Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1686 IAH-SNA Diversion to LAX 19 May

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Just walked past a gate at LAX with an unusual flight getting ready to go: It is from LAX to SNA. From FlightAware i
UA 1686 was IAH-SNA and got really close to Orange County airport and then diverted to LAX.

Any clues as to why?

According to UA flight status it was “low ceiling”. Really, a plane can’t land with instruments when there is a bit of fog? How does SFO survive?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 19, 2022 at 6:27 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 19, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA
They should fire up those EMB-120s. I had a similar diversion years ago, UA charted a bus to get us to SNA. I would imagine most of the passengers made their own arrangements and this flight is going to go out with less passengers than it arrived with.
ual744777sta, Gar1P and jtet like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jtet
Just walked past a gate at LAX with an unusual flight getting ready to go: It is from LAX to SNA. From FlightAware i
UA 1686 was IAH-SNA and got really close to Orange County airport and then diverted to LAX.

Any clues as to why?

According to UA flight status it was “low ceiling”. Really, a plane can’t land with instruments when there is a bit of fog? How does SFO survive?
SNA is only rated to handle CAT I ILS approaches. SFO is rated up to CAT III ILS approaches. The approach minimums at SNA are higher than SFO that is why you can land at SFO with less visibility than SNA.

https://skybrary.aero/articles/precision-approach
Old May 21, 2022, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
COVID cleaning: https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_othe...eDate=05/19/22

Looking at the chronology of all ATCSCC advisories issued on Thu 5/19 (UTC), COVID cleaning affected staffing at ZLA (Los Angeles ARTCC in Palmdale) which control flights to/from SoCal TRACON which control flights to/from the various airport towers from VNY to the Mexican border. LGB was also affected that day.
jtet likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2022 at 9:15 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 22, 2022, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
They should fire up those EMB-120s. I had a similar diversion years ago, UA charted a bus to get us to SNA. I would imagine most of the passengers made their own arrangements and this flight is going to go out with less passengers than it arrived with.
Yes but they still likely would have needed to ferry the plane to SNA to operate its next leg. Depending how long they ahd to divert for vs time to charter a bus for the short jog to SNA (well depending on traffic), probably came out that it made more sense to disembark anyone who wanted to finish at LAX (and reimburse then for their expenses if requested), but also give the option to fly the rest to SNA when the plane gets repositioned.
Old May 22, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
COVID cleaning: https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_othe...eDate=05/19/22

Looking at the chronology of all ATCSCC advisories issued on Thu 5/19 (UTC), COVID cleaning affected staffing at ZLA (Los Angeles ARTCC in Palmdale) which control flights to/from SoCal TRACON which control flights to/from the various airport towers from VNY to the Mexican border. LGB was also affected that day.
COVID cleaning? At this point... what an utterly useless and moronic reason for inconveniencing thousands of passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.