Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

International trip, buy now or wait? - what would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International trip, buy now or wait? - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Buy it now and turn on the price tracking. Zombietooth is right. Especially since you have 6 economy tickets to use the FFC on.
Can you use FFC from a rebooking for other pax?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Sorry my mistake. I was able to use my husband's FFC for my tickets but that is only true for FFC issued for tickets booked before August 31, 2021.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
I'd buy it now. I don't fly United but assume if a cheaper price comes up, you can cancel your reservation and rebook the cheaper flight and then at least have credit on United for the fare difference.
this. It’s a little bit of a PITA, but I’d get it at the current price if you like it, then make a ‘change’ to get it a lower price if it drops later.

getting the chnage done is a bit of a PITA, but possible. You have to change to a different day or flight, then change back. Agents have also been commonly not doing it directly. But with no change fees, takes some work, but not a big deal.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Also, different PNR, but you can have them virtually "link" the reservation so if something happens there is a chance that they will all be handled the same way.

My wife and i fly often - me on $$ and her and/or daughter on points and so far every single time we have had cancelled flights or IRROPS etc - they have followed me on every change
that’s called luck. I have certainly had records ‘linked’ that don’t book the same in automated IROPS. As noted upthread, the computer can’t read notes in the PNR, which is how a ‘link’ happens.

Maybe you got lucky and the new flights were the same. Maybe an agent did it and saw the notes. It was most definitely not because the system saw a link and purposely rebooked you all ‘together’

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Tickets issued until this summer had temporarily had the ability to do this. Not anymore. But the FFC will be available for use for the specific pax they are for.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The "linking" isn't doing that -- computers don't read the PNR comments. Your similar itins is what is keeping you together.
And he is UA GS; I wonder if a human touches the reservation and reads the comments when you have GS
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zombietooth
So long as you are willing to fly UA in the future, I'd buy it now. If you end up having to cancel or change your flights, there are no change fees anymore. So, if the price goes down, you can cancel and rebook using FFC (future flight credit) or, in the worst case, you can use your FFC on different flights in the future. However, you can't easily re-book the exact same itinerary using your FFC credit. The procedure that seems to work best is to cancel your flight and use the credit to rebook onto a different set of flights, then go to the "Change flight" tab and next, select "All travelers on this reservation", next hit the "Edit" square on your existing itinerary and then, you will be shown a list of options. Select your original flights at the reduced price (make sure they show the correct price-you can double-check at
https://matrix.itasoftware.com
I did end up buying because the price dropped further- to just above $2800 r/t- and I figure that with the change fees gone, the decision got pretty easy.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by blacke61
You're not guaranteed a direct route either. Schedule changes, aircraft issues happen all the time
For example my nonstop flight from SFO to CDG in Polaris I was counting on ended up being SFO - ORD - CDG
It's hard to imagine a once-daily EWR to JNB routing getting a change since that's United's only service there.... but I get your point on other routings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.