Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:12 am

Now even DEL-SFO doesn't show up on GF until June! WTH is going on. Can't UA make up their mind and why didn't they already have contingency plans in place?!

I have an award on April 1 and that PNR still shows no change or update.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by abcx
Now even DEL-SFO doesn't show up on GF until June! WTH is going on. Can't UA make up their mind and why didn't they already have contingency plans in place?!

I have an award on April 1 and that PNR still shows no change or update.
Just a tip - I was discussing with another FTer that one should *wait* for the official cancellation e-mail from UA before calling in - that's probably why I was getting massive pushback from agents... (And the supervisor!)
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Just a tip - I was discussing with another FTer that one should *wait* for the official cancellation e-mail from UA before calling in - that's probably why I was getting massive pushback from agents... (And the supervisor!)
Yeah, I'm not calling in... since my flight is on April 1, hoping that they figure out an alternative routing by then and automatically re-protect/rebook.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: UA - GS 8 years 1K - many!!, Mariott - Titanium, Hilton - Gold, Avis - President, Hertz - President
It is nice to see so many Delhi/Bom fliers on UA in this group - would be cool to have our own thread? I used to fly 8-10 trips a year to DEL/BOM out of EWR before Covid struck...
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Definitely. That official announcement comes with a waiver for changes and refunds. Absent that, you're making your own choice at your own cost. Pretty clear that it's not flying next week and they're just last minuting the cancellations. Close enough right now that even if they do somehow announce a new plan for the flight, probably not a guarantee that you'll get where you're aiming on time.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 11:46 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by desi
This is true only when you are allowed to take polar route via Russian airspace.

And in any case, EWR-BOM used Russian airspace only for a short duration.
Taking slightly southern route to avoid not only Russian but also Ukrainian airspace adds only 2 pct extra miles as per GCMap

On the other hand, modified EWR-DEL flight will be 13 pct longer
strictly by geography, EWR-BOM is more viable than EWR-DEL or ORD-DEL when trying to avoid Russian airspace.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=del-kbl-gyd-ist-ewr%2Cbom-ewr%2Cbom-kbl-gyd-ist-ewr%2Cbom-dxb-ist-ewr&MS=wls&DU=mi

I think DEL is still shorter even with the southern route. This roughly matches the route UA flights are taking. 500 miles or a few percent might not seem like much, but these are already long flights that is likely weight restricted already.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...825Z/VIDP/KEWR
Old Mar 4, 2022, 1:20 pm

I decided not to risk an April 1 SFO-DEL with me and my Mom in Z. So changed to ORD-DEL instead. Did not wait for cancellation, but managed to get same fare classes etc.

It looked like they had cancelled all flights in March, though have seen conflicting messages on that front.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
UA49?

Have they gone back to UA48/49?
They have not, I've been flying this route since the CO days around 2009 and for all the years its been CO/UA 48/49, UA829 and 830 doesn't sit with me, so Im sticking to UA48/49 and 82/83. It will be back to UA48/49 in the summer.
This is true only when you are allowed to take polar route via Russian airspace.
And in any case, EWR-BOM used Russian airspace only for a short duration.
Taking slightly southern route to avoid not only Russian but also Ukrainian airspace adds only 2 pct extra miles as per GCMap
...strictly by geography, EWR-BOM is more viable than EWR-DEL or ORD-DEL when trying to avoid Russian airspace.
Reason for preferring DEL over BOM is more to do with revenue pax (not award seats or upgrade occupied) load in business. On India routes, all airlines lose money even if economy is sold out completely and business demand is weak.
DEL provides more true revenue pax in business compared to BOM as flight timings provide much better onward connections.
Mumbai's flight wouldn't be feasible for too long nonstop without Russia. On the way in, you'll scratch a small part of Russia as we usually fly over Scandinavia on the way in. However, even though GCmap shows the route using a small part of Russia, this is pretty much never the total route taken on the way back to the US to make the journey feasible because the route goes deep into Russia to take a more polar route due to those strong Atlantic jet streams. That alone would make the route hard to operate without a fuel stop somewhere as the route did do with Bangor in the few days leading up to the cancellation of the route.
What is normal UA practice about its pax stranded in BOM when UA canceled the return portion?
Cutting the rest of your quote for brevity, but to echo earlier points this is not SOP, but flights in and out of India right now on UA are so packed from a mix of weight restrictions and people from canceled flights trying to be rebooked and I guess apparently capacity constraints for booking partner flights they don't have a feasible alternative for now.
Originally Posted by creaturecomforts
It is nice to see so many Delhi/Bom fliers on UA in this group - would be cool to have our own thread? I used to fly 8-10 trips a year to DEL/BOM out of EWR before Covid struck...
Up to WineCountryUA. Would be cool for sure, although with those BOM flights cancelled until the summer/monsoon, Im not sure there's much a discussion, but nevertheless yes I would have a fun time with a thread like that. It's almost like a little family on those routes too I think I've actually ran into a few people who we all recognized each other over the years making the commute on that plane
Originally Posted by m.y
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=del-kbl-gyd-ist-ewr%2Cbom-ewr%2Cbom-kbl-gyd-ist-ewr%2Cbom-dxb-ist-ewr&MS=wls&DU=mi

