Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FRA-ORD 12 Jan 22 cold food due to broken ovens. I can’t rereoute; compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA-ORD 12 Jan 22 cold food due to broken ovens. I can’t rereoute; compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I took LH TATL business class in December and had a great experience. Helped that my neighboring seat was empty on their 747-8, but the catering was outstanding and service was leaps above UA's lately. Would choose them again without question if the routing was right.
This. There was a time when I wouldn't even think of changing to an LH flight, but over the past 3 years, I change every time I can as long as the routing is comparable. Yes, the seats aren't as good as Polaris, but if I'm flying westbound, I really appreciate the real service in LH J.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
If someone actually takes the flight, I would love to see what they serve in Polaris. Part of me thinks it might almost be better.

Not exactly high-quality meals being served out of the oven lately, and not like they are using them for the mixed nuts and rolls anyway.
I thought the same thing. A decent sandwich could be a step up from my last Polaris meal...
higher_flyer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I personally can't get hugely excited about this. I might have made a token effort to be rebooked on LH, but honestly, there's really nothing wrong with having lunch in the lounge, having a sandwich on board (there are plenty of decent options at FRA to buy something yourself), and then a proper dinner when in Chicago. It's not ideal, but my last few meals in Polaris have not been that great anyway. I don't know what the compensation protocol is, but I expect a few thousand miles are on their way to you.
cur, janehoya and BlueZebra like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
This says a lot about the state of catering on United if you are willing to reroute to LH.
I specifically selected LH for my TATL flights Feb. and Mar., even forgoing nonstop EWR-BCN for EWR-MUC-BCN and try out LH J on A350. with return on B747-8 upper deck.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by CIT85
I specifically selected LH for my TATL flights Feb. and Mar., even forgoing nonstop EWR-BCN for EWR-MUC-BCN and try out LH J on A350. with return on B747-8 upper deck.
You left out the part about having to endure two 2-hour flights in Y (aka EuroBiz).
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
This. There was a time when I wouldn't even think of changing to an LH flight, but over the past 3 years, I change every time I can as long as the routing is comparable. Yes, the seats aren't as good as Polaris, but if I'm flying westbound, I really appreciate the real service in LH J.
Besides the seat - I’m just into German wines - German food. It just doesn’t resonate with me. I lived in Munich a year for work - didn’t dig it.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
You left out the part about having to endure two 2-hour flights in Y (aka EuroBiz).
Which actually have real service, right? I mean a 1-hour flight in Y on LH (I experienced PRG-MUC) gets you a sandwich and two rounds of free drinks, alcohol included. LH’s soft product is significantly stronger than that of UA.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

So it turns out the ovens were inop. I think it had something to do with the inbound having a cargo bay issue. I think the fans are stored there for it.

I got rebooked to LH via EWR. Sat in the upper deck. Food was great. Service reminded me of pre covid. Printed menus, multiple courses, and multiple chinaware.

When I got to EWR I explained the situation and they let me into Polaris! Actually getting into DFW earlier. Great recovery by UA all around.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:05 pm

Maybe I am weird but I am fairly content with the snack boxes. I am not a huge fan of eating on long flights or even before so the snack box usually hits the spot. But great that you got rebooked on LH! I love the upstairs.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
So it turns out the ovens were inop. I think it had something to do with the inbound having a cargo bay issue. I think the fans are stored there for it.

I got rebooked to LH via EWR. Sat in the upper deck. Food was great. Service reminded me of pre covid. Printed menus, multiple courses, and multiple chinaware.

When I got to EWR I explained the situation and they let me into Polaris! Actually getting into DFW earlier. Great recovery by UA all around.
Sounds to me like a great recovery by Lufthansa, not United
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Sounds to me like a great recovery by Lufthansa, not United
Well, gotta give UA a little credit for admitting (seemingly w/o fuss or confusion) OP to PL w/ LH arrival.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Which actually have real service, right? I mean a 1-hour flight in Y on LH (I experienced PRG-MUC) gets you a sandwich and two rounds of free drinks, alcohol included. LH’s soft product is significantly stronger than that of UA.
Let's be clear: Lufthansa's coach service is better than United's Polaris/Business service.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
I mean a 1-hour flight in Y on LH (I experienced PRG-MUC) gets you a sandwich and two rounds of free drinks, alcohol included. LH’s soft product is significantly stronger than that of UA.
Not anymore.

https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa...rinks-economy/
N107UA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Just got this text for UA906 on Jan 12:

UA 906: We're sorry to let you know that hot meal service will be unavailable for your upcoming United flight to Chicago. Cold meal service will be provided as an alternative. As always, please feel free to bring your own snack of choice for your flight. If you need to rebook your flight, please view your options on the United app under the My United section or at https://fly.united.com

​​I'm in J, I don't think I can reroute, but do I also get certs???
This would be a great way to free up space on an overbooked flight without having to issue vouchers
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA GS
I genuinely can't imagine switching from the private, comfortable Polaris seat to the LH seat which doesn't offer aisle access and frankly sucks, over catering. To each their own I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.