FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2063832-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2022-a.html)

cfischer Jul 3, 2022 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by GQsuperman (Post 34393377)
Was listed as 1,2,3 on the polaris upgrade list in the app from Y fare for myself and my family with 2 seats open applying plus points on an international flight last week. GS phone agent day before confirmed were were 1-3. GS agent in DEN calls me on my phone at the gate (rather than the overhead?) while boarding- so i walk up to the desk and ask why she was calling. They upgraded the 2 people at 5,6 to the last 2 polaris seats. She said i wasnt eligible to upgrade from economy to polaris. I indicated that wasnt true and showed i had applied 40pts for each and that were were first on the list in the app. She then said the other passengers were O class and should be upgraded before me since they were in Premium plus…but they were 1k. So, either upgrade list was wrong, prior GS phone agent was wrong, or the gate agent was wrong? The pinned thread seems to indicate GS would be upgraded using plus points over a 1k OAR (upgrade list in app seemed to confirm this)

Did you split the PNR? Every pax had their own reservation? If left together then it will only clear when 3 seats are available.

PBIFLL Jul 3, 2022 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 34392497)
Boarded families with kids under 2 first at MKE this morning :rolleyes:

Did you say something to the gate agent?

bakrgby Jul 3, 2022 6:02 pm

Was listed as 1,2,3 on the polaris upgrade list in the app from Y fare for myself and my family with 2 seats open applying plus points on an international flight last week. GS phone agent day before confirmed were were 1-3. GS agent in DEN calls me on my phone at the gate (rather than the overhead?) while boarding- so i walk up to the desk and ask why she was calling. They upgraded the 2 people at 5,6 to the last 2 polaris seats. She said i wasnt eligible to upgrade from economy to polaris. I indicated that wasnt true and showed i had applied 40pts for each and that were were first on the list in the app. She then said the other passengers were O class and should be upgraded before me since they were in Premium plus…but they were 1k. So, either upgrade list was wrong, prior GS phone agent was wrong, or the gate agent was wrong? The pinned thread seems to indicate GS would be upgraded using plus points over a 1k OAR (upgrade list in app seemed to confirm this)

you should have been upgraded, GS>PP

GQsuperman Jul 3, 2022 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by PBIFLL (Post 34393526)
Did you say something to the gate agent?

yes- indicated i didnt think this was the case. That we had applied 40 PP. she then upgraded my wife and sone to premium plus to the 2 vacated seats- but united charges us 40 PP. i emailed to get 20 credited back for each. So- they split the res. Seems a 1k on O fare with PP> GS on Y fare with PP. upgrade list doesnt think so, but agent did.

Kleinnaf Jul 4, 2022 1:17 am

Just booked a last minute flight 1 day return.
burnt all of my PP previously thinking they would expire 7/31.
I wish UA would of given us a heads up :(

PanAmWT Jul 4, 2022 2:40 am

Originally Posted by GQsuperman (Post 34394146)
Seems a 1k on O fare with PP> GS on Y fare with PP. upgrade list doesnt think so, but agent did.

My understanding is, anyone on O fare > GS on Y with PP or UG miles. Does not have to be 1K. This is true at least within 24 hours of departure. Some people pointed out that GS still trumps O outside of 24 h because of PN. But at Gate even a nobody on O fare trumps GS Y with any upgrade instruments.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-priority.html
*On flights equipped with United Premium Plus, we will process requests to upgrade to business class for customers ticketed in United Premium Plus (fare classes O, A, R) before processing requests for customers ticketed in economy.

uanj Jul 4, 2022 4:27 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 34394552)
My understanding is, anyone on O fare > GS on Y with PP or UG miles. Does not have to be 1K. This is true at least within 24 hours of departure. Some people pointed out that GS still trumps O outside of 24 h because of PN. But at Gate even a nobody on O fare trumps GS Y with any upgrade instruments.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-priority.html
*On flights equipped with United Premium Plus, we will process requests to upgrade to business class for customers ticketed in United Premium Plus (fare classes O, A, R) before processing requests for customers ticketed in economy.

