Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I book a BR (Eva Air) flight with transit at TPE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

I want to travel from the US to HKG using my United miles. The only saver option for Biz class is on EVA Air via Taipei. Currently, TPE is closed to foreigners (I am one), even for transit.
I am hoping that in fall 2022, it will be open for transit.
I understand that United charges $100 if an award ticket is cancelled within 30 days of travel.
So, for my case, if Taipei still doesn't open up for transit within this time frame and I have to cancel my flight, I would like to get this fee waived.
I called the MP 1-800 number twice and spoke to two agents. One said that I would be entitled to a refund, but I would have to ask for it retroactively. The other told me that United is not charging cancellation fees for now, but he doesn't know when this policy lasts till. Also, when fall comes and TPE is still not open, then United will rebook me on a different flight to HKG.

So, should I still go ahead with this booking? Who should I trust? Two agents said different things (surprise, surprise). I will need to transfer Chase points to United and I don't have an alternative use for these points for now.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
I want to travel from the US to HKG using my United miles. The only saver option for Biz class is on EVA Air via Taipei. Currently, TPE is closed to foreigners (I am one), even for transit.
I understand that United charges $100 if an award ticket is cancelled within 30 days of travel.
So, for my case, if Taipei still doesn't open up for transit within this time frame and I have to cancel my flight, I would like to get this fee waived.
I called the MP 1-800 number twice and spoke to two agents. One said that I would be entitled to a refund, but I would have to ask for it retroactively. The other told me that United is not charging cancellation fees for now, but he doesn't know when this policy lasts till. Also, when fall comes and TPE is still not open, then United will rebook me on a different flight to HKG.

So, should I still go ahead with this booking? Who should I trust? Two agents said different things (surprise, surprise). I will need to transfer Chase points to United and I don't have an alternative use for these points for now.
If you book now, they can't add on cancellation fees later. The rules when you purchase prevail.

Whether they will rebook you is the more important question. The free cancellation is great, but are you ok cancelling the trip if that happens?

Personally I would never transfer Chase pts to UA (they are far too valuable) but that's another matter.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.

May I pick your brain on:
-United's website still says cancellation costs $100 if done within 30 days of travel. However, it was the phone agent who told me that there are no cancellation fees. How should I hold them accountable if there is a dispute?

-Chase points--in your opinion, how should they be used optimally?

-I also have Marriott points--are they good for United's MP?

Thanks very much again.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Thank you.

May I pick your brain on:
-United's website still says cancellation costs $100 if done within 30 days of travel. However, it was the phone agent who told me that there are no cancellation fees. How should I hold them accountable if there is a dispute?

-Chase points--in your opinion, how should they be used optimally?

-I also have Marriott points--are they good for United's MP?

Thanks very much again.
The agent is correct - there's no fee for cancelling. However, if you want your miles back, there is a redeposit fee based on your status ($100 for Silver, for example). You can always change your itinerary to the distant future and cancel.

Also, for rebooking, it's only available for *A flights that still have saver award seats available at the time of rebooking. UA may choose to open up seats on its own flights, assuming HKG flights will be back, but it's not a requirement on their part.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Close in cancellation AND redeposit of award ticket vary by status, it is $100 if silver

If the flight operate and you are ineligible for travel, there is generally no fee waiver, UA (and other carriers) have been fairly consistent on this although you do hear of an occasional lucky traveler.

But you don't need to be lucky, you can change for free to a date more 31 days in advance to any route you can find and then cancel for free, at least under present rules. Ths has been true for some time and many have done this successfully

So for now, no risk -- except your miles / points will stay at UA.
SPN Lifer and Barkinpark like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
BR business is great. Go for it
Old Apr 28, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
My opinion only - based on the current situation in Taiwan, it is highly unlikely that TPE will be open for tourists/transit at any point in 2022.

I say this as someone who travels there regularly as an essential worker.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: UA
Taiwan has announced a transit ban through Sept 30.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
Taiwan has announced a transit ban through Sept 30.
I'm having trouble finding a concrete source on that date. Do you mind posting it?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I can't speak to the Sept 30th date. But:

Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
I'm having trouble finding a concrete source on that date. Do you mind posting it?
Its on BR's website:

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-e...s/news-ticker/
May 17, 2021 News Ticker

Effective from 00:00 am on 19MAY2021(local flight schedule departure time). CECC had announced that travelers transiting through Taiwan are temporarily prohibited.
SPLITTERZ likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I can't speak to the Sept 30th date. But:

Its on BR's website:

https://www.evaair.com/en-us/about-e...s/news-ticker/
I saw that earlier, just was wondering about the 9/30 date because that could impact OP and their potential travels. Thanks for the reply!
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34198095-post129.html
SPN Lifer and SPLITTERZ like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.