Search

New Polaris Seats? with doors?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
New Polaris Seats? with doors?

https://viewfromthewing.com/united-u...s-class-seats/

VTFW is reporting that there may be a new Polaris seat coming with a door soon. I'd say this is needed, simply to keep up with AA and DL, both of which have or will have doors on their seats.

That said, I hope that the current Polaris seats do not become the default on the Hawaii fleet, like the older seats had been once Polaris had started to be installed. The Polaris Seats are too private for premium leisure routes where people are often traveling together. Something like the old LATAM seats that are appearing on the 350s DL recently bought would be a far better product on premium leisure routes as they are friendly for couples sitting together, AND far better for sleeping with no small footwells
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:22 am

If they just add a door to the current seat they're going to feel even more claustrophobic than they do today.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by worldtrav
If they just add a door to the current seat they're going to feel even more claustrophobic than they do today.
Agreed - but while adding a door to the "inside seats" (such as those closest to the window) might be possible, I can't see any way to add a door to the others. Maybe they'll try a Jet Blue model and offer two different products.

Rather than adding a door, I wish they would spend $10-20 more per Polaris passenger and offer at least a reasonably decent meal.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
The hard product is fine - any modifications would take 5-7 years - UA couldn't even Polarize the full fleet during a pandemic.

Agreed with the above, spend the $ on the soft product.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: UA
Why do people like doors so much?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I mean, the space to get into the seat in the odd numbered rows is no more than 10" and it's extremely private. In United fashion, they'd probably add them and then roll them back 9 months later like they did with the polaris service when it launched lol.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
A next gen version of the current seat customized for narrowbodies seems inevitable given the forthcoming Max 10s and A321neos. What that means for the widebody fleet, agree. The Even numbered seats skewed toward the aisle would certainly benefit from a door.

Agree on the soft product - but given their focus on ratcheting down all operating expenses, hard product things are all we might get.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I recently flew Qatar QSuites. They offered far better service (including food and wine), far more space and doors. Doors were nice to have, I suppose, but I didn’t use it (and nor did most of the other passengers). Service and space were the real standouts. This is what would make UA distinctive in its market.
becks1 and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Unless the seating setup is a suite style that goes all the way up like you see on some A380s doors are useless. Anyone walking down the aisle can peer into your area just the same. I don't understand it...its like faux privacy. Total gimmick.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4
Unless the seating setup is a suite style that goes all the way up like you see on some A380s doors are useless. Anyone walking down the aisle can peer into your area just the same. I don't understand it...its like faux privacy. Total gimmick.
I agree. Sitting in either an even or odd row, I rarely see anyone in a nearby seat. I have only had doors once, on the OZ A380 in F. It was nice but not game changing.
cesco.g and uanj like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Perhaps,. the doors will be for new Polaris First Class (international) if United chooses to have that class of service back.
It is unlikely to add doors to the current Polaris seats. So, I do not think that UA will act.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Totally agree with the "doors are mostly gimmick" comments, though it would help with the (even numbered) seats that are exposed to the aisle as also mentioned above.

The best thing UA could do to improve its image and sell more seats to high-end travelers is improve its soft product and thus its reputation for providing a horrible travel experience. Current management seems utterly tone deaf on this point. Oscar got it and that's why he was such a breath of fresh air.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
As others have commented, doors won't help Polaris.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The difference between opex and capex…

Doors are a gimmick but they are becoming a competitive necessity just like all-aisle-access (not a gimmick) did five years ago.

A UA rep told me the Optima seat is compatible with doors but that they weren’t selected due to aisle width minimums. Something would have to give, in that regard. I suspect the NB product (321XLR and 737-10) will have doors like JetBlue’s new Mint.
wxguy, jjj8 and oopl like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best business class seat to this day is the CX style cirrus lie flat. Simple design, functional and comfortable to lounge and sleep in with enough room to not feel confined.

No other seat comes close to the functionality and comfort of this design. Doors, zigzag layout, forward/backward, flip it over into a bed, I’ve tried them all. I’d choose the CX seat over anything else although nowadays it’s sadly a 2 year old memory.

Polaris pales in comparison and adding a door won’t make a difference.
dw, kenjih, John Portland and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.