Wiki Posts
Search

Sold Out but Standby Available?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Sold Out but Standby Available?

UA 962 EWR-BER June 4 is not available for sale however when clicking flight status, it is showing as available for standby in economy. How does that work? Are there seats available or not? Can a flight really be available for standby but not revenue purchase.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by skylane
Can a flight really be available for standby but not revenue purchase.
Sure - there are no shows all the time. Just before the door closes they'll start to clear the standby list. Standby being available is no indication that anyone from the list will actually clear.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not sure what you mean. Flight status shows Full in both cabins.

You of course are welcome to standby for any flight, regardless of how full. You may not clear.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 962 EWR-BER June 4 is not available for sale however when clicking flight status, it is showing as available for standby in economy. How does that work? Are there seats available or not? Can a flight really be available for standby but not revenue purchase.
I suspect someone is adjusting it manually. I see Full / Full for standby on that flight, but I'm not 100% certain that the flight is entirely booked.

In general, you would not expect to see "Available" appear on the status display for a flight that's not for sale. (That's entirely separate from whether or not you can list for standby and hope someone no-shows).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold

Standby seats are available (green text saying \"available") but no seats available for purchase.

Standby has seats available (green text saying "Available") but you can't purchase a ticket on the flight.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Subspect you seeing realtime dynamics. Just checked Flight Status and both cabins are reporting full

It is not uncommon for a sold-out flight to bounce in and out of sold-out status as travel plans change

But you can standby in case space becomes available.

EF is reporting all inventory classes are zero'ed out (hence will nor be available for sale)

UPDATE
check flight stats on app and shows economy as AVAILABLE but ua.com reports FULL

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 3, 2022 at 11:11 am Reason: UPDATE
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
In a couple of cases recently, I have seen the app (I think) indicate J0 Y0, but the standby tab show Y as "available." It may be that one or two seats pops open for a moment before someone grabs them, and the app isn't updating in real time.

Alternatively, it may be that United is capping inventory below the total number of seats on the plane. Could it be a weight issue, or that UA intends to fill the hold with cargo such that they can't take a full passenger load? Or maybe an inoperable seat?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes of course it can. There are no seats available now but you are welcome to stand by in case seats become available (no-shows, misconnects, people changing or cancelling flights, etc). If seats don't become available you won't get on the flight -- that's why they can't give you a confirmed seat now.
Bradhattan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.