Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee
February 16, 2022 Update:

United's Health and Safety Policy
David
Old Feb 22, 2022, 9:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I think you are missing the elephant, the check-in checklist and the statement on the website. The parsing of the meaning of a positive test aside, the Cleveland Clinic is not relevant to the discussion. A positive test is a positive test (even if a false positive). UA clearly states a positive test is the trigger.
if asymptomatic, 10 days after the day the positive test was taken.
benfro6 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99
You have a few masters here: You have to follow Costa Rica's rules, U.S.'s rules, and United's rules. TIMATIC helps agents navigate country-specific travel requirements (for example, the rules for an American to board a flight to the U.S).

But United can and does have their own rules that have nothing to do with TIMATIC, and theirs seems to follow the current CDC guidelines.
I think the issue here is how does he prove its 10 days from his symptoms since they were so minor that he brushed them off and only tested the day before his original flight. In talking to him now he does recall a runny nose and scratchy throat a few days prior to that - I guess the question is that something you need a doctor's note for, or do you just have to convince the ticketing agent at the airport? It seems a bit nebulous.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA MM
Here's a follow up from my wife being in contact with one of the passengers who tested positive:

She called UA to inform them of her positive test result. They rebooked her for five days later and, of course, she had to be retested and receive a negative result. She also commented that UA changed the wait time down to 5 days.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by rudolphoa
I think the issue here is how does he prove its 10 days from his symptoms since they were so minor that he brushed them off and only tested the day before his original flight. In talking to him now he does recall a runny nose and scratchy throat a few days prior to that - I guess the question is that something you need a doctor's note for, or do you just have to convince the ticketing agent at the airport? It seems a bit nebulous.
I think that's just one of the risks/nuances of travel these days. For trust-based situations, counting from first symptoms may work -- I'm involved in an org where a leader had COVID a few weeks ago and we took their word backing up to when symptoms started to know when it was safe tor return. But for rule-based situations, you have to assume that documentable things like test results or a doctor's diagnosis are what will count. In this case, counting from the date the test was taken.

I do know people who took a PCR test a week or so before a vacation, explicitly for this reason -- it would actually be a sort-of-good thing if they tested positive in that "early" test, setting a clear countdown to being considered recovered.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I think you are missing the elephant, the check-in checklist and the statement on the website. The parsing of the meaning of a positive test aside, the Cleveland Clinic is not relevant to the discussion. A positive test is a positive test (even if a false positive). UA clearly states a positive test is the trigger.
But not if the false positive was proven false by subsequent simultaneous testing. (e.g. one false positive antigen test followed by three negative tests within hours of one another).
Old Feb 23, 2022, 3:16 pm

Here's the link for the CDC attestation form for immigration to the USA:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/N...ec2021_508.pdf

It's pretty clear to me that if you present a negative COVID-19 test result from no earlier than the day before departure to the USA then any previous test result is irrelevant. The second section pertaining to recovered individuals is for those who can't produce a negative test as can be the case with full-fledged COVID-19.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
...It's pretty clear to me that if you present a negative COVID-19 test result from no earlier than the day before departure to the USA then any previous test result is irrelevant. ....
For entry into the USA perhaps but UA does not offer that option on their website or checklist, so not sure the relevance as the discussion here is the UA requirements.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:20 pm

For entry into the USA perhaps but UA does not offer that option on their website or checklist, so not sure the relevance as the discussion here is the UA requirements.
It must be relevant as it’s what UA instructed her to do.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The UA requirements are unreasonable in light of current knowledge and circumstances. As an alternative to making a false attestation, one could simply choose to fly another airline (the latter being my choice), but it seems rather silly for UA to force pax to choose between these two options.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:41 pm

It must be relevant as it’s what UA instructed her to do.
UA told the OP the son would need to wait 10 days

Originally Posted by Kacee
The UA requirements are unreasonable in light of current knowledge and circumstances. ...
That may be true but UA is allowed to have a more conservative approach,

Originally Posted by Kacee
As an alternative to making a false attestation, one could simply choose to fly another airline (the latter being my choice), but it seems rather silly for UA to force pax to choose between these two options.
The local authorities were requiring 7 day quarantine, I assume that means the son was not allowed to leave earlier. UA's requirements are clearly posted, while they may be overly conservative, that does not justify a false attestation. As you mentioned, there are alternatives.