This is basically what I have been told, that GS will clear into business if PN opens up and there are no GS in O/A/R waiting to be upgraded. So at the gate O/A/R of any status will clear before anyone in the main cabin.

Stopwatch430 Jul 4, 2022 5:58 am

Does GS members get a full list of benefits upon receipt of an invitation? The website seems very clear that anyone in PP trumps a GS in Y and that's different from the Wiki on this page BUT the point is only cited to a GS agent.

Does beg the question why the computer prioritized the GS member.

ctownflyer Jul 4, 2022 7:06 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 34385143)
If United develops a reputation of giving 2nd rate treatment to lifelong loyal customers, future lifelong customers will take note and go elsewhere.

So, like how they have treated lifetime club members, lifetime Silverwings members, lifetime MMers promised annual companion RPUs, and lifetime MMers that were close to earning a lifetime club membership?

porciuscato Jul 4, 2022 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 34395030)
So, like how they have treated lifetime club members, lifetime Silverwings members, lifetime MMers promised annual companion RPUs, and lifetime MMers that were close to earning a lifetime club membership?

Fair point, though I think that has dinged United a bit. The MM cuts were a bit of a wash. I've been able to share GS status with family members for 10 years, which is arguably a lot more valuable than club membership or RPUs.

bakrgby Jul 4, 2022 2:45 pm

The standard GS policy has always been no matter what they clear above 1Ks (even a GS cpu is above a 1K with PP) the same applies to the premium plus situation. It’s a gate agent who should go off of the computer and not their own mind

greenpau Jul 4, 2022 3:27 pm

Just had this situation that validated this. I waitlisted two family members with no status who were booked in R, then myself on XN+PP. On waitlist, family members were #1 and #2, I was #4, with another traveler #3. Agent said #3 was a GS also on XN that had booked before me. I rebooked in O, reapplied PP, and I went to #1, family members shifted down to #2 and #3. We all cleared at gate. Other GS was cleared into Premium Plus.

Does appear that it is all O/A/R of any status that are cleared first before any member in Y.

cfischer Jul 4, 2022 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau (Post 34396401)
Just had this situation that validated this. I waitlisted two family members with no status who were booked in R, then myself on XN+PP. On waitlist, family members were #1 and #2, I was #4, with another traveler #3. Agent said #3 was a GS also on XN that had booked before me. I rebooked in O, reapplied PP, and I went to #1, family members shifted down to #2 and #3. We all cleared at gate. Other GS was cleared into Premium Plus.

Does appear that it is all O/A/R of any status that are cleared first before any member in Y.

makes sense with PE being a separate cabin.

benewr Jul 4, 2022 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by uanj (Post 34394733)
So at the gate O/A/R of any status will clear before anyone in the main cabin.

After any GS in the main cabin.

That is what the computer are telling them to do.

The GA should just follow the computer and stop trying to make their own rule !!!

Hipplewm Jul 4, 2022 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Stopwatch430 (Post 34394907)
Does GS members get a full list of benefits upon receipt of an invitation? The website seems very clear that anyone in PP trumps a GS in Y and that's different from the Wiki on this page BUT the point is only cited to a GS agent.

Does beg the question why the computer prioritized the GS member.

No, we mainly figure it out by group research here

Basically prior to going under airport/gate control If PN opens up a GS on any upgrade instrument will clear - PERIOD (This has nothing to do with the statement that someone in PE clears before economy - That statement is for battlefield upgrades
Anytime prior to battlefield upgrades if PN opens up the GS will get the upgrade - if you get to the battlefield, then it processes as the statement on the website would lead you to believe - ie O,A,R in PE gets upgrades prior to a GS in Y

If gate agents have been instructed to upgrade main cabin GS ahead of O,A,R I have never seen that - I usually buy at least PE - so I have never been in that situation