Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Routing for UA flyer (Paid/Miles) to South Africa (JNB, CPT, ...){Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM

I have booked 4 econ awards tickets to CapeTown from Houston in June - I am trying to secure Biz class - checking everyday - I can get to JNB and CPT but am struggling on the return - only flights showing in Biz are EgyptAir via CAI - is that a viable option? Will LH or SA appear as we get closer? Other routings recommended? Thanks.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
You might try a return on LH via MEX depending on the day of the week usually quite a bit of biz award space.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Thanks - my challenge is getting out of JNB - any thoughts? Is EgyptAir biz class ok?
Old May 10, 2014, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SuiteFlyer
Thanks - my challenge is getting out of JNB - any thoughts? Is EgyptAir biz class ok?
Try looking here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...periences.html
Old May 10, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: Platinum
Don't mean to thread jack, but is it possible to go JNB-HKG---IAH? Was wondering about that.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Note that any flight on Egyptair will be dry - unless, of course, it ends up on the sea.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: 1K, UA 2 MM
Until a year or so ago I had no problem booking 2 first or business awards from SEA to JNB. This year I started booking for one person in November of 2013 for an April 2014 award ticket. Every day looking finally secured one date for the outbound and one for the return. Frustrating experience but finally got a United flight to JFK and the SA non stop to JNB. The return was LH via FRA. To obtain multiple premium awards seems almost hopeless unless you want to burn for the Standard Award.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by frankmu
Don't mean to thread jack, but is it possible to go JNB-HKG---IAH? Was wondering about that.
You can...if you book them as two separate tickets...and the miles required for two separate tickets. I tried doing that and was forced to do two tickets. I have seen saver availability for two on JNB-HKG
Old May 10, 2014, 3:21 pm

I have booked 4 econ awards tickets to CapeTown from Houston in June - I am trying to secure Biz class - checking everyday - I can get to JNB and CPT but am struggling on the return - only flights showing in Biz are EgyptAir via CAI - is that a viable option? Will LH or SA appear as we get closer? Other routings recommended? Thanks.
I've been planning a trip for some months now, SAN-LHR(Stop)-CPT, and am excited to have gotten ALL business with the exception of the final IAD-SAN leg on the return.

The only way you will get this in business is if you make changes as segments become available, biting the bullet on fees if necessary. Unfortunately this means you need to get somewhat neurotic about checking flights - even routings that might be somewhat absurd. My current routing is pretty good - through FRA on the way there and the "direct" flight JNB-(DKR)-IAD on the way back. I'm gonna keep looking for the JNB-JFK flight to avoid the technical stop in Dakar, but it is fine as it is if necessary.

Be sure to search everything segment by segment, of course. I used the Star Alliance site to make sure I wasn't missing any options.

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
After reading around I intentionally and actively avoided Egyptair. For some time I was routed through ADD on ET instead,even though I could have routed through CAI on MS. To me, ET's newer 787s, and the fact that MS is dry, made the difference between the two options. Lots of reports of old MS planes with domestic-style first seats. That was eventually replaced with LH through FRA when it came available.

Originally Posted by frankmu
I tried routing through Asia several times (at least 10 different attempts) but was never able to get an agent to ticket it. Most suggested it was a round the world, some said they could do it as multiple awards (though that complicates stopovers, open jaws), etc. I know some reports have suggested it is possible but I encountered no such luck, especially since I'm SAN based and the flight wouldn't be much different in terms of travel time. Keep in mind that if you CAN get an agent to book this - routing through Asia will encounter the Asia segment limits, which from my experience do not exist on awards to SA (My current reservation is 10 segments).
Old May 10, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Help with routing to CPT or JNB

Don't forget LX or TK. Also via GRU on SA. .bomb won't work for some of the above inventory so get a NH ff# and install KVS. Pain in the ... but in one year I'm making 12 award bookings (3 trips x 4 pax) NYC-JNB-Africa beyond. KVS has bailed me out. PM me if I can help.
Old May 11, 2014, 7:10 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I routed JNB to CAI--YYZ--SAN-- spent two days ( a day and a half, really, because we took the red-eye out) in Cairo and really enjoyed it. I think we arrived around 11am and left just after midnight. You could actually route that as a layover and see a couple of the main sites in those hours without staying the night.

We booked two nights but checked out about 10pm on the second night. Used Club Carlson points for the hotel, hired a guide & driver right there at the airport kiosk who took us around to the major sites for a great price. There's hardly any tourists right now, but we (two middle aged women staying with our guide and driver) found it comfortable, in spite of politics, and I'm glad we didn't miss it.

I have a goal: to see as many UNESCO World Heritage sites as I can. And, of course, I'd like to see the 7 wonders of the world.

If the Pyramids are on your bucket list, I highly recommend it!

I found the biz class on Egypt Air to be great. Got some good rest on the way home. Didn't even notice until reading FT yesterday that they didn't serve alcohol... hee hee, I must be getting old!

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; May 11, 2014 at 7:16 am
Old May 11, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by pduck01
Don't forget LX or TK. Also via GRU on SA. .bomb won't work for some of the above inventory so get a NH ff# and install KVS. Pain in the ... but in one year I'm making 12 award bookings (3 trips x 4 pax) NYC-JNB-Africa beyond. KVS has bailed me out. PM me if I can help.
Routing via GRU also requires 2 tickets.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Help with routing to CPT or JNB

I have done it and no it is one ticket. Get supervisor to force it through.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Gold
I was playing with the award calendar yesterday as I too will be looking to redeem for a vacation to trip to CPT and/or JNB for fall 2015. UA flys from Houston to Lagos, Nigeria and then you can continue on to JNB in SA.

Has anyone ever used this combination of flights to get to South Africa?

Depart:
9:20 p.m. Mon., Mar. 9, 2015
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Arrive:2:50 p.m. +1 Day
Tue., Mar. 10, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria (LOS)Flight Time:11 hr 30 mn
Flight: UA142
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner

Change Planes. Connect time in Lagos, Nigeria (LOS) is 7 hours 25 minutes.
Depart:
10:15 p.m.
Tue., Mar. 10, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria (LOS)
Arrive:5:10 a.m. +1 Day
Wed., Mar. 11, 2015
Johannesburg ZA (JNB)Flight Time:5 hr 55 mn
Travel Time:
24 hr 50 mn
Flight: SA61
Operated by South African Airways.
Aircraft: Airbus A340-600

Connection time in Lagos is long and I'm sure you would not want to leave the airport.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
I was playing with the award calendar yesterday as I too will be looking to redeem for a vacation to trip to CPT and/or JNB for fall 2015. UA flys from Houston to Lagos, Nigeria and then you can continue on to JNB in SA.

Has anyone ever used this combination of flights to get to South Africa?

Depart:
9:20 p.m. Mon., Mar. 9, 2015
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Arrive:2:50 p.m. +1 Day
Tue., Mar. 10, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria (LOS)Flight Time:11 hr 30 mn
Flight: UA142
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner

Change Planes. Connect time in Lagos, Nigeria (LOS) is 7 hours 25 minutes.
Depart:
10:15 p.m.
Tue., Mar. 10, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria (LOS)
Arrive:5:10 a.m. +1 Day
Wed., Mar. 11, 2015
Johannesburg ZA (JNB)Flight Time:5 hr 55 mn
Travel Time:
24 hr 50 mn
Flight: SA61
Operated by South African Airways.
Aircraft: Airbus A340-600

Connection time in Lagos is long and I'm sure you would not want to leave the airport.
Haven't done the connection myself, but you may wish to review this thread for recent experiences:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...xperience.html

I personally would look for other options, but reasonable minds may differ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.