Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:46 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If inflight services in business class are NOT important, then why bother with Polaris lounge?
Because the entire Polaris product is about sleep on your eastbound overnight flight. You get an amazing dinner in the lounge, take a shower, and then can sleep like a baby in your slippers in that amazing seat with nobody stepping over you. Which is why the branding of the product is centered around stars.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
well LH’s seat is horrendous compared to UA’s so there that but in the scope of Polaris food, not harsh at all.
LH's seat isn't "horrendous" - it's just not as good as the Polaris seat. It's closer to UA's fast disappearing diamond seats found on a few 789's and the 764. perfectly fine for sitting, not so much for sleeping.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
When Polaris was rolled out, it was rolled out as a hybrid J/F product. Same as when BusinessFirst was rolled out

Now, the Polaris cabin was far too large for the service levels that were initially introduced. Overall poor planning in that aspect.

As for true F, that will only work on very high end leisure routes these days where people are willing to drop 10s of thousands. Think OGG, HNL, PPT, maybe MIA/LAX, Maldives where people are paying up to 10K just on hotels. Businesses won't pay for F, so putting F on business heavy routes means you have upgrade class
I get that. But that's the point- Polaris caters to business travelers, not luxury-lovers. And BTW, that initial roll out was before all the lounges opened. Once the lounges opened, the onboard food became less important.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I get that. But that's the point- Polaris caters to business travelers, not luxury-lovers. And BTW, that initial roll out was before all the lounges opened. Once the lounges opened, the onboard food became less important.
"All the lounges" = 5 lounges total that represent less than half of the # of departure points for Polaris flights.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by rch4u
"All the lounges" = 5 lounges total that represent less than half of the # of departure points for Polaris flights.
They represent almost 100% of the eastbound transatlantic departures, where a full flight's sleep is most important.

Polaris is a product centered around sleep. And it does what it supposed to do extremely well.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Also fully agree. Happy if upgraded but often pay to upgrade. I appreciate the space and seat and almost never eat. I look forward to next meal at home, airport or in the city I'm going. I do appreciate a couple glasses of wine and some pretzels or nuts. I can set up my laptop, put my ear buds in and get some work done without interruption. That's my game plan in this day and age and it works well.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Correct, and it's quite "acceptable".

If there was a market for a gourmand First Class service, it would be offered- the closest out there is either Jet Blue's Mint or American's Flagship First on premium transcon routes. And note, those are only on a very limited number of ultra high value routes between the major cities of the coasts.

Nobody has to like the status quo. If what a particular traveler wants is the type of thing you see in 1960's travel brochures, with the stewardesses rolling the chateubriand cart through the aisle and carving it, well, I can see how that traveler would hate what FC dining has become.

But the industry responds to demand, the front cabins are full of people who didn't either pay for their upgrade or paid a discounted TOD fare for it anyway, and that reality is going to produce the modern domestic First Class service. It's acceptable because travelers in fact accept it.

And one thing I think is missed in all of this is AIRPORT food has gotten much better. It used to be there was a hot dog stand in the terminal. Food at the airport was generally awful. Now you can get very decent food at the airport- and that means there are fewer hungry travelers who need that inflight meal, especially on shorter duration flights. (Note, back in the day, you used to get a meal IN COACH on a 3 hour domestic flight. That reflected the lack of options at the airport.)
please explain how if nobody is paying for first, and nobody is getting upgraded, where do all these phantom passengers come from?

you’re right that in the terminals there is generally now better food options than 30 years ago… but IMO that’s generally for the economy pax that get diddly squat in the back these days.

the fact that it is now not uncommon to see First Class passengers bringing purchased food onboard, or items from the UC is a CLEAR indicator that United’s ‘premium’ product is far from premium and for a large number of passengers is unacceptable.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Because the entire Polaris product is about sleep on your eastbound overnight flight. You get an amazing dinner in the lounge, take a shower, and then can sleep like a baby in your slippers in that amazing seat with nobody stepping over you. Which is why the branding of the product is centered around stars.
Then UA should ceases all inflight services since they are not important. (except for folks traveling from and through DEN/GUM, outside the US, non-Polarized planes - e.g. 789/752).

