Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Steak & Potatoes for UA Flight Attendents' crew meal on flight with no passenger meal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steak & Potatoes for UA Flight Attendents' crew meal on flight with no passenger meal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
As I said earlier, the metrics for when a crew meal is boarded is different than for passengers. If I was flying EWR-ATL I wouldn't get a meal, either, unless I had flights before/after with less than 90 minutes on the ground. In other words, those F/As didn't get meals because of the EWR-ATL flight, they got meals because the combinations of flights that day.

Originally Posted by Visconti
I've always been curious about something, and perhaps you can shed some light on this, if you don't mind. Often because of late dinners, I end up not eating my dinner in F on long flights and I've often heard jokes from those around me that the crew will be happy that they'll get to have my F dinner. Is there any truth to this?
More likely would be a scheduled crew meal goes uneaten. There's been cases where unwanted passenger meals are eaten by crewmembers but how many chicken and orzo meals does someone want on a four-day trip?

I tend to like the breakfasts more than the lunches or dinners. I tend to get those on my own when the schedule permits.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I don't see a similar quality reference in the pilot's contract...and I can't really imagine the company splurging when they don't have to
There is similar wording. I don't remember exactly what it says. The entrée is usually exactly the same as what is, or would be, offered to the passengers. There is some variation based on the catering station but it's still the same as what FC is served. They're not required to offer us anything better and nobody expects them to.
artvandalay and Visconti like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LarryJ
There is similar wording. I don't remember exactly what it says. The entrée is usually exactly the same as what is, or would be, offered to the passengers. There is some variation based on the catering station but it's still the same as what FC is served. They're not required to offer us anything better and nobody expects them to.
If one pays attention, especially on cross country flights, many a FA brings their own meal so that a) they have what they want and b) they don't have to eat chicken and orzo yet one more time.

David
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J_Stroming
I agree they should not be eating in front of passengers. They should be given a break pre/post flight, or eat away from the passengers. The “don’t have time in between flights” is baloney, many of us have connecting flights without enough time to eat. The company should be giving them adequate time to eat.
So you are saying UA should ensure crew has 30-60 minutes or something between flights (for F/As this would mean after the last passenger is off their inbound and before boarding starts for their outbound)? I am pretty sure that would be OK with most F/As and the AFA. United probably wouldn't like it though because it would effectively shorten F/As' useful time on duty and could negatively impact aircraft usage, for example where there is now a tight turn at an outstation, the plane would have to sit for an extra hour or so.

Question though, what happens when the inbound is late? Delay the outbound so they can get their break?

And for what it’s worth, the meals for flight attendants and pilots is much better than business class.
False. They are identical. Just labeled "Crew" and generally put in a separate cart from passenger meals.

ETA - slight correction - the immediately above is for domestic. On int'l flights they will load extra front-cabin meals for the crew in the same location and without labeling anything "Crew." For example if the cabin has 36 seats and is fully booked, and there is a crew of 10, they will load 46 front cabin meals. This gives the passengers more choice because of just having 12 of each of three choices available, there will be more like 15 during order-taking time. The F/As will choose from whatever is left. (At least that is how it used to be done.)

Originally Posted by prestonh
So the customer side is treated differently by UA.
Yes and it is very unfair! Pilots get a nice seat up front with a great view. And passengers can sleep as soon as they board until it is time to deplane, while F/As can't. The injustice of it all!

Originally Posted by Visconti
I've always been curious about something, and perhaps you can shed some light on this, if you don't mind. Often because of late dinners, I end up not eating my dinner in F on long flights and I've often heard jokes from those around me that the crew will be happy that they'll get to have my F dinner. Is there any truth to this?
Yes absolutely, they can have what is left after all passengers have been served, and often let pilots know there is an extra meal. They can NOT take anything off the plane though (terminable offense); everything must be consumed on board.

(Former UA F/A here BTW.)
PTahCha, DenverBrian and wpcoe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2022 at 11:34 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
If it makes you feel any better, crew have to pay for these meals. I recall prices around $10 10 or so years ago. I would be unhappy if I were paying $15 or $20 for present day United domestic F meals.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Joshua
If it makes you feel any better, crew have to pay for these meals. I recall prices around $10 10 or so years ago. I would be unhappy if I were paying $15 or $20 for present day United domestic F meals.
We do not pay for our crew meals.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Had to search high and low, but the OP is just not flying the right flights...

PTahCha and J_Stroming like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The same "nice looking steak and potato and salad" served to customers would probably become "dried piece of hockey puck and sad salad. I would rather have something healthy instead".

The bottom line is UA does not serve any food on this flight. There might be a miscatering that caused the lack of 2 snacks and a baby bottle of water, but that would not satiate OP regardless. The flight attendants are entitled to their meal, and OP is envious of what they can't have, and it's ridiculous to suggest that, by policy, UA is making first class passenger to watch FA eating meal while having nothing served to them. Which, of course, is probably another hyperbole.

Or book on an airline that offers food on the route. Which, of course, none does.
I think Delta and Jet Blue are supposed to at least provide a snack (as well as UA). OP indicates he did not even receive a pretzel so it certainly looks bad.
And ofcourse there are other routes where UA's service doesn't compare to its competitors but that's another discussion
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Crikey, I thought that I had stumbled into the BAEC forum by mistake!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Why can’t they eat the United snack boxes?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by eng3
I think Delta and Jet Blue are supposed to at least provide a snack (as well as UA). OP indicates he did not even receive a pretzel so it certainly looks bad.
And ofcourse there are other routes where UA's service doesn't compare to its competitors but that's another discussion
JetBlue does not have a first class. And as already discussed, it appears to be a catering error. If OP were to note that the crew was enjoying stroopwafel, then that's a different story.

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
The boxes taste like cardboard. Also, they are not catered for the short flight, even in coach.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard to digest cellulose. And the graphics leave an aftertaste.

David
DenverBrian and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Hard to digest cellulose. And the graphics leave an aftertaste.

David
I’ve flown 3 separate 6 hour flights in 2 days. All that was available on each flight was a snack box. Is it good enough for customers but not for FAs?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve flown 3 separate 6 hour flights in 2 days. All that was available on each flight was a snack box. Is it good enough for customers but not for FAs?
If their negotiated agreement indicates that they are due a meal because of their work schedule, no.

Also, the snack boxes, if catered, are for paying customers. Not sure why they have to eat our food and have to pay for it as well.

David
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I’ve flown 3 separate 6 hour flights in 2 days. All that was available on each flight was a snack box. ...
route, time of day, cabin?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
route, time of day, cabin?
Economy cabin, as my Plus Points never clear. Flight 1 was a 12 Noon departure. Flight 2 was a 11 PM departure. Flight 3 was an 8:30 AM departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.