It is find to disagree with UA's published requirements but I don't believe that gives one the right to falsely provide information when requested. Requirements have been rather dynamic during this period of time and hopely we will get to a more stable, less restrictive situation soon. But in the meantime one needs to navigation these different ad changing requirements of governments and businesses.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 6:58 pm

UA told the OP the son would need to wait 10 days

…..
Not the same thing as the the OP’s son was given a recovery letter but didn’t have (at least not stated) a negative COVID test. Yes, you have to wait 10 days if your means of entry is a recovery letter.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:05 pm

Not the same thing as the the OP’s son was given a recovery letter but didn’t have (at least not stated) a negative COVID test. Yes, you have to wait 10 days if your means of entry is a recovery letter.
Your are confusing the CDC requirement for entry which discusses a recovery letter (which UA is required to enforce) with the separate UA requirement which states (and makes no mention of a recovery letter)
No travel for 10 days after the start of symptoms, or if asymptomatic, 10 days after the day the positive test was taken.
UA's requirement is clearly more conservative but it is stated.

I don't believe the check-in checklist makes a mention of a recovery letter alternative.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is find to disagree with UA's published requirements but I don't believe that gives one the right to falsely provide information when requested. Requirements have been rather dynamic during this period of time and hopely we will get to a more stable, less restrictive situation soon. But in the meantime one needs to navigation these different ad changing requirements of governments and businesses.
That's a value judgment. Personally, I would equate to flying at day 7 with a negative result to jaywalking across a street devoid of traffic.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Your are confusing the CDC requirement for entry which discusses a recovery letter (which UA is required to enforce) with the separate UA requirement which states (and makes no mention of a recovery letter)

I don't believe the check-in checklist makes a mention of a recovery letter alternative.
It doesnt and it seems like most UA reps dont understand fully what that means. I have heard everything from I need a recovery letter and a negative test to 10 days from the test irrespective when the symptoms started etc. At this point it has kind come down to how I do prove to them when the symptoms started. It seems like an unprovable / unenforceable option on both ends.

On a somewhat related note - is every passenger expected to fill this out CDC Combined-Passenger-Attestation-Amended-Testing-Order-12-02-2021-p.pdf (cant post the actual link)- I just talked to someone that returned last week to the US and they didnt fill this out. Just showed their negative test results to the check in desk and thats it. I ask since this document is pretty clear on the recovery letter language so was hoping the check-in desk would be familiar with it.

While the check-in checklist perhaps doesnt mention it is very clearly mentioned in their Important Notices.html#our-health-and-safety-policy section. Again apologies for not posting an actual link here. But here is the languageThe CDC requires all travelers flying to or transiting through the U.S. from international destinations, including U.S. citizens regardless of vaccination status, to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than one calendar day before departure to the U.S. (beginning December 6, 2021) or documentation of recovery from COVID-19.

The COVID-19 test must:
  • Be a viral test (NAAT or antigen) with a “negative” or “COVID-19 not detected” result (test results marked “invalid” will not be accepted)
  • Be taken no more than one calendar day before departure from the first embarkation point
  • Show written proof of the traveler’s negative test result and include the traveler’s name and other identifying details matching those on the traveler’s passport or other valid form of identification
Documentation of recovery must include:
  • Proof of a positive test result issued at most 90 days before departure (results must state “positive” or “detected” – tests marked “invalid” will not be accepted)
  • A letter from a licensed health care provider or public health official clearing them for travel
  • The traveler’s name and other identifying details matching those on the traveler’s passport or other valid form of identification

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 23, 2022 at 7:53 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.