The Polaris lounge is part of the ground experience, and is supposed to be complementary to the experience on board. It's not one or the other.

They represent almost 100% of the eastbound transatlantic departures, where a full flight's sleep is most important.

Polaris is a product centered around sleep. And it does what it supposed to do extremely well.
Incorrect. DEN would like to have a word.

Personally, I find most Polaris seats on the narrower side.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 17, 2022 at 8:36 am Reason: Inappropriate / snarky comment removed
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Then UA should ceases all inflight services since they are not important. (except for folks traveling from and through DEN/GUM, outside the US, non-Polarized planes - e.g. 789/752).

The Polaris lounge is part of the ground experience, and is supposed to be complementary to the experience on board. It's not one or the other.

Incorrect. DEN would like to have a word.

Personally, I find most Polaris seats on the narrower side.
Eat the ragu for a week and you'll fit just fine. 😅

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 17, 2022 at 8:36 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The problem in this thread, over and over and over again, is assumptions treated as fact that have never actually been proven or verified. FT may not be a courtroom, but undeveloped theories treated as indisputable truth severely weaken arguments. Let's be kind to one another, but do better, please.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Well, those were the times of regulated airfares/routings. The quality definitely started going down after deregulation, as price became the factor to attract customers and airlines had to find ways to cut costs. I think the drop in quality on U.S. airlines became precipitous after Bethune left CO. Nowadays, it's easy for airlines to continually chip away at food costs (or maintain the status quo), rather than increase cost/quality. The Polaris meals one sees now is probably the new norm and expecting it to get better might be a bit optimistic.
From my experience, I don't recall quality really dropping off that much until Kellner left CO and Smisek took the reigns. Granted the Kellner era was very much a copy/paste of the Bethune led CO years, and the whole "rah rah we're the best" mantra seemed to be prevalent. That being said CO in the 2005-2010 period wasn't bad; for every cutback CO made, it seemed as if it didn't stick because they listened to customers. 12F on the 753? Yeah that didn't last long. Reducing the "BF lite" catering on exEWR transcons? Nope it didn't stick until the UA merger. I remember 2006 being an outlier for reduced catering in F, but shortly thereafter it seemed to improve....again until the product harmonization with UA
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Dyce
please explain how if nobody is paying for first, and nobody is getting upgraded, where do all these phantom passengers come from?

you’re right that in the terminals there is generally now better food options than 30 years ago… but IMO that’s generally for the economy pax that get diddly squat in the back these days.

the fact that it is now not uncommon to see First Class passengers bringing purchased food onboard, or items from the UC is a CLEAR indicator that United’s ‘premium’ product is far from premium and for a large number of passengers is unacceptable.
It's not a "premium" product in the way you are using that term. There is no "premium" domestic class except for the select transcons (which are marketed as "premium".
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
It's not a "premium" product in the way you are using that term. There is no "premium" domestic class except for the select transcons (which are marketed as "premium".
My bad... I was relying on United's website: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ing/first.html
The one where it says PREMIUM at the top of the page.
So I think you're saying United is engaging in deceptive advertising if there's "not a 'premium' product" ??
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
IMO domestic catering was fine circa 2016, when three-choice mealsets were standard for transcons and there was quite a bit of variety. There was a continuous cycle of cuts since then.

Similarly, the onboard catering with the initial Polaris rollout was decent and it has degraded steadily ever since.

United, nor any US carrier, has never come close to matching foreign soft product standards on flag carriers, at least in my lifetime.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dyce
My bad... I was relying on United's website: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ing/first.html
The one where it says PREMIUM at the top of the page.
So I think you're saying United is engaging in deceptive advertising if there's "not a 'premium' product" ??
"Reliance" has a legal meaning which is not "taking some marketing literature off a website when one knows exactly what the actual product is".

No, United First is not a premium product, yes, customers know exactly what they get, and no, United is not engaging in deceptive advertising.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.