Wiki Posts
Search

CVG-LAX super bowl

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
CVG-LAX super bowl

Noticed only a few hours after the playoff gave yesterday when Bengals won United loaded 5 charter flights CVG-LAX on Feb 11. That’s pretty quick nice job UA. The Rams won’t need a charter.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:59 am

Looks like AA is also launching nonstop flights for that weekend.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Noticed only a few hours after the playoff gave yesterday when Bengals won United loaded 5 charter flights CVG-LAX on Feb 11. That’s pretty quick nice job UA. The Rams won’t need a charter.
Good point, LA being in the SB eliminates some charter revenue. Yet another reason I am miffed that GB choked yet again
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Granted CVG is the natural for Bengals charters, but I am a touch surprised there is not 1 or 2 for DAY.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
yes, and one on Feb. 12 also. 6 round trips - the returns are on the 13/14. AA/DL also. Also a redeye LAX-CVG on Feb. 12 that goes for about half the price! Don’t think CVG has seen that many 737s a day for like 15 or 20 years!

CVG facebook post:

They almost certainly have these planned, then release the info. as soon as they know what cities need it.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Granted CVG is the natural for Bengals charters, but I am a touch surprised there is not 1 or 2 for DAY.
think it’s too hard for that area. Within about 90 minutes of Cincinnati, you’ve got DAY, CMH, IND, SDF and LEX. Why from DAY but not from CMH, for example (I’ve used both as an alternative when I lived in CVG and it was often the most expensive (by far) of the other options).
Old Jan 31, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Good point, LA being in the SB eliminates some charter revenue. Yet another reason I am miffed that GB choked yet again
Though the 49ers had a 77W charter from UA SJC-LAX-SJC. At least it was a quick flight home after losing last night.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If the Niners had won yesterday, I wonder if UA would have just up-gauged planes or actually increased frequencies from SFO and SJC.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Imagine how bad the L.A.-area hotels are feeling!
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Imagine how bad the L.A.-area hotels are feeling!
As noted in another thread, the Rams/Niners game sounded like it was being played in San Francisco. Rams fans don't travel well...even to their own home games.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA DL AA
Are there normally direct flights between these airports?

Do they add direct flights every year? Each team only gets a few thousand tickets though? It’s a lottery for season ticket holders if a team has like 20,000 season ticket holders?

Most of them won’t see the game in person? LA hotels won’t be cheap either but it’s been a long time for the Bengals so there might be some demand for these tickets.

Some financial analyst also said that Bengals getting into the Super Bowl would lead to more new TV sales than a team like the Rams. Maybe their fans had more newer TVs already?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Aghast Once

Do they add direct flights every year? Each team only gets a few thousand tickets though? It’s a lottery for season ticket holders if a team has like 20,000 season ticket holders?

Most of them won’t see the game in person? LA hotels won’t be cheap either but it’s been a long time for the Bengals so there might be some demand for these tickets.

Some financial analyst also said that Bengals getting into the Super Bowl would lead to more new TV sales than a team like the Rams. Maybe their fans had more newer TVs already?
Checkout lines at Costco are too long...

David
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

When I went to the Raider-Bengals in Vegas last fall - Bengals fans easily outnumbered Raiders fan - so they do travel.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

Probably because people in L.A. tend not to care too much about football, relative to the rest of the country. We didn’t even have a football team for 20 years.

I’m sure that Scott Kirby is pretty disappointed with last night’s outcome.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:58 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

Normally, no. No CVG-LAX.

Yes, almost every year UA does this during the Super Bowl. The fact the Rams are playing at “home” actually means lost revenue for airlines as these flights prove to be very popular. But I’m confident UA knows what they’re doing—and well demonstrated if you check the seat maps. First is sold out on most in both directions at around $2,000 round trip. I bet you most of those flight go out full, or close to. UA also adds flights like this during college football season too. I know they operated a Lincoln-Lansing flight this year, among others, for the simple B10 regular-season conference game when Michigan State hosted Nebraska. People travel to watch their teams—especially if it’s the Super Bowl and especially if their team hasn’t been there in a while.

I’m no expert, but I’ve gotta think hotels might drop a bit in price, since, again, the Rams are playing at home. The (somewhat limited) number of tix the NFC’s representative receives—those folks won’t need hotels. Demand will surely be down, but while the hotels closest to the stadium are sold out or over $1K/night, a quick check of Marriott’s website shows many many “LA Area” hotels for $150 night. 20 miles away, but still not bad, all things considered. I’m sure other brands or OTA sites will reveal similar results. (Not to mention the tons and tons and tons of rooms in LA anyway—far exceeding what would be consumed by those coming in for the game.)

As always, it’s the price of the ticket itself that makes it cost prohibitive for many…But I’ve had several friends, fans of various teams, that went to the Super Bowl host city over the years with no intention of going to the game. Just for the atmosphere, camaraderie and party with their fellow fans.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If the Niners had won yesterday, I wonder if UA would have just up-gauged planes or actually increased frequencies from SFO and SJC.
For SJC-LAX, UA would have had to both upgauge and increase frequency, which is currently at zero. While indeed they did fly the route at one point, it's been many years - probably somewhere in the 5-10 year range since they last flew it. And IIRC, when they did, they were all small regionals (maybe CR2s?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.