

High fare (class) but low bookings with lower fare published

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Looking at certain routes, for example ORD-SEA 6/27, the lowest fare class available is U at $518/$484, and per ExpertFlyer, the lowest published and validated fare is K at $93+fees. This would make sense if the flight is very full but say for UA1945, the flight is only about 1/3 booked. Is UA intentionally zeroing out lower fare classes in this case? What could be UA's reasoning for this since it's close-ish to the departure and there isn't really anything happening in SEA afaik?

Picking another date that's not close to July 4th, say 7/19 same flight UA1945, it's selling at Q5 but K fare published at $93 and the flight is also only about 1/3 full.

Last edited by leftysauce; Jun 5, 2022 at 7:47 pm
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Certain fare published doesn't mean UA will always make the booking class available. If UA believe they can sell all the rest seats at a higher price, they will simply zero out lower and usually cheaper booking classes.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by leftysauce
... for UA1945, the flight is only about 1/3 booked.
How do you know the flight is 1/3 booked? (Please do not say the seat map.)
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Certain fare published doesn't mean UA will always make the booking class available. If UA believe they can sell all the rest seats at a higher price, they will simply zero out lower and usually cheaper booking classes.
Right but it's so close to departure though. Maybe there is a lot of last minute booking happening on this route.

Originally Posted by rch4u
How do you know the flight is 1/3 booked? (Please do not say the seat map.)
I guess the public answer is I've got connections lol
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is UA intentionally zeroing out lower fare classes in this case?
Yes.

What could be UA's reasoning for this since it's close-ish to the departure and there isn't really anything happening in SEA afaik?
They believe that they'll be able to sell enough tickets at these prices to make it a more profitable price point.

Trying to reverse engineer Revenue Management is an exercise in futility. We'r never going to be privy to all of the information that goes into these decisions, but the rationale is always the same:
  1. Generate as much profit as possible
  2. Prevent patterns in airfares that can be exploited by consumers.
Keep in mind that $93 in marginal profit is a big deal, but selling someone a $93 ticket if they would have paid $400 is foolish, and selling someone a $93 ticket and then not being able to sell someone else a $1200 ticket later is downright disastrous. (Pre-pandemic, United averaged about $500 net profit per flight).

Right but it's so close to departure though. Maybe there is a lot of last minute booking happening on this route.
3 weeks isn't the least bit close to departure. I travel mostly for leisure and, until this summer of horrific fares hit, I rarely purchased domestic travel much more than 3 weeks out -- that tended to be the sweet spot for fares (but see #2 above).
Ari likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Prevent patterns in airfares that can be exploited by consumers.
I guess they've succeeded lol

Pre-pandemic, United averaged about $500 net profit per flight.
Is this per pax per flight or the entire flight?

3 weeks isn't the least bit close to departure. I travel mostly for leisure and, until this summer of horrific fares hit, I rarely purchased domestic travel much more than 3 weeks out -- that tended to be the sweet spot for fares (but see #2 above).
right I was the same but I changed my behavior when fares (starting to) hit the fan back in Jan/Feb. Kirby did say they're upping the price to gauge the price point acceptance so I guess (hopefully) people will stop buying these ridiculous fares in a few months and RM will release more inventory.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
3 weeks isn't the least bit close to departure.
I'm the same way. In fact, I can't think of the last time when I booked that far out, whether it be for business or pleasure, short haul or half way around the world. I know that some people are advance planners (probably a lot of people), but it's always surprising when I see a comment along the lines of them not even considering that quite a few others plan trips only a few days/weeks in advance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Appears all fare classes below E/U are zero, at least as a single segment. UA is just setting prices higher in the hopes get a higher net revenue.
leftysauce likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:18 pm

I guess the public answer is I've got connections lol
So even if the flight is truly 1/3 full (since presumably your "connection" is someone work works for UA who can see currently booked loads), do you know what fares those ~60 people booked into? What if 20 of them already booked that K fare? Do you think UA wants to sell all the seats on this flight at 97.20? Obviously not which is why they use the fare buckets to control their revenue. If only U is available currently, they're betting they don't need to sell anything less than U fares to get this flight full by the time of departure, as it continues to get closer they can adjust that if their prediction ends up being off. But given they have K filings gointo to 14 days advanced purchase, L filings as close as 7 days adv purchase, and T filings as close as 3 days advance purchase, they have plenty of options to open lower fare buckets closer in, if their prediction ends up being off, without going all the way down to selling additional K fares.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appears all fare classes below E/U are zero, at least as a single segment. UA is just setting prices higher in the hopes get a higher net revenue.
right that's what I would think since the summer is here and it's the first summer since the COVID is over (?)

