Wiki Posts
Search

Award Miles as a Gift

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Award Miles as a Gift

My boss would like to give me 500K miles as a retirement gift.

Transferring them to me is cost prohibitive.

He's not retiring ,so I don't want to call him constantly to make changes.

Book 2 round trips, Capetown and Sydney, a year out and control reservations and changes that way?

Simpler work around?

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Very generous gift from your boss, and congratulations on your retirement! Since there's a cap of 100K miles for transfer per year, maybe spread the transfer over 5 years and spread the transfer cost?

Your suggestion only works if you have definite plans. If there are any plan changes, and the new ticket requires less miles, the miles go back to your boss's account. If the new ticket requires more miles, they will need to be deducted from your boss's account, which they might not appreciate.

In lieu of giving you miles, an alternative might be 2 roundtrip anywhere United or partner flies in business or first class.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
With dynamic pricing, is 500K even enough for 2 trips?

Tell your boss to stop being cheap. I peg UA miles at 1 cent per mile, 500,000 miles = $5K.

Your boss can buy you 2 paid tickets (vs. award tickets).
Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:53 am
Original Poster

The award miles vs cash is a little complicated.

I/we do have Sydney and Capetown in our near future. Pandemic allowing.

It isn't a big deal if I need a few more miles or give back a few to his account.

Can I move the tickets "forward " for years?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
With dynamic pricing, is 500K even enough for 2 trips?

Tell your boss to stop being cheap. I peg UA miles at 1 cent per mile, 500,000 miles = $5K.

Your boss can buy you 2 paid tickets (vs. award tickets).
I really hope you’re joking that a $5,000 retirement gift is cheap…
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mnmme
Can I move the tickets "forward " for years?
No. Tickets are only valid for one year. Beyond that, you'd need to cancel and rebook.

Originally Posted by J_Stroming
Agreed. I'll be happy just to get a "thank you" when I retire.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by J_Stroming
I am not. I assumed OP's been with the (same) company for 20+ years for rightful earning of a retirement gift provision.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I am not. I assumed OP's been with the (same) company for 20+ years for rightful earning of a retirement gift provision.
Note that this gift is coming from the OP's boss and not from the company. I doubt there are more than a handful of old-school companies that give official retirement gifts any more.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 8:28 am
Original Poster

The mile's are a personally gift from the boss. With the information you've provided I guess I'll just use them for this years planned trips to Europe. OZ and Capetown to complex of trips to not be able to constantly "alter".

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts!
JPG3392 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.