Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Should I book a BR (Eva Air) flight with transit at TPE?

Should I book a BR (Eva Air) flight with transit at TPE?

Old Apr 27, 22, 1:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 609
Should I book a BR (Eva Air) flight with transit at TPE?

I want to travel from the US to HKG using my United miles. The only saver option for Biz class is on EVA Air via Taipei. Currently, TPE is closed to foreigners (I am one), even for transit.
I am hoping that in fall 2022, it will be open for transit.
I understand that United charges $100 if an award ticket is cancelled within 30 days of travel.
So, for my case, if Taipei still doesn't open up for transit within this time frame and I have to cancel my flight, I would like to get this fee waived.
I called the MP 1-800 number twice and spoke to two agents. One said that I would be entitled to a refund, but I would have to ask for it retroactively. The other told me that United is not charging cancellation fees for now, but he doesn't know when this policy lasts till. Also, when fall comes and TPE is still not open, then United will rebook me on a different flight to HKG.

So, should I still go ahead with this booking? Who should I trust? Two agents said different things (surprise, surprise). I will need to transfer Chase points to United and I don't have an alternative use for these points for now.
Barkinpark is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 2:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,550
Originally Posted by Barkinpark View Post
I want to travel from the US to HKG using my United miles. The only saver option for Biz class is on EVA Air via Taipei. Currently, TPE is closed to foreigners (I am one), even for transit.
I am hoping that in fall 2022, it will be open for transit.
I understand that United charges $100 if an award ticket is cancelled within 30 days of travel.
So, for my case, if Taipei still doesn't open up for transit within this time frame and I have to cancel my flight, I would like to get this fee waived.
I called the MP 1-800 number twice and spoke to two agents. One said that I would be entitled to a refund, but I would have to ask for it retroactively. The other told me that United is not charging cancellation fees for now, but he doesn't know when this policy lasts till. Also, when fall comes and TPE is still not open, then United will rebook me on a different flight to HKG.

So, should I still go ahead with this booking? Who should I trust? Two agents said different things (surprise, surprise). I will need to transfer Chase points to United and I don't have an alternative use for these points for now.
If you book now, they can't add on cancellation fees later. The rules when you purchase prevail.

Whether they will rebook you is the more important question. The free cancellation is great, but are you ok cancelling the trip if that happens?

Personally I would never transfer Chase pts to UA (they are far too valuable) but that's another matter.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 3:42 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 609
Thank you.

May I pick your brain on:
-United's website still says cancellation costs $100 if done within 30 days of travel. However, it was the phone agent who told me that there are no cancellation fees. How should I hold them accountable if there is a dispute?

-Chase points--in your opinion, how should they be used optimally?

-I also have Marriott points--are they good for United's MP?

Thanks very much again.
Barkinpark is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 4:07 pm
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb
Posts: 5,470
Originally Posted by Barkinpark View Post
Thank you.

May I pick your brain on:
-United's website still says cancellation costs $100 if done within 30 days of travel. However, it was the phone agent who told me that there are no cancellation fees. How should I hold them accountable if there is a dispute?

-Chase points--in your opinion, how should they be used optimally?

-I also have Marriott points--are they good for United's MP?

Thanks very much again.
The agent is correct - there's no fee for cancelling. However, if you want your miles back, there is a redeposit fee based on your status ($100 for Silver, for example). You can always change your itinerary to the distant future and cancel.

Also, for rebooking, it's only available for *A flights that still have saver award seats available at the time of rebooking. UA may choose to open up seats on its own flights, assuming HKG flights will be back, but it's not a requirement on their part.
Barkinpark likes this.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 4:14 pm
  #5  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 61,346
Originally Posted by Barkinpark View Post
I want to travel from the US to HKG using my United miles. The only saver option for Biz class is on EVA Air via Taipei. Currently, TPE is closed to foreigners (I am one), even for transit.
I am hoping that in fall 2022, it will be open for transit.
I understand that United charges $100 if an award ticket is cancelled within 30 days of travel.
So, for my case, if Taipei still doesn't open up for transit within this time frame and I have to cancel my flight, I would like to get this fee waived.
....
Close in cancellation AND redeposit of award ticket vary by status, it is $100 if silver

If the flight operate and you are ineligible for travel, there is generally no fee waiver, UA (and other carriers) have been fairly consistent on this although you do hear of an occasional lucky traveler.

But you don't need to be lucky, you can change for free to a date more 31 days in advance to any route you can find and then cancel for free, at least under present rules. Ths has been true for some time and many have done this successfully

So for now, no risk -- except your miles / points will stay at UA.
SPN Lifer and Barkinpark like this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Apr 27, 22, 6:25 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 28,590
BR business is great. Go for it
cfischer is offline  
Old Apr 28, 22, 5:06 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwest USA
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Posts: 1,897
My opinion only - based on the current situation in Taiwan, it is highly unlikely that TPE will be open for tourists/transit at any point in 2022.

I say this as someone who travels there regularly as an essential worker.
nachosdelux is offline  
Old Apr 28, 22, 10:00 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 716
Taiwan has announced a transit ban through Sept 30.
SPN Lifer likes this.
angetenar is offline  
Old Apr 28, 22, 10:18 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by angetenar View Post
Taiwan has announced a transit ban through Sept 30.
I'm having trouble finding a concrete source on that date. Do you mind posting it?
SPLITTERZ is offline  
Old Apr 28, 22, 11:49 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MBS/FNT/LAN
Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Posts: 9,441
I can't speak to the Sept 30th date. But:

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ View Post
I'm having trouble finding a concrete source on that date. Do you mind posting it?
Its on BR's website:

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-e...s/news-ticker/
May 17, 2021 News Ticker

Effective from 00:00 am on 19MAY2021(local flight schedule departure time). CECC had announced that travelers transiting through Taiwan are temporarily prohibited.
SPLITTERZ likes this.
jhayes_1780 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 22, 2:08 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
I can't speak to the Sept 30th date. But:



Its on BR's website:

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-e...s/news-ticker/
I saw that earlier, just was wondering about the 9/30 date because that could impact OP and their potential travels. Thanks for the reply!
SPLITTERZ is offline  
Old Apr 29, 22, 10:33 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: LAX
Programs: UA
Posts: 716
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ View Post
I'm having trouble finding a concrete source on that date. Do you mind posting it?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34198095-post129.html
SPN Lifer and SPLITTERZ like this.
angetenar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread