Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odds of leaving RAP at 539am?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I'm frequently surprised to see how many passengers show up for a pre-6:00am flight.
Some of the busiest airports I have ever seen have been before 6am... including SFO at 5am on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

I don't get it either.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm frequently surprised to see how many passengers show up for a pre-6:00am flight.
cheaper tickets?

UA scheduling as early as crew rest times allow and getting the aircraft and crews operating as soon as possible increasing resource utilization.

Win for the passengers, win for UA

Also, for out stations you need to get started early to make reasonable connections to longer flights. To catch that 8-9-10 AM hub departure, you need to start at an outstation at 6-ish
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by findark
Some of the busiest airports I have ever seen have been before 6am... including SFO at 5am on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

I don't get it either.
As a pax I would rather choose the early departure than a redeye for obvious reasons. Early morning departures also tends to avoid some of the hassles with later flights such as traffic, some types of weather delays (convective tstorms, fog on inbound arrivals if the ac is already Ron, ground holds etc). Ymmv
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Also, for out stations you need to get started early to make reasonable connections to longer flights. To catch that 8-9-10 AM hub departure, you need to start at an outstation at 6-ish
I reluctantly took a 6am out of LAS a couple of weeks ago as it was the only viable way to connect to a lie-flat to HNL to arrive late morning otherwise it was 757's and 737's or late arrival. I did not enjoy waking up at 3:45am
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:39 pm

Used to routinely fly on a 5am flight from MSP - ORD (prepandemic when airlines actually scheduled this early). Was perfect being able to spend an extra evening with family instead of rushing out to the airport on a Sunday night, and got me in early enough that getting downtown from the airport was not yet a headache. Would have also been great if I was ever connecting anywhere instead of terminating at ORD as it arrived in time for the first real bank of departures from ORD. Suffice it to say, those early flights were always booked full and super reliable. Only ever got burned not getting back in time once, and that was moreso due to a weather issue on a Monday after Thanksgiving than with the time of the flight (in fact that flight would have been my best bet at getting back to beat the weather, but they put the GS in place right when we were getting ready to push).
Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:29 pm

Routinely do the RAP/DEN pair. Never had a cancellation due to low passenger count. 1st flight of the day susceptible typically to cancellation of prior day incoming due to weather, traffic control or UE goof-ups in DEN which is typically a delay rather than cancellation. No indication that will be a problem on the 3rd or 4th. Check to see the status of 4714 after 9:00 pm on the 3rd.

Always the possibility of a mechanical or a crew problems but the 7:30 flight shows open seats. Arriving early in DEN has a lot of possibilities for IRROPS re-connections.

Airframe N624UX likely needed in DEN for next segment. Likelihood of RAP-DEN cancellation is typically mechanical, crew problems, high winds. visibility and ice on the RAP runway. Seems to be low odds for your your flight.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I guess I am really not that worried about cancelation as I am aware of the need for the airframe somewhere else - a concept that I became familiar with regarding late night flights into CLE years ago in which it was rare to cancel anything because they needed the place for something else later....

but, I just think the excess capacity is interesting....

I always thought that flights eventually follow the laws of thermodynamics - if a full flight arrives at RAP (for example) then at some point those people fly out of RAP...yes, I know there are tourist routes that fly people into one city and leave out of another.... but I just find all of this route scheduling interesting to some of these outposts sites (I used to live in ATW and those flights - more so than any other in WI - appeared to be 'mission critical')......

at least I got an early upgrade on ab hour long flight without having to burn PP.... saving those for the pleasure of watching them expire un-used.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
For operational Express cancels, the RON trip is the one which is almost never scrubbed. They will drop hub-turns during the day to catch up if there are weather delays, but in my experience they will try very hard to get the frame to its outstation for the night. This leads to the first and last flights of the day being some of the most reliable (the last flight is often delayed, but it almost always operates).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Yes, I’ve found the last flights of the day going to cleveland- my old home - always went (eventually)

while the focus was if the flight would leave, it did, I think I count 5 in first. Lots behind the curtains but surprised that there was not enough with status to fill the front.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst
Yes, I’ve found the last flights of the day going to cleveland- my old home - always went (eventually)

while the focus was if the flight would leave, it did, I think I count 5 in first. Lots behind the curtains but surprised that there was not enough with status to fill the front.
And the inbound while also light in F, had all but 3 seats taken in economy
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I always say ‘never again’ after I take any flight around 0600. Somehow I continue to book those insanely early flights. On the upside, I get off work at 0300, so I can head straight to MCI and get almost a full day depending on where I fly.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Love bright and early morning flights. No need to get to airport early; just show up 5 minutes before boarding.

OTP is great for early AM flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.