Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70 min connecting in DEN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:19 am
Original Poster

70 min connecting in DEN

We’re flying FRA-DEN-LAS in J UA 181 to UA 484 this coming Friday with a 71 minute connection. What’s the chances of us making this?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do you have Global Entry?
Are you a US citizen?
Do you have checked bags?
With both being UA flights the MCT is 70 minutes

Being in arrival J helps getting off the plane early, do you have anything that will slow you personally?

If you arrive early or change to a later departure your chances will be better. This is far from a 100% connection, possible but ....

Was this the way you booked or was there a schedule change?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Do you have Global Entry?
Are you a US citizen?
Do you have checked bags?
With both being UA flights the MCT is 70 minutes

Being in arrival J helps getting off the plane early, do you have anything that will slow you personally?

If you arrive early or change to a later departure your chances will be better. This is far from a 100% connection, possible but ....

Was this the way you booked or was there a schedule change?

No global entry, travelling on an Irish passport with an ESTA. Fully mobile but we do have checked bags.

We were originally booked DUB-EWR-LAS but after numerous schedule changes we opted to change to DUB-FRA-DEN-LAS
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
No global entry, travelling on an Irish passport with an ESTA. Fully mobile but we do have checked bags.

We were originally booked DUB-EWR-LAS but after numerous schedule changes we opted to change to DUB-FRA-DEN-LAS
Well that change of routing really makes it challenging! On your original ticket you would have done US immigration and customs in DUB -- and then when you arrived you would just simply connect to your next flight and baggage would be transferred automatically. Now with a connection via FRA you will clear customs in the US, then wait for your bags, then recheck your bags and go through US security again to connect to your domestic flight -- 70 minutes is VERY tight and I'd have a backup plan in place...
artvandalay likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Well that change of routing really makes it challenging! On your original ticket you would have done US immigration and customs in DUB -- and then when you arrived you would just simply connect to your next flight and baggage would be transferred automatically. Now with a connection via FRA you will clear customs in the US, then wait for your bags, then recheck your bags and go through US security again to connect to your domestic flight -- 70 minutes is VERY tight and I'd have a backup plan in place...
In terms of us having a backup, do you mean I book something (which I assume would void the return flight) or will UA not just rebook us?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In terms of us having a backup, do you mean I book something (which I assume would void the return flight) or will UA not just rebook us?
You could call UA and ask to change to the 7PM flight. Or you could wait until you have a problem but have researched the UA and non-UA options to be prepared to request from UA -- this is not required, UA will do the rebooking but many feel better to have suggested options

Always work with the airline, booking on your own can create new problems as you mention

One warning -- If needed UA will rebook you but this is "Spring Break" times for USA schools and a lot of family vacation is scheduled about now -- especially as COVID issues are waning from many. So planes in recent days have been very full and rebooking options may be limited.

So the issue becomes take a certain extend connection in DEN versus a chance you mis-connection (this is makeabe if nothing goes wrong and things go your way) and then the need to scramble for a replacement. Only you can determine your risk tolerance
andymcdonnell and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Looks like there are two more DEN-LAS flights after yours. If you miss your connection you've got good backups. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Sorry I wasn't more clear -- I meant know what your options are in advance and also know how you prefer to travel.

When I was younger my travel planning was all about efficiency and I wouldn't have even thought twice about a 70 minute connection. Many years later -- and of course now a very different travel world -- I'm more about managing / avoiding stress -- and if it were me today I would probably be stressing about that connection for most of the flight lol - so I would prefer to have the longer connection and spend time in the lounge or eating something decent on the layover (versus airplane food) and then heading to the flight well fed and without stress.... Younger me not so much -- three extra hours in Vegas are you kidding me!

As the other pointed out you could call UA and see if they will put you on the 7pm flight, or you can leave it as is knowing that there are two more flights after yours if something goes wrong... All depends on how you want to travel!
andymcdonnell and CJatSky like this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:37 pm

So for me , I would give myself 70 30 odds but I know the airport really well and have global entry, tsa pre and clear. Tsa pre and clear come in because you have to re clear security. I would say your odds are closer to 50 50, Denver is a pretty decent airport to clear immigrations and the luggage isn’t too horrible but you have a lot to do in 70 minutes keeping in mind your seat can be given away if you aren’t at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure you really don’t even have 70 minutes.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm pretty sure that UA flight is the first widebody that arrives in DEN for the day. You may have a narrowbody with people from Mexico or Canada ahead of you, but it shouldn't be too awful. That said, 70 minutes will be cutting it very close if bags take longer than normal or if immigration takes a while. The other downside is that you're going to have to walk all the way to south security (or back up and over to A security) since you don't have Pre-Check.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Mar 20, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'm pretty sure that UA flight is the first widebody that arrives in DEN for the day. You may have a narrowbody with people from Mexico or Canada ahead of you, but it shouldn't be too awful. That said, 70 minutes will be cutting it very close if bags take longer than normal or if immigration takes a while. The other downside is that you're going to have to walk all the way to south security (or back up and over to A security) since you don't have Pre-Check.
What inbound flight from Canada would require passengers to clear immigration at DEN?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
What inbound flight from Canada would require passengers to clear immigration at DEN?
Sorry. I didn't realize Winnipeg, Calgary, and Edmonton had pre-clearance facilities. (I also haven't flown to/from Canada in like 20 years.)
Old Mar 20, 2022, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by tennessetom
you really don’t even have 70 minutes.
I think people often forget that and assume their connection time is gate-to-gate/how much time they have to maneuver through the airport. But make sure to account for the time it takes to exit a plane and the time when boarding closes for the new flight.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
It’s been a while since I flew international into DEN but if I recall correctly you end up back at the main security area.

Without precheck, I’d say a lot depends on what the security lines are at the time you get there. The rest of the process, customs, train, walk to gate is very efficient at DEN. But I’ve seen non precheck lines pretty regularly exceed 30 mins there.

I’d put your chances of making it a little less than 50%. But as one of the other posters mentioned you have some backup options so I wouldn’t be super concerned about it. If you miss the connection just hit up Smashburger in terminal B 🙂
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I'm responding to this as a longtime United flyer but also as a DEN Ambassador.

Please save these directions!

Once you arrive and process yourself through Customs & Immigration, there will be a United bag recheck just outside of Customs and before you enter the Main Terminal/Great Hall. Use that to recheck your bags. Do NOT go to the full United ticketing counters as that will add a lot of time to your processing.

Next, when you exit the bag recheck area you will be facing the TSA Pre Check security screening. As you are not eligible to use this, and as you are flying on a J ticket, you should take the elevator right there up to Level 6. This elevator will open and you will see a sign for Bridge Security to all Gates.

(This image is where you are exiting - the elevator is right behind where all these people are standing.)

Approach this checkpoint but keep to the far right lane. This lane is for premium passengers and will be much shorter.

Once you have been through security, you will walk across a bridge (same one you walked across on another level when you arrived) and arrive at the A Gates. Your LAS flight may depart the A gates in which case you go right to the gate. If your flight is leaving from the B gates, take the elevator to the lowest level and board a train to the B gates (trains run every two minutes).

70 minutes is a little snug, but being in J and off the plane early and being able to use the TSA checkpoint with a Premium passenger lane that is not at the other end of the Main Terminal will go a long way in speeding you through to your connection.
andymcdonnell and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.