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
So even if the flight is truly 1/3 full (since presumably your "connection" is someone work works for UA who can see currently booked loads), do you know what fares those ~60 people booked into? What if 20 of them already booked that K fare? Do you think UA wants to sell all the seats on this flight at 97.20? Obviously not which is why they use the fare buckets to control their revenue.
I'm not expecting K fares but they're still skipping a lot of letters there HQVWSTL.

If only U is available currently, they're betting they don't need to sell anything less than U fares to get this flight full by the time of departure, as it continues to get closer they can adjust that if their prediction ends up being off. But given they have K filings gointo to 14 days advanced purchase, L filings as close as 7 days adv purchase, and T filings as close as 3 days advance purchase, they have plenty of options to open lower fare buckets closer in, if their prediction ends up being off, without going all the way down to selling additional K fares.
Right looking at flights in the next week or two, they are all almost sold out so I guess RM is making a good be there
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this per pax per flight or the entire flight?
Oops, sorry, my numbers are a little out of date. Using 2019 data, they made about $3BB in net income on about 1.8MM flights, so about $1,600 per flight. The $500 / flight number came from a few years earlier. (Of course, since the start of COVID, all airlines have been hemorrhaging money, but UA thinks they've turned the corner).

right I was the same but I changed my behavior when fares (starting to) hit the fan back in Jan/Feb. Kirby did say they're upping the price to gauge the price point acceptance so I guess (hopefully) people will stop buying these ridiculous fares in a few months and RM will release more inventory.
That's what I hope as well. At the moment, UA doesn't seem to be blinking much, although some prices are falling slightly as the travel date arrives. (I re-fared a flight yesterday to save $40).
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Oops, sorry, my numbers are a little out of date. Using 2019 data, they made about $3BB in net income on about 1.8MM flights, so about $1,600 per flight. The $500 / flight number came from a few years earlier. (Of course, since the start of COVID, all airlines have been hemorrhaging money, but UA thinks they've turned the corner).
damn that's still way lower than I imagined. This makes IDB comps extremely costly to airlines then wow

That's what I hope as well. At the moment, UA doesn't seem to be blinking much, although some prices are falling slightly as the travel date arrives.
for some routes the fares are definitely dropping (but just not ORD-SEA for some reason).

(I re-fared a flight yesterday to save $40).
Same. Did one last week at T-7 days as UA published lower fare and saved $60 (off $220) round trip.

Also as a reminder for everyone else, if you have Break from Business fare and you want to re-fare, you need to cancel, get an FFC and make a new reservation for the discount to apply.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Oops, sorry, my numbers are a little out of date. Using 2019 data, they made about $3BB in net income on about 1.8MM flights, so about $1,600 per flight. The $500 / flight number came from a few years earlier. (Of course, since the start of COVID, all airlines have been hemorrhaging money, but UA thinks they've turned the corner).....
Other view is about $20/passenger, very marginal profit per passenger and shifting that a bit can have a huge impact -- that's RM job.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:19 pm

That's what I hope as well. At the moment, UA doesn't seem to be blinking much, although some prices are falling slightly as the travel date arrives. (I re-fared a flight yesterday to save $40).
Which is a curious paradox that they allow this (likely because most people don't take advantage of refaring on the whole). By opening up lower fare buckets, they're lowering the cost of the flight to help drive new bookings, but by refaring to a lower bucket you take up some of that space (potentially taking the last space in the lower bucket which opened), thus driving the price back towards where it was in the higher buckets, before they lowered it to drive new bookings.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is a curious paradox that they allow this (likely because most people don't take advantage of refaring on the whole). By opening up lower fare buckets, they're lowering the cost of the flight to help drive new bookings, but by refaring to a lower bucket you take up some of that space (potentially taking the last space in the lower bucket which opened), thus driving the price back towards where it was in the higher buckets, before they lowered it to drive new bookings.
I mean, it's easy to understand why they try to obfuscate it.

I guess that's part of the equation -- how many passengers will refare, vs. how many new bookings will we get.
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.