Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Polaris Lounge Open in Newark (EWR)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
If the dining room was truly closed and not end of day, we should all take a breath. So many restaurants are closing because of staff shortages from COVID. Give the PL a break . . .
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by elitefreak
If the dining room was truly closed and not end of day, we should all take a breath. So many restaurants are closing because of staff shortages from COVID. Give the PL a break . . .
Why? Because UA can't deliver what it sold to its Polaris flying customers? That service at EWR continues to be poor at best?

That the management within the PL at EWR can't and won't communicate? Or fail to understand the basics of interfacing with its customers?

David
rch4u likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by DELee
Why? Because UA can't deliver what it sold to its Polaris flying customers? That service at EWR continues to be poor at best?

That the management within the PL at EWR can't and won't communicate? Or fail to understand the basics of interfacing with its customers?

David
Really? I have no words . . .
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? I have no words . . .
Unfortunately, neither does UA.

David
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 1:48 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
The reviews of most of the restaurants in Terminal C are pretty dire. Any recommendations?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lmk
The reviews of most of the restaurants in Terminal C are pretty dire. Any recommendations?
There are sme nice restaurants in the Ironbound section of Newark, and it's just a 10-15 minute drive from the airport.. If I had 7 hours I'd probably go there -- or to Manhattan -- rather than hanging around in the terminal the whole time.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: SQ *G, QR OWS
FYI, the showers are closed.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
Was this because they were closed?
Last time I arrived at 7:15pm, I was turned away stating that the kitchen closes at 8pm thus they have to stop seating new people. Around 7:30pm, they flipped the sign to closed. Though there were still some people sitting in the dining room.
Of course it wasn't closed, my food pictures are real. :P
I really had no issues on December 24 (evening) and 25 (morning) but I see that the EWR Polaris lounge requires some luck.
I wanted to post this so people could see it isn't ALWAYS bad.
Hopefully reliability will improve in 2022.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by leoo
Of course it wasn't closed, my food pictures are real. :P
I really had no issues on December 24 (evening) and 25 (morning) but I see that the EWR Polaris lounge requires some luck.
I wanted to post this so people could see it isn't ALWAYS bad.
Hopefully reliability will improve in 2022.
Oh, I see. For some reason, I thought you ate closer to 3pm when you arrived. Lucky you got to eat before they closed or the night.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MerlionAir
FYI, the showers are closed.
UGH, that's a new low. I am glad I am booked via IAD for my return flight (assuming it is operating)
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
So now the restaurant and showers are closed? Might as well close the buffet down and the bar down at this point.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Then United should clearly communicate what to expect from a PL. If the expected service level is basically a United Club, they should say that. They should say showers and the restaurant are no longer part of the offering. And they should be clear about what the expected hours are.

To be frank, they should probably just convert it back to a UC and repurpose the staff for that, and set aside some special amenities for paid J customers.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:18 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Arrived EWR Polaris lounge today 2:30pm. Restaurant closed. Showers closed. A few items available on buffet but many dishes had signs out indicating what was previously available, but were empty. Went to bar and asked if it's possible to get a latte/cappucino/espresso: "Sorry, we're out of pods."

Bathrooms in need of service.

Edible items on the buffet: Eggplant rollatini, tomato-mozzarella salad with rocket (yellow tomatoes were great, red tomatoes were unripe and mealy; mozzarella was delicious). Unfortunately we went ahead and ate and then just now (4:10pm) they opened the restaurant. Really? They couldn't have indicated on the "closed" sign what time they would re-open? I just don't get this.

Only dessert items I saw were two chocolate cookies in plastic wrappers, and a few apples in plastic wrap.

At least the sauvignon blanc is tasty.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone who's visited the EWR PL in its current state take pictures and post via Twitter to complain about how badly things have gone?

David
Old Jan 1, 2022, 2:37 pm
lmk

On top of the above, at 16:35 they just lowered the shades in the EWR Polaris lounge so that we could no longer watch the planes on the tarmac. A low murmur was heard throughout nearby seats and a few minutes later the shades were raised again. Weird.

The "quiet suites" are also closed and roped off.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 1, 2022 at 4:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.