Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather 26-30 January 2022 (updated for the weekend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
updated for the weekend

================================================== ==============================

original

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Northeast Winter Weather 26-30 January 2022 (updated for the weekend)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

When do you think will announce waivers for the Saturday storm?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Waivers are rarely more than a day or two of the expected event as forecasts can change.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The forecast will be fine tuned tomorrow and if it still looks like a heavy snow event for the NY Metro area they'll post the waiver Weds night or Thurs morning. Snow could start as early as Friday night up there but generally after the late bank of flights anyway.

-RM
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Have a flight Sat AM ORF-IAD-SFO, want to move it to Friday to beat the storm. If I make the change now and pay the fare difference, and a waiver comes into effect later today or early tomorrow AM (within 24 hours of making the change), any chance I can get the fare difference refunded, or would I be out of luck? (ticket was $160 when purchased, and change would cost $200 right now)
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Have a flight Sat AM ORF-IAD-SFO, want to move it to Friday to beat the storm. If I make the change now and pay the fare difference, and a waiver comes into effect later today or early tomorrow AM (within 24 hours of making the change), any chance I can get the fare difference refunded, or would I be out of luck? (ticket was $160 when purchased, and change would cost $200 right now)
Even before the waiver is issued, you can ask an agent to waive the fare difference. You need to get a source of the weather forecast (e.g., weather,.com) and let the agent document it. You can still wait until Thursday night or Friday morning to do so.
Good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
There's one out now for EWR (and loads of others) for Jan 26-27. Just received an automated text. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html
(
Not for Friday's Nor'easter though)

The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for United flights departing on or before January 27, 2022, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.

Rebooking window: January 27 - February 2, 2022

Airports

• Akron/Canton, OH (CAK)
  • Albany, NY (ALB)
  • Baltimore, MD (BWI)
  • Boston, MA (BOS)​
  • Buffalo, NY (BUF)
  • Cleveland, OH (CLE)
  • Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • Ithaca, NY (ITH)
  • Manchester, NH (MHT)
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
  • Portland, ME (PWM)
  • Presque Isle, ME (PQI)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)
  • Richmond, VA (RIC)
  • Rochester, NY (ROC)
  • State College, PA (SCE)
  • Syracuse, NY (SYR)
  • Washington, DC - Dulles (IAD)
  • Washington-National, DC (DCA)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
  • Allentown, PA (ABE)
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Am really confused- what weather conditions are there in the northeast and mid atlantic today and tomorrow that necessitated this travel waiver, as opposed to one for the storm arriving Friday night?
seanp7, truncated and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Am really confused
Same. Seems like it should cover Friday (28th), Saturday (29th), and possibly Sunday (30th) depending on the severity of the storm.

I am flying at the end of the week, at least I will try.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:32 pm

Despite the 1/26-1/27 original travel dates on the waivers page, when I go to manage booking for my daughter's 1/29 flight to BOS, there is a waiver shown, so it's worth checking if you have a weekend flight.

Not sure whether we're going to try to get her out overnight Thursday (but that complicates some work things here) or Sunday (risking things still being messed up).
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Friday --> Saturday will be a cluster. Why is there a 1/25-1/26 waiver
Some forecasts are calling for 24+ inches for the weekend storm in MA which is a lot, even for MA
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Friday --> Saturday will be a cluster. Why is there a 1/25-1/26 waiver
Some forecasts are calling for 24+ inches for the weekend storm in MA which is a lot, even for MA
Oh man I am NOT looking forward to flying back east now. I am literally digging through my storage locker for the heaviest winter jacket I can find. I don't even have boots that will take that kind of weather
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
Those are worst-case-scenario outliers. That is way more than the current official National Weather Service forecasts are calling for. But, of course, the worst case scenario is what people will focus on.

"Some forecasts" are also calling for the storm to go out to sea and, if anything, just barely graze the Boston area.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Have a flight on 29th and also wonder why the waiver is for 26-27 January 2022. I'm in the NYC area and I'm very certain that the weather was perfect today for flying. Every other airline I've checked has the waiver for 28 & 29th when the storm is forecasted to hit so it seems United made an error, but it's been at least half a day and they haven't fixed yet?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife
Have a flight on 29th and also wonder why the waiver is for 26-27 January 2022. I'm in the NYC area and I'm very certain that the weather was perfect today for flying. Every other airline I've checked has the waiver for 28 & 29th when the storm is forecasted to hit so it seems United made an error, but it's been at least half a day and they haven't fixed yet?
Have you checked on the website or app yet? I just changed a flight on the 29th that showed the waiver when I pulled it up, starting several hours ago.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Strange that the waiver is not including January 28-29th, given that those days look to be the most impacted.

I'm scheduled for those days and received an email from United saying I ought to rebook, but my reservation shows no such info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.