Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight in first to OGG sold out months in advance for pre-thanksgiving

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador

I'm looking to book a first class flight (ORD-OGG) on 11/18/22 and it's showing that the first class cabin is completely sold out already. It may be worth noting that I actually looked to book this flight in March but couldn't because it was sold out. Is this typical? I've never seen this before

Last edited by mgobluetex; Apr 17, 2022 at 12:12 pm Reason: Add date
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgobluetex
I'm looking to book a first class flight (ORD-OGG) in November and it's showing that the first class cabin is completely sold out already. It may be worth noting that I actually looked to book this flight in March but couldn't because it was sold out. Is this typical? I've never seen this before
Hard to help without a date.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Hard to help without a date.
Sorry, date added to original post. Outbound flight is on 11/18/22 and I only need one ticket.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sorry, date added to original post. Outbound flight is on 11/18/22 and I only need one ticket.
Otherwise known as the Friday before Thanksgiving. The seat map is showing only 3 seats unassigned, so the flight being sold out does seem very likely.

DEN-OGG on the same day is J1 (one business class seat available). There are a number of options available via SFO, but even those only have a small number of seats available, and none on the one 777 flight (the only lie-flat seats).
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
Otherwise known as the Friday before Thanksgiving. The seat map is showing only 3 seats unassigned, so the flight being sold out does seem very likely.

DEN-OGG on the same day is J1 (one business class seat available). There are a number of options available via SFO, but even those only have a small number of seats available...
Jeez. I know it's the Friday before Thanksgiving but I never would have imagined that J would sold out 8 months in advance. I guess I'll have to route through DEN or SFO.

I'm pretty sure that at least 1 person will change their schedule prior to departure but not sure I'm willing to play roulette and not be able to fly in J.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Jeez. I know it's the Friday before Thanksgiving but I never would have imagined that J would sold out 8 months in advance. I guess I'll have to route through DEN or SFO.

I'm pretty sure that at least 1 person will change their schedule prior to departure but not sure I'm willing to play roulette and not be able to fly in J.
That's your call. And, besides, there are other routes and dates and airlines if you don't see what you want. It's just money.

David
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:43 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM

If you are booking full fare J changes will be free. Book the best you can find today and keep an eye on preferred routing and change if/when it opens up.

Does not seem strange to me, when I lived in NZ I would book Xmas flights 330 days out or whenever they opened up.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K
We have two vacation rentals in Maui that often get booked for Christmas and Thanksgiving a year in advance (which is generally the earliest they can be). I wouldn't be surprised to see flights get booked pretty much immediately when the window opens.
wrp96 and Air Houston like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tht
If you are booking full fare J changes will be free.
Changes are free regardless of fare class (assuming not booking basic economy)
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I have lived in California all my life (second-generation, in fact). But 40 years ago I was told "There is a reason why people moved thousands of miles from their families on the East Coast. And every Thanksgiving and Christmas Hawaii is suddenly full of people who can say "Oh, gee, we would have loved to have come home to see the family for the holidays, but we are going to be in Hawaii then."
DELee, wrp96, sexykitten7 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:27 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Changes are free regardless of fare class (assuming not booking basic economy)
but there needs to be availability in that fare class …if a J seat opens up on a sold out flight I doubt they are selling it at a discount… or letting someone change to it without paying the fare difference.
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
…. I guess I'll have to route through DEN or SFO….
Plenty of seats ORD-HNL non-stop. Plenty of 22 minute flights to Maui from Honolulu.
mgobluetex, ajf87, dcjono and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:23 pm

Odds of equipment change are high and there are many AA employees who are entitled to positive First Class on the route.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Centurion
Odds of equipment change are high and there are many AA employees who are entitled to positive First Class on the route.
On UA flights?

David
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Centurion
UA flies non-stop ORD-HNL. AA isn't the only one that does

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.