Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PremiumPlus soft product changes - March 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PremiumPlus soft product changes - March 2022?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by threecap
Can I purchase a liquor drink (or use a drink coupon) in PremPlus, even though it's not complimentary?
Good question that I should probably be able to answer. I'm not sure as I resigned myself to red wine and proceeded to sleep almost immediately afterwards. I have another flight in Premium Plus next week. I'll make sure to ask about liquor for purchase if again it isn't complimentary.
threecap likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Sure, some might fly another airline if it’s just as convenient as UA, but I’m not going to add 4 extra hours to my travel time and potentially back track for a better meal. And UA knows that.
Depends on what the meal is. This is FlyerTalk after all.

David
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau
. I contacted two friends in Chicago, who said the message is clear on United Next - exec leaders truly believe the hard product carries the day - new seats, aircraft, TVs, etc - and claim to have tons of “customer data” to support this.

My friend in Finance said the guidance is getting focused now on everything that is operating expense - soft products, meals, labor / staffing levels, virtual vs in-person, compensation. We are already seeing this.
Funny how the vast majority of brand name airlines around the world (who do devote attention and resources toward soft product, at least more attention than UA) seem to have a different view. Does UA management have some special insight that the rest of the world's airlines don't?
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Funny how the vast majority of brand name airlines around the world (who do devote attention and resources toward soft product, at least more attention than UA) seem to have a different view. Does UA management have some special insight that the rest of the world's airlines don't?
It's probably due to the fact that United has for a long time relied upon business travelers flying on OPM. They just want to get to where they are going in a somewhat comfortable manner. It's not their money they are spending, so top notch service is not as important to them as someone who is spending his/her own money for premium cabin travel
dw and rankourabu like this.

Last edited by Unitedloyalflyer; Apr 16, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:32 am

Any post mask rule changes?

On a PP DEN-LHR 2 weeks ago (with mask order in place) there was no hard liquor, and no refill offers. Pretty disappointing.

Has anyone flown long haul PP since the US mask order was yanked last week?
Looking at LHR-DEN soon and wondering what to expect.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nekbet
On a PP DEN-LHR 2 weeks ago (with mask order in place) there was no hard liquor, and no refill offers. Pretty disappointing.

Why would there be a change to the soft product after mask rules changed?
FLYMSY and Wooglin like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Has anyone flown long haul PP since the US mask order was yanked last week? ....
As the thread discusses, the removal of spirts / hard liquor is a recent change and UA was well aware that a change in the mask mandate was on the horizon. And as other drinks / alcohol are offered, it would appear the recent change for PremPlus was more likely a expense issue and not related to masking.
nekbet likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Why would there be a change to the soft product after mask rules changed?
Ah, I left out the part that the FA told me told me "we aren't serving liquor while everyone has to be masked"
which I thought was a silly excuse.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, I left out the part that the FA told me told me "we aren't serving liquor while everyone has to be masked"
which I thought was a silly excuse.
Someone still leaning on the old 'because covid' crutch, I see.

As WineCountryUA pointed out from earlier in this thread, cost considerations only.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 3:31 pm

Live and lets fly reporting that the full Polaris breakfast is returning to PP for flights longer than 9 hours
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Don’t know if this counts but I recently paid for a Premium Plus seat SFO-EWR. It was ticketed as Premium Plus (Fare class A) and showed up separate from economy at booking, etc, etc.

I personally slept the whole flight so I didn’t mind not getting service. But, the FAs came through the cabin selling snack boxes and charging for alcoholic beverages. At least one person near me got in a fight about it, but I don’t think the FAs budged!

Then when deplaning I heard the FA talking to her colleague about how catering accidentally stocked a bunch of extra “hot meals” .

Oh well lol. I give this one a break because I’m sure there’s a lot of confusion about domestic PP service — given that it’s only a thing on transcon routes and other times it actually is basically the same as economy!
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by blahmeh14; Apr 30, 2022 at 5:01 pm
Old Apr 30, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Flew PP on Sunday (IAD - LHR). There was wine/beer offered for the first drinks run, wine/beer offered with dinner, and when they cleared my tray an FA saw my empty glass and offered a 3rd. First wine was from the big bottle on the drink cart and the second two were mini bottles. Didn’t bother asking about liquor based on the threads here and wine was perfectly fine for the short hop to London.

No complaints there given the 1010pm departure.

Breakfast was also offered (didn’t have) and I would say mask wearing in PP was probably 35% (including me when not eating).
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by blahmeh14
Don’t know if this counts but I recently paid for a Premium Plus seat SFO-EWR. It was ticketed as Premium Plus (Fare class A) and showed up separate from economy at booking, etc, etc.

I personally slept the whole flight so I didn’t mind not getting service. But, the FAs came through the cabin selling snack boxes and charging for alcoholic beverages. At least one person near me got in a fight about it, but I don’t think the FAs budged!

Then when deplaning I heard the FA talking to her colleague about how catering accidentally stocked a bunch of extra “hot meals” .

Oh well lol. I give this one a break because I’m sure there’s a lot of confusion about domestic PP service — given that it’s only a thing on transcon routes and other times it actually is basically the same as economy!
That FA should be summarily fired
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Live and lets fly reporting that the full Polaris breakfast is returning to PP for flights longer than 9 hours
​​​​​​
​​​​​Can confirm, just had it a few hours ago on LAX-SYD
Wooglin likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:42 pm

I posted something specific about my intl. PP meal in that thread. Reading back through this thread, it reminded me that there was one drink service - that served with dinner. After dinner, a mini bottle of water was handed to me. That was it - no offer refills, no 'would you like anything else.

I glad I tried the PP product, in terms of the seat on a 763, EWR LHR, especially after walking through Y on a full flight. I had a bit of sleep, which was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.