Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH PreCheck International Transit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2021, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

IAH PreCheck International Transit

I looked for a thread thinking this has been covered, but did not find it.

GUA-IAH-PHL. Why in the world is there not a PreCheck line for those transiting from immigration/customs to connect? I asked a TSA agent about it; 'United is not willing to pay for it anymore'. What? He said it would likely be faster to exit to landside and reenter again than wait in line with the infrequent travelers.

Just curious and I'll remember it for my next transit.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lamphs
GUA-IAH-PHL. Why in the world is there not a PreCheck line for those transiting from immigration/customs to connect? I asked a TSA agent about it; 'United is not willing to pay for it anymore'.
There's never been Pre at IAH transit security.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Prior to the Terminal D/E construction, one merely had to exit the transit area, go upstairs, and voila, there was PreCheck. Sometimes it was even open. It really wasn't a longer walk than going through the bowels of the luggage drop to get to the transit security line. Hopefully Terminal D/E security returns soon.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lamphs
...GUA-IAH-PHL. Why in the world is there not a PreCheck line for those transiting from immigration/customs to connect? I asked a TSA agent about it; 'United is not willing to pay for it anymore'. What? He said it would likely be faster to exit to landside and reenter again than wait in line with the infrequent travelers...Just curious and I'll remember it for my next transit.
An exit I think would require you to train over to terminal C now. I believe E check-in/security is closed for renovation still. I'm not even sure it's up to the airlines relative to a dedicated PreCheck line.
VRFast likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 14, 2021 at 6:42 pm
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
An exit I think would require you to train over to terminal C now. I believe E check-in/security is closed for renovation still. I'm not even sure it's up to the airlines relative to a dedicated PreCheck line.
Correct. I took the train to C after I arrived from RTB in September. I used the Clear/PreCheck lanes in C. It saved me the walk, so it wasn’t too bad.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I think terminal E security will be closed for a long time for a major construction project.
there should be precheck at terminal D which would be a short walk
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
For a long time, maybe still, IAD's transit security under the C/D trailers didn't have Pre.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:20 am

There is pre-check at D; it's a short walk to the checkpoint after exiting customs and you don't have to take the Disney-train to C.

Going to D or C will take much less time than the FIS checkpoint.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I got tired of being yelled at by TSA so I started going upstairs to go through pre-check. Someone yelled at me once after I dropped off bags that I was going the wrong way.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:50 am

They used to have signs upon leaving customs that said "Pre-Check straight ahead" - i.e. exit and go upstairs vs going through the transit lanes. I also don't ever recall there being Pre-Check lanes in the transit security area. With the construction in E, it makes sense that they wouldn't have those signs there now though. Doubt it was ever about UA 'paying for it'.

I was always a fan of exiting and taking the train or walking over to C. Quite simple to do, and if your flight is out of C (or even B/A), easier than going through E anyway.

Originally Posted by N1120A
For a long time, maybe still, IAD's transit security under the C/D trailers didn't have Pre.
Or ATL-E, where they used to treat it as "everyone has pre-check" in transit security. It was a case of when everyone is special, no one is. Don't know if they still do it that way now though.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Nov 15, 2021 at 11:56 am
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:00 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Last evening arriving from CZM they had it changed from even two weeks ago when I entered from a Euro flight.
Now they had folks queuing separately before exiting the baggage hall customs check-point with connecting pax with checked bags on the right and local arrivals left.

We were local and it was nearly an instant exit out, whereas the connecting pax were backed up nearly to the escalators down from customs. As an aside, immigration was very fast (could not use GE due to family).

As others noted, pre for E meant going upstairs but the construction work has the entire area walled off with actual real constructed sheetrock walls not just temp barriers as it is a multi-year project. Term D or the train to C/B/A are the only pre options now.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback. I thought the 'United not willing to pay for it anymore' was a bit strange, but that was the available information. IAD is one of my 3 home airports, so I've never had to deal with international->domestic transit at IAD. Next time I go through IAH and recheck a bag, I'll turn and go to the local exit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just arrived at IAH from an international flight last week and it was a major cluster upstairs in E - absolute chaos - no precheck and the line was so bad, I (along with a couple other people) just turned around and went back downstairs to the baggage claim exit area, and walked through the short tunnel to D. Once upstairs in D, there is a Precheck line (far to the left - look for it carefully), and I was through there in less than a minute, and walking out into the terminal dropped me right in front of the elevator to the Amex Platinum lounge which happened to be my destination anyway.

My connection left from C43, which was about a 15 minute leisurely walk through D and into the C concourse. So, if I was skipping the Amex lounge and needed to go back to E or C for a connection, the entire process still would have been much faster and less stressful than going up through the international transfer security mess which I estimated at about 30 minutes or more to clear.
SPN Lifer, lamphs and VRFast like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K
[QUOTE=lamphs;33728870 I asked a TSA agent about it; 'United is not willing to pay for it anymore'. What?

[/QUOTE]

That's Hysterical - ALL the International flights clear the same FIS. Why is UA entirely responsible for a payment that everyone would be using?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by h2oflyboy
That's Hysterical - ALL the International flights clear the same FIS. Why is UA entirely responsible for a payment that everyone would be using?
Wild guess... 95% of those making an I->D connection at IAH will be boarding a UA domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.