Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Denver High Winds (December 15, 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airport:
  • Denver, CO (DEN)
Original ticket must have been purchased by: December 14, 2021

Flight changes:
  • The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 16, 2021, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed. View your reservation and select Change Flight to search for alternate flights.
Rebooking window: December 15, 2021 - December 20, 2021

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...merica-waivers

Jetstream Waiver (not yet posted): https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

Waiver Parameter Code (not yet posted): 1+

David
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My co-worker had to run home (near the foothills) just now because a 40' tree in her front yard fell over onto the neighbor's car/driveway. This wind is no joke.

US Air Force Academy recorded a 100mph gust earlier this morning.
Rocky Mountain Airport (BJC) kind of between downtown Denver and Boulder recorded a 104mph gust.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Dec 15, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I had my noon flight home canceled about 10am today. Rebooked tomorrow at 2:45pm. Looks like a very serious situation.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
My co-worker had to run home (near the foothills) just now because a 40' tree in her front yard fell over onto the neighbor's car/driveway. This wind is no joke.

US Air Force Academy recorded a 100mph gust earlier this morning.
Rocky Mountain Airport (BJC) kind of between downtown Denver and Boulder recorded a 104mph gust.
The area near BJC is basically a wind tunnel. I was driving up 36 right past BJC an hour ago and watched a box truck fighting the wind like a sail boat. Must have been empty because it looked like it was going to tip over a couple of times.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mpw81
The area near BJC is basically a wind tunnel. I was driving up 36 right past BJC an hour ago and watched a box truck fighting the wind like a sail boat. Must have been empty because it looked like it was going to tip over a couple of times.
I play Walnut Creek Golf Course once a year, and I swear it's always on the windiest, hottest day of the year--and it feels like all of the uphill holes are always into the wind.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA1K
i live downtown, and a seat cushion flew by the slack building around the 10th floor a few hours ago. the wind is definitely whipping downtown.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m amazed COS wasn’t included in this. It was and still is very bad down here.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Flew IAD-DEN-PDX today. Pilot landed the MAX beautifully this morning in DEN in very gusty winds. Operations were delayed, but many--and my--flights were on time.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Flew IAD-DEN-PDX today. Pilot landed the MAX beautifully this morning in DEN in very gusty winds. Operations were delayed, but many--and my--flights were on time.
While we as passengers of UA's planes going in and out of DEN (and I was one last night) want them to fly safely, there's also the matter of the ground crews having to deal with debris and crap that frankly, at those wind speeds, is really, really dangerous.

David
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’m amazed COS wasn’t included in this. It was and still is very bad down here.
Today's schedule shows 3 flights DEN-COS starting at 3:45 pm - one made the trip (A320), one's now in flight (CRJ200) and one's later this evening (also CRJ200). Three COS-DEN flights were this morning (also 2 CRJ200s and one A319). The only non-DEN-COS pair I've found is COS-LAX (@ 7:00 AM) which was ontime/early and LAX-COS (scheduled for 6:55 pm) and are both CRJ200s. All other cities I plugged in are connecting through DEN to get to/from COS today.

edit: found COS-IAH-COS (CRJ200) and COS-ORD-COS (CRJ200/A320) as well that were successful in their trips this AM.

David
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DELee
While we as passengers of UA's planes going in and out of DEN (and I was one last night) want them to fly safely, there's also the matter of the ground crews having to deal with debris and crap that frankly, at those wind speeds, is really, really dangerous.

David
You are correct, and that was a problem today. Caterers and baggage handlers were struggling. Instead of tumbleweed blowing across the tarmac, it was plastic bags.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:55 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Just flew out of DEN and landed in IAH. Pilot, pre-departure, said "it was very very bumpy" coming in from IAH. I say "grrrreat". Barely a bump on departure. Pilot says "what a difference 45 min can make"
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arisaa
Just flew out of DEN and landed in IAH. Pilot, pre-departure, said "it was very very bumpy" coming in from IAH. I say "grrrreat". Barely a bump on departure. Pilot says "what a difference 45 min can make"
That and a different flight path on departure vs. arrival. In my experiences flying in and out of DEN, some parts of the front range definitely are better at producing turbulence than others in specific wind regimes. When flying in from the west on very windy days, we always seem to hit rotors somewhere over Castle Rock when arriving from the south, but approaches from the north seem to be smoother.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I landed in DEN yesterday around 0650 and am sure glad I got there when I did. Connected to the UA Landline Bus to FNL and the winds were intense on E-470 and I-25. At one point, we slowed down to 30~ mph to avoid being tossed off the road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.