I think DEL is still shorter even with the southern route. This roughly matches the route UA flights are taking. 500 miles or a few percent might not seem like much, but these are already long flights that is likely weight restricted already.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...825Z/VIDP/KEWR
Yes DEL will be shorter in almost all circumstances flying anywhere compared to Mumbai purely due to latitude differences. And the difference would be even greater if Delhi didn't sit so close to the Himalayas making planes go around.
narvik likes this.

Last edited by flyingrohit; Mar 4, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Old Mar 4, 2022, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My DEL-EWR on the return just got changed to a 787-9 and I lost my bulkhead window and was dumped into a middle instead. Also, remarkably, my SFO-FRA on the backup ticket cleared into F on LH last night, and apparently there are no seats left for sale. Who clears an upgrade a week out into the last available seat? Anyway, those two things plus the general unpredictability of what UA will do on a daily basis are making my decision pretty easy.

Amusingly, 801/802 are not available to buy from March 12th onwards. ORD-DEL currently the only option.
MatthewLAX likes this.

Last edited by cricketer; Mar 4, 2022 at 10:32 pm Reason: added second comment
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:47 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

An elderly relative is booked BOM-EWR-LAX on March 10. He has received an e-mail saying the flight is cancelled, but no information on any alternative, and accordingly is quite worried and upset. What would be the best course of action here?

I tried calling UA, but gave up after being on hold for almost 2 hours.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: United 1K, 2MM, Marriott LT Platinum
I am on an SFO-DEL flight next week which is still on. My return however was showing as "unconfirmed or cancelled" (or words to that effect on UA.com). I called United yesterday and after an hour long wait/call with the 1K line I was rebooked on an DEL-ORD-SFO itinerary. Here's hoping that my outbound is still on next week. As of now, it is.

Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are other
Originally Posted by mehtaym
Called UA this morning and was offered to "press 9 if you are calling about travel between US & India" and within 2 minutes I was connected with an agent who helped me cancel entire reservation for a refund.
is this option available to all? Did not want to tie up the lines to test.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by cricketer
My DEL-EWR on the return just got changed to a 787-9 and I lost my bulkhead window and was dumped into a middle instead. Also, remarkably, my SFO-FRA on the backup ticket cleared into F on LH last night, and apparently there are no seats left for sale. Who clears an upgrade a week out into the last available seat?
LH does.

UA now makes 1Ks wait until the last moment in most cases...

Originally Posted by cricketer
Amusingly, 801/802 are not available to buy from March 12th onwards. ORD-DEL currently the only option.
Really?

This is getting ridiculous...!

How can we even plan with these *alternate* routing options (after our original flights were cancelled) when they are switching things around all the time?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
LH does.

UA now makes 1Ks wait until the last moment in most cases...

Really?

This is getting ridiculous...!

How can we even plan with these *alternate* routing options (after our original flights were cancelled) when they are switching things around all the time?
with the returns outside of Russian airspace from DEL on different A/C UA may be evaluating which routes and A/C match the performance best now that they have actual inflight performance metrics, particularly on the longer WB. the route planners may not be happy with what they saw with the inflight performance with the revised routes so are still trying to adjust.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are otheris this option available to all? Did not want to tie up the lines to test.
It was when I called on Thursday morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.