Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's a PlusPoint worth, give or take a lie or two?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold

Performed a search, but surprisingly came up empty-handed.

No, they can't be openly sold, but I'm generally curious as to the range of perceived cash value of a PlusPoint. Of course, they're worth nothing the day after they expire, but in their prime of life, what's the value you'd put onto a PlusPoint? What's the best usage? What's the poorest usage? What's the highest possible cash value you see a PlusPoint as having?

Thoughts?

Mod: If search was somehow broken, feel free to merge this as appropriate.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
As a GS, I usually get the highest value forcing an upgrade for a companion on an intl flight. Typically my J ticket is $5-$6K and my companion's economy ticket is maybe $1500. So 80 plus points = $3500-$4500.

Of course, when they enforce the new rule about only allowing you to force one segment, the value is reduced greatly -- which is why so many GSes are complaining bitterly about it.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
For use on domestic upgrades 20 Plus Points is typically worth about $200. For long haul international flights 40-80 points is typically worth $800-1,000, which is the typical price of a one-way buy-up, when offered, on long haul routes. Of course there is no direct cash value because you aren’t able to use them every time you want to, it’s solely at United’s discretion.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For me they're worth $6.45 each, calculated at 20 for a $129 fare differential to F on SFO-PHX.
SPN Lifer, Dublin_rfk and Grog like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
What's the highest possible cash value? I would say an upgrade on a long-haul INTL flight in J for $6K when you paid $1K for Y is about as good as it gets. Say I buy an eligible fare class and upgrade for 40 PP, that would be $5000/40 = $125 per point. That is on the extreme upper end. On the lower end, Kacee has it right and I routinely see those offers all the time.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by MileTrek
What's the highest possible cash value? I would say an upgrade on a long-haul INTL flight in J for $6K when you paid $1K for Y is about as good as it gets. Say I buy an eligible fare class and upgrade for 40 PP, that would be $5000/40 = $125 per point. That is on the extreme upper end. On the lower end, Kacee has it right and I routinely see those offers all the time.
Agree. I have had good luck clearing directly into TATL PZ on economy/E+ tickets recently, at booking. So, I have been able to book TATL tickets for say <US$2k that would otherwise be $8+k, at a cost of 60-80 PlusPoints for the roundtrip. But i also waitlist all domestic segments and have used 20 PP in lieu of a cash upgrade of $300...
Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
They're worth sleep and thusly not arriving grumpy on a TPAC, i.e. almost invaluable! 👍🏼
Ari likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.