Wiki Posts
Search

EWR or LGA for Saturday flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
EWR or LGA for Saturday flight?

I can fly from either EWR or LGA with both airports having non-stop departures around similar times for approximately the same price.

LGA flight uses Embraer 175 regional jet with one additional mainline flight 3 hours later.

EWR flight uses mainline equipment with additional mainline flight 1 hour later and additional mainline flight 3 hours later.

I would hope flight cancellations will be less of an issue on Saturdays, but one can never tell. I leave from mid-town Manhattan, so LGA might be slightly more convenient. I have Centurion Lounge access.

Which departure airport would be the better selection?
Old May 19, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Are you hoping to U/G? How long is your flight to weigh RJ vs. Mainline?

I'd probably "risk" LGA for the slight time savings over the larger A/C and couple of back-ups, if needed. Of course that would be the night of an epic LGA operational meltdown.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

4 hour flight to IAH. I should have added that I will check baggage and upgrade is not a consideration.

I imagine that weather-related cancellations would affect both airports. In theory, if UA cancels LGA flight early enough, they should allow me to switch to EWR flight with available seats.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Totoro
4 hour flight to IAH. I should have added that I will check baggage and upgrade is not a consideration.

I imagine that weather-related cancellations would affect both airports. In theory, if UA cancels LGA flight early enough, they should allow me to switch to EWR flight with available seats.
It's been a while since I lived in NYC but I feel like LGA can be affected more by winds than EWR but even if they both have meltdowns, EWR would have more options for you without having to hope you can get from LGA to EWR to make a rebooked flight. But honestly, with all these things being basically equal, the 4 hour on a RJ for me tips the scales back to EWR...

Come back to report how it goes...
Old May 20, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: UA MM
I generally pick an E175 over a 737 so LGA in this case.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The day of the week does not affect cancellation - weather and planes do, and neither you have control over. Go with whichever option that's more convenient - which sounds like LGA is the winner.

If there is an area-wide weather issue (e.g., thunderstorms), both LGA and EWR will be affected. You'll then have the option to look for an earlier flight if that's the case.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I generally pick an E175 over a 737 so LGA in this case.
I've become #TeamE175 as well, against both 737s as well as A320 family. I always go for the window seat, so then I like that I only have to bother one person to go to the lav. Also 175 E seats are a notch roomier than 737/320 seats!

My most frequent route is DC (generally DCA) to/from Chicago (generally ORD) so that probably makes a difference compared to folks more frequently on longer routes.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: United 1K
As far as convenience goes, I would also consider the commute to the airport. Midtown is a pretty big area- if you’re on the west side then you can easily hop a NJ Transit train from Penn Station to EWR. They run on a schedule and it’s a relatively cheap (I think $15) ticket. For LGA you’re taking an Uber or a cab- that used to be $25-30, but these days Uber/Lyft pricing is much higher than pre-pandemic (generally double IME). I’d also consider what else is going on that day and time of day. Getting through Manhattan via car in the middle of the day can be brutal, even on the weekends. If it’s summer roads are shut down for street fairs. If you’re taking a 2 pm flight and there’s a 1 pm Mets game (or worse, the US Open) you’re going to be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aberkowitz79
As far as convenience goes, I would also consider the commute to the airport. Midtown is a pretty big area- if you’re on the west side then you can easily hop a NJ Transit train from Penn Station to EWR. They run on a schedule and it’s a relatively cheap (I think $15) ticket. For LGA you’re taking an Uber or a cab- that used to be $25-30, but these days Uber/Lyft pricing is much higher than pre-pandemic (generally double IME). I’d also consider what else is going on that day and time of day. Getting through Manhattan via car in the middle of the day can be brutal, even on the weekends. If it’s summer roads are shut down for street fairs. If you’re taking a 2 pm flight and there’s a 1 pm Mets game (or worse, the US Open) you’re going to be sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
But let's compare apples to apples. If you're in Midtown, you can take any of several subway lines to Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street, Jackson Heights, and then board the Q70 SBS bus to LGA. So subway to bus for $2.75 to LGA; or NJTransit commuter trian to AirTrain monorail for $15.50 to EWR. Total travel time should be about the same with either method, but on weekends, NJTransit's service between Penn Station and EWR can have lengthy (~ 40-minute) gaps between departures at certain times of day.

There's also a one-seat-ride express bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to EWR for $17.00.
SPN Lifer and IMissThe747 like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
I've become #TeamE175 as well, against both 737s as well as A320 family. I always go for the window seat, so then I like that I only have to bother one person to go to the lav. Also 175 E seats are a notch roomier than 737/320 seats!

My most frequent route is DC (generally DCA) to/from Chicago (generally ORD) so that probably makes a difference compared to folks more frequently on longer routes.
Generally the same, however the seats on the Mesa E175s are brutal, feels like a bus bench, haven't noticed this issue with SkyWest's E175s or even the regional carriers for Delta/American, but I try to avoid the Mesa jets.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by guv1976
But let's compare apples to apples. If you're in Midtown, you can take any of several subway lines to Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street, Jackson Heights, and then board the Q70 SBS bus to LGA. So subway to bus for $2.75 to LGA; or NJTransit commuter trian to AirTrain monorail for $15.50 to EWR. Total travel time should be about the same with either method, but on weekends, NJTransit's service between Penn Station and EWR can have lengthy (~ 40-minute) gaps between departures at certain times of day.

There's also a one-seat-ride express bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to EWR for $17.00.
On a Saturday there are 2-4 trains an hour depending on the time of day. Yes there are gaps, but they are easy to plan around.

fair correction as I did forget about the subway to bus, but I’ve always viewed that as a more challenging option particularly with luggage. You’re also subject to the same traffic concerns.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
For me this decision is always based on available ground transport options to wherever I'm going in NY. Sometimes I have business in the 120s, and then it's always LGA for me. Taxi is quick and about $35, or even the M60 goes right where I want to go for just a few dollars. If midtown or below, EWR is almost always easier for me. NJ Transit into NY Penn Station is quick and eliminates any concern of getting stuck in traffic, and from NY Penn Station it's a quick hop to midtown or below.

So, considering where you are going, I'd pick EWR. Also, as mentioned above, EWR is (slightly) less susceptible to meltdowns than LGA. But, in the absence of a meltdown, LGA can be pretty smooth.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If it's after 2p departure, LGA for sure.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cubbynole
Generally the same, however the seats on the Mesa E175s are brutal, feels like a bus bench, haven't noticed this issue with SkyWest's E175s or even the regional carriers for Delta/American, but I try to avoid the Mesa jets.
Agreed with this clarification, just checked and indeed my next time on the E175 on my DCA>ORD routing in just a couple weeks is SkyWest operated!
Old May 20, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTahCha
The day of the week does not affect cancellation - weather and planes do, and neither you have control over. Go with whichever option that's more convenient - which sounds like LGA is the winner.

If there is an area-wide weather issue (e.g., thunderstorms), both LGA and EWR will be affected. You'll then have the option to look for an earlier flight if that's the case.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I had the impression that on weekdays, airports like LGA and SFO operate near capacity in terms of aircraft movements per hour.

With decreased visibility at SFO, I recall that aircraft cannot land on both runways simultaneously, cutting capacity almost in half. With full weekday schedule, this results in half the flights cancelled/delayed under those circumstances. During weekends, airlines generally have a reduced schedule, so using only one runway results in fewer cancellations/delays as compared to weekdays. I imagine a similar scenario at LGA.

That said, I decided on LGA for geographic convenience and secondarily AMEX Centurion lounge. Thanks to all for the input and discussion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.