Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Adds 44 Flights to Las Vegas for CES 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Once again UA is increasing capacity for CES, at 80% of the pre-covid CES2020 levels
CES Consumer Electronics Show, Las Vegas, 5-8 Jan 2022
One of the largest trade shows in the world

Airline to add 80% of the capacity it added for CES 2020

CHICAGO, Nov. 12, 2021
In response to feedback from its business customers and an uptick in demand, United Airlines is expanding its schedule to make it easier for CES 2022 attendees to join the in-person show in Las Vegas. The airline is adding 14 new direct flights in early January between Las Vegas and San Jose, Calif., Boston, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando, and is also adding 30 flights from its hub airports in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York/Newark, and Washington D.C./Dulles. This represents a capacity increase of 37% compared to its usual January schedule to Las Vegas.

"The return of in-person conferences and events is a very positive sign in the pandemic recovery, and United is uniquely positioned to capitalize on this increase in demand," said Ankit Gupta, senior vice president of Domestic Planning and United Express. "We're adding about 80% of the capacity we did for CES in 2020, demonstrating that business travel is on the rebound and our customers are eager to reunite with clients and colleagues."

Between Oct. 27 and Nov. 9, searches on United.com for flights to Las Vegas during CES 2022 were up 70% compared to the prior two-week period. And according to a recent survey of United's business customers, nearly 20% say they expect travel to meetings and conferences will exceed pre-pandemic levels in 2022.

United will fly 81 flights into Las Vegas during the peak arrival days of January 3-4, and 109 flights on the peak departure days of January 8-10. New flights include:
  • 8 direct flights from San Jose, Calif.
  • 6 direct flights from Fort Lauderdale, Boston and Orlando
  • 15 additional flights from San Francisco, and 9 flights on a larger aircraft
  • 8 additional flights from Los Angeles, and 4 flights on a larger aircraft
  • 5 additional flights from Washington D.C./Dulles
  • 2 additional flights from New York/Newark
Tickets for all of these flights are available for sale now at United.com.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hopefully they are making this decision based on actual CES registration data and hotel bookings to match where people are coming from and who is planning on showing up vs attend virtually. I am noticing there is a definite feeling of "I don't care anymore" out there, especially in Las Vegas, so perhaps 80% will be a realistic number. The spouse has their breast surgery medical conference planned for Las Vegas in April, and it appears that we're going in person, so perhaps onsite conference and meeting volume will pick up provided the virus cases and risks continue relatively stable.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
CES is requiring vaccination proof using CLEAR for U.S. based attendees. CLEAR’s free mobile app and Health Pass feature provides a simple and secure way for this information to be shared. For non-U.S. based attendees, we will use a similar, 3rd party platform to submit proof of vaccination. We will share more information on this in the coming weeks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 2021 at 3:11 pm Reason: more details from the link, see the link for more
Old Nov 12, 2021, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Which works great ONLY IF you've been vaccinated in the United States. CLEAR won't validate international vaccinations. I wonder what they'll be doing for Canadian or International visitors.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The past few months I have definitely seen a significant uptick in convention business during my trips to LAS......
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Which works great ONLY IF you've been vaccinated in the United States. CLEAR won't validate international vaccinations. I wonder what they'll be doing for Canadian or International visitors.
The link WineCountryUA provided answers your question:

"For non-U.S. based attendees, we will use a similar, 3rd party platform to submit proof of vaccination. We will share more information on this in the coming weeks."
Old Nov 12, 2021, 2:18 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Disappointed by the lack of increases from ORD, but hopefully the increase to other cities alleviate some of the ORD-LAS traffic. I haven't been in a few years and was considering going again in 2022.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Tickets for all of these flights are available for sale now at United.com.
Did the Hub release this article early? None of these flights are showing up on united.com...None of the 'special' nonstop add-ons like SJC and BOS are showing, and LAX, for example, shows their regular 3-4 non-stops a day. Unless they are indeed bought up and booked en masse already?!?!?!?

Friday nights do tend to bring big schedule changes, so I'm guessing they get added overnight and will be more bookable tomorrow.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 3:20 pm

Flights definitely aren't posted yet, but I'm not sure how they plan to compete when Southwest has $49 fares (from LAX) while United wants $249.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boogie711
dont intl visitors require vax to get into US to begin with?
adambadam likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gerald5
Flights definitely aren't posted yet, but I'm not sure how they plan to compete when Southwest has $49 fares (from LAX) while United wants $249.
People flying on OPM and assumptions that the southwest flights will fill up.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I guess the time for non-conventionees to look for upgrades is on 44 flights departing LAS at start of CES and going into LAS at end. This assumes UA isn't just ferrying a/c out at start and in at end. Does anyone know if the extra flights will operate as revenue flights both ways at start and end of conference? I rode one the flights out at the end of a CES and it seemed like even a 1K might be 100 on the waitlist.

Originally Posted by gerald5
WN will sell only a coule of those fares before they increase them. You don't really think WN will stick to $49 for long, do you? Plus, WN won't be able to satisfy all the demand in/out.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 2021 at 7:14 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by goyankees32790
People flying on OPM and assumptions that the southwest flights will fill up.
UA is really counting on the tech industry OPM:
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by B747SP
UA is really counting on the tech industry OPM:
Woof.

David
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:45 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
These prices will definitely level out, and I bet you by tomorrow morning. When new flights are loaded to the GDS, they start with the high fare classes and slowly add the discount fare buckets, usually overnight. Right not it’s literally only J up front and Y/B in the back. Guarantee other fare classes will show up by tomorrow.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Right now it’s literally only J up front and Y/B in the back.
Yet the first two SJC-LAS flights on 1/4 already have a handful of assigned seats in Y. Either some companies got a bulk discount, or some people/employees are suckers for UA's pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.