Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“UA has decided to temporarily suspend transiting Russian airspace"SFO-DEL/BOM impact

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
What reason were u given for not getting DEL? Because I was not given LH's MUC/FRA-BOM as alternatives and EF says there's plenty of seats even under a UA ticket per EF
I tried online and it was giving me SFO-FRA-BLR-DEL on certain days, and nothing to DEL on other days (I guess the BLR flight doesn't run daily). But couldn't book even that - it would error out. So had to call in, and they told me that there was nothing available to DEL unless I wanted to fly on the 24th of March or later. I don't believe that for a second, but the only thing I could get to ticket online was to BLR and if I end up using that, I'll just book Vistara separately to DEL and PNQ I suppose.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by malgudi
"Temporarily"

United Airlines ends its use of Russian airspace, suspends two India routes

At this rate, SFO-BLR is looking even more bleak
Modi being buddy-buddy with Putin hasn't spared India from facing at least some international flight disruptions already. Will Air India be able and willing to do what UA can't/won't in providing non-stop service between India and the US by using Russian airspace?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: UA MM
It looks like ORD-DEL is operating as expected but DEL-ORD is showing cancellations. Where are the aircraft going?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It looks like ORD-DEL is operating as expected but DEL-ORD is showing cancellations. Where are the aircraft going?
Are you asking what happens to the aircraft after getting to DEL? It turns around and comes back (then goes to HND next).
I'm not seeing the DEL-ORD cancellations. There's actually an extra section scheduled for 4 March, for example.
Which day are you looking at?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Are you asking what happens to the aircraft after getting to DEL? It turns around and comes back (then goes to HND next).

I'm not seeing the DEL-ORD cancellations. There's actually an extra section scheduled for 4 March, for example.

Which day are you looking at?
DEL-ORD (UA 899) is cancelled both today (which is "past") and for tomorrow. I do see the extra flight for Friday, though (UA 3049).
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
DEL-ORD (UA 899) is cancelled both today (which is "past") and for tomorrow. I do see the extra flight for Friday, though (UA 3049).
I see it now; forgot about the flat-out dumb behaviour of the website to not show any record of cancelled flights when searching by route.

I guess that's part of them getting caught a little flat footed with the need to reroute.

Looks like they ran the "extra" recovery flight instead of the regular 899 today (2 March), and they're also running only it 3 March as well.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I see it now; forgot about the flat-out dumb behaviour of the website to not show any record of cancelled flights when searching by route.

I guess that's part of them getting caught a little flat footed with the need to reroute.

Looks like they ran the "extra" recovery flight instead of the regular 899 today (2 March), and they're also running only it 3 March as well.
And I missed tomorrow's extra section, too. One way or another, it looks like they'll continue to operate nonstop both directions.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Because I was not given LH's MUC/FRA-BOM as alternatives and EF says there's plenty of seats even under a UA ticket per EF
Exactly what I did and they pushed back immediately.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like they've stopped selling the SFO-DEL non-stop for the foreseeable future. The first date I can see is June 22nd. However, my flight next week still shows up in my reservation and apparently there's no waiver yet so I can't rebook via EWR without paying the full J fare. irritating. Might well end up on the LH flight
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Takes a little longer for them to drop from schedule versus just zero inventory, if they even go ahead with that.

It is worth noting that it is somewhat common in an extraordinary circumstance like this for there to be a top-down hold on reaccomodating customers until a standard policy can be drafted (often with coordination with JV and other affected partners). I wouldn't be surprised if there was a memo to the effect of "don't rebook onto LH Group until we draft an agreement with them". Unfortunately, this sucks if you are traveling very soon and alternative space is vanishing fast.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
At this point I’m probably going to just cancel the UA ticket and book something on LH. No point dealing with this and waiting and crossing my fingers that UA will return. The UA agents are being tough right now saying their computer isn’t letting me get on any JV airlines and I’m not sure why.

i really hope they are just cancelling until they find alternative routing or setup a fuel stop hub kind of like what AC did with Dublin. Because these india routes are high volume and are a lifeline for me and many others for a convenient in and out.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer
Looks like they've stopped selling the SFO-DEL non-stop for the foreseeable future. The first date I can see is June 22nd. However, my flight next week still shows up in my reservation and apparently there's no waiver yet so I can't rebook via EWR without paying the full J fare. irritating. Might well end up on the LH flight
DEL-SFO shows from Mar 13. So I hope they keep flying that and fly SFO-DEL with a technical stop somewhere (FRA or wherever else like CTS).

I guess if they are flying DEL-SFO, they have to fly the reverse sector somehow to get the crew home? Can they do a technical stop for SFO-DEL without the crew going illegal? I guess the easier thing to do is funnel that traffic through EWR or somewhere they have a crew base (does LHR still have one?)?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Thanks all for keeping this thread updated - it's been useful for me to plan. My mom, sister, and I are flying SFO-BLR next week - my mom's routing was SFO-DEL-BLR (w/Vistara) and the same on the return. Out of an abundance of caution, we've already rebooked her on JAL via NRT.

My sister and I are flying LH through FRA on the way there, but BLR-BOM-EWR-SFO on the 19th back; we're opting to keep the reservation as is for now, and hopefully we end up on LH755/454 on the way back. I'll keep the thread updated once I inevitably end up on the phone with the 1K line
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:35 pm

My mom and I have SFO-DEL booked for April 1st, which has not been cancelled (yet). I hope they can get the re-route figured out soon.

Last edited by bhupinde; Mar 2, 2022 at 8:46 pm
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Just as FYI, ex-India oneway J fares on SQ are pretty good to US West Coast - like US$ 1.7k ish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.