Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay (and earn status) or use miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Pay (and earn status) or use miles?

I'm United Silver, at least this year. I'm not clear what I would be in 2023. Haven't flow in 2 years.
I have 400,000+ miles in my account.

Would appreciate some feedback on this question.

If I'm ready to fly this year, some domestic, some international. (I'm in CA)
Is it worth more to pay and try to get to Gold?
Or just use my miles and ignore status chasing?

Opinions appreciated thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'd want to know the cost of a particular trip in miles vs. in cash.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is a very personal decision and depends on what you value and desire

Award flights - have limited availability

What is the redeem rate (cents per mile) you are seeing?

What would you do with the miles otherwise?

What status would you earn?

If Silver, what benefits do you value? ANd is there a cheaper way to get those (credit cards, E+ subscription, ...)
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Please note, I've never done this.
Can I pay for a flight and upgrade using miles?
Would I still get the award miles if doing so?

Thanks.
I'm no expert in the minutaie.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotscot

Thanks.
You can pay cash for a flight and upgrade using miles. I did this when working for an employer who would only pay for premium economy on long hauls. Depending on the original booking code, it may require a cash copay as well as miles.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Thanks.
You get status PQPs for the cash purchase (and for the copay if any), the mileage upgrade would not change that nor change the award miles (based on the purchase PQPs)
Old Apr 4, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You can pay cash for a flight and upgrade using miles. I did this when working for an employer who would only pay for premium economy on long hauls. Depending on the original booking code, it may require a cash copay as well as miles.
Whether or not the upgrade request will be cleared is another totally different question, especially, for general member and Premier Silver.
If OP's flight date is flexible, try to find flights with PZ space and get the upgrade request cleared immediately.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Whether or not the upgrade request will be cleared is another totally different question, especially, for general member and Premier Silver.
If OP's flight date is flexible, try to find flights with PZ space and get the upgrade request cleared immediately.
Good point, this was as Premier Plat.

I also once paid $650 to upgrade from PE to J (SFO-FRA). This was especially nice because since it was confirmed (not waitlisted) immediately I had access to the Polaris lounge in SFO (the only time I've ever had access).

This was quite a while ago. I only remember the details because I was recently talking to my friend about lounges, and remembered that I once had access to that lounge but I could not remember why, because I knew I had never paid for Polaris and I could not remember ever getting a UA award ex-SFO. So I searched my email for "Polaris" and my upgrade confirmation from 2017 popped up. At that time I don't believe I had any status (at that time I was flying VX/AS for most of my domestic flights; I only added UA as a secondary airline when I started having to go to Helsinki for work)

The moral here is that it is (or was) the case that you can sometimes buy PE and upgrade to J for significantly cheaper than buying J outright.
VRFast likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:21 pm

Haven't flow in 2 years..
I don’t think you fly frequently enough. Stay at silver, or even zero status.

Once you start flying United, say, 7 or 8 times a year, then maybe status might become worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.