Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need 287 PQP for xxx status...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I need 287 PQP for xxx status...

I'm having a difficult time finding this annual thread. Did try a search but it didn't show up "the usual" I'm used to. Did post in the Quest thread, but didn't get the responses I needed.

Details: By happenstance I'm much closer to Plat than expected. Was figuring I'd continue to be *G but with only 287 PQP to go? Not trusting the Quest PQP to post the next 500 PQP in time. Looking for alternatives to flying but will do what I have to.

Thanks-
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I'm having a difficult time finding this annual thread. Did try a search but it didn't show up "the usual" I'm used to. Did post in the Quest thread, but didn't get the responses I needed.

Details: By happenstance I'm much closer to Plat than expected. Was figuring I'd continue to be *G but with only 287 PQP to go? Not trusting the Quest PQP to post the next 500 PQP in time. Looking for alternatives to flying but will do what I have to.

Thanks-
I guess its a function of where, if any place, you want to go and in which seat to get there.

There are some SFO-LAX domestic first seats for a same day round trip price in the $400 range. For similar prices but in economy, DEN and ORD and EWR are options.

David
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:25 am

Have you factored in the "Breakout Bonus" PQP? That may be more than 287 once deposited after the promotion is over. Other than that, you can do a PQP run, upfare a flight, or buy and cancel a flight but use it to buy PQP accelerator.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by DELee
I guess its a function of where, if any place, you want to go and in which seat to get there.

There are some SFO-LAX domestic first seats for a same day round trip price in the $400 range. For similar prices but in economy, DEN and ORD and EWR are options.

David
Originally Posted by B747SP
Have you factored in the "Breakout Bonus" PQP? That may be more than 287 once deposited after the promotion is over. Other than that, you can do a PQP run, upfare a flight, or buy and cancel a flight but use it to buy PQP accelerator.
It just became irrelevant; something posted somewhere (still trying to figure out what) so United now says I'm Plat, at 10,125 PQP. No more chasing anything! It was a bit of a strange feeling though; I haven't had a "mileage run" since before PQP started. Mixed feelings about SFO-LAX just for status. Wonder how it would have felt? :-)
Old Nov 18, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It just became irrelevant; something posted somewhere (still trying to figure out what) so United now says I'm Plat, at 10,125 PQP. No more chasing anything! It was a bit of a strange feeling though; I haven't had a "mileage run" since before PQP started. Mixed feelings about SFO-LAX just for status. Wonder how it would have felt? :-)
Congrats on making Platinum!

WRT SFO-LAX, if you'd built in time to be able to leave airport and partake in something or walk somewhere, probably great. You're always welcome down here!

David​​​​​​​
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
basic question on this as well, and kinda felt like I got an answer reading a TPG article with someone doing the same, but if one purchases the upgrade offer to first, you do get the new PQP based on that fare? or do you remain at what you purchased the ticket??
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALMSP
basic question on this as well, and kinda felt like I got an answer reading a TPG article with someone doing the same, but if one purchases the upgrade offer to first, you do get the new PQP based on that fare? or do you remain at what you purchased the ticket??
Buyups increase your PQP yield by the amount of the buyup.

Example: I purchased the buyup to first for my return flight for $80. A day or two later, the following posted to my MP account recent activity: 11/15/2021 Premier qualifying point upgrade 80.

David
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CALMSP
Buyups increase your PQP yield by the amount of the buyup.

Example: I purchased the buyup to first for my return flight for $80. A day or two later, the following posted to my MP account recent activity: 11/15/2021 Premier qualifying point upgrade 80.

David
Exactly. Buy-ups are one of the most-efficient ways of boosting PQP, near as I can tell. It's clean... 100%... and definite. There's nothing hidden, no taxes or fees that won't be part of the PQP.

It's not like the old days, where it made sense, you got more benefits, from buying a biz class seat outright vs paying to upgrade it, at least not at the gate. Ahead of time you may have to kick in miles as well. So what, if any, are the remaining benefits to buying into biz outright at the time of ticketing? Topic likely covered in a different thread.

And hey, now, all I have to do is spend another $6k on tickets and I can be a 1K again!
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly. Buy-ups are one of the most-efficient ways of boosting PQP, near as I can tell. It's clean... 100%... and definite. There's nothing hidden, no taxes or fees that won't be part of the PQP.

It's not like the old days, where it made sense, you got more benefits, from buying a biz class seat outright vs paying to upgrade it, at least not at the gate. Ahead of time you may have to kick in miles as well. So what, if any, are the remaining benefits to buying into biz outright at the time of ticketing? Topic likely covered in a different thread.

And hey, now, all I have to do is spend another $6k on tickets and I can be a 1K again!
If you've got $6K to spend until the end of 2021, UA will gladly accept the money and fly you around.

Unfortunately, your outlay will be over $6K because of this PQP counting system.

David
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

If you've got $6K to spend until the end of 2021, UA will gladly accept the money and fly you around.

Unfortunately, your outlay will be over $6K because of this PQP counting system.

David
Yeah, not that easy. You just saved me $6k. :-) (The only thing that I'd really have interest in spending money to get would be a way to accelerate getting to 1 million miles, but with 200,000 to go, that ain't going to happen. If I was within 50k of that goal, then the "classic" mileage run would come into play again. Think I'm too old for that game now.)
Old Nov 19, 2021, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
I need ONE PQP for 1K; any options outside of a flight?

Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
ouch!!!!
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
I need ONE PQP for 1K; any options outside of a flight?

Call UA and ´suggest’ they audit their rounding algorithm.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
Call UA and ´suggest’ they audit their rounding algorithm.
UA uses roundup from 1-99 cents to the dollar. One can suggest to audit the algorithm for allocation of the total fare to each segment. I would not be surprised that an additional PQP would be needed after this process.
Good luck, anyway.

Last edited by Kmxu; Nov 19, 2021 at 7:54 pm
Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If you weren't all done with flying for the year, I'd suggest you add a connection somewhere.

If I were you, I'd book a very short flight (ie. ORD-MKE), buy the premier accelerator offer for the additional PQP, then cancel the flight within the 24hrs.

Well, if I were you, I'd just fly somewhere as a mini-vacation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.