Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are 1Ks being treated by UA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: MC - Gold HH-Diamond UA - 1K
It's the tagging of strollers!

Onboard, the perks of 1K - free snack and drink in Econ is fab & ordering of FC meals done by status, allowing 1K, GS their first choice. The perks before boarding, not so much. The reservation benefits have been watered down - where EVERYBODY is SPECIAL - standby, no fees for changes.

But if I had one major complaint, it's the boarding! If's a free-for-all at preboarding time. (the only incident that was organized was a HNL gate agent that knew how many GS customers - ZERO, and the 1K (4 of us). He also stopped the "Karen" from charging the jetbridge door. The pre-boarding catagories could be re-aligned too.

My thoughts about Pre-boarding
Customers with disabilities
pause...

MIL
GS
then...
the FC cabin! and then...

Families with children under 2
pause...

then Group 1.

As a 1K - We are the most savvy and we are very prepared - we actually fly in the seat whereas not every GS does. Waiting behind the party of 8 with 1 infant and the dad is holding ALL the boarding passes, and the gate agent is simultaneously scanning said BPs and issuing the stroller tag. We all know this is true, and they're not the only family - one night at LAX on the red-eye into IAH - the Family with children pre-boarding group took 10 minutes to process. Once they make it down the bridge, they have to fold their strollers and in most cases, the 1K group just moves around them.

By getting the 2 higher elites and FC boarded you can offer pre-departure beverages whilst the lengthy family process is happening at the gate, During this time, the agent can check to see if all of their FC seats are filled, and if not they could then UG those without an aisle full of passengers. After the last stroller has been folded and removed from the jetbridge -safety- they can start with group 1.

anyways - that's how I feel about being 1K.
LondonElite and DJ_Iceman like this.

Last edited by h2oflyboy; Nov 16, 2021 at 10:00 am
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
WRT why families with kids 2 and under get pre-boarding: optics.

David
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Yesterday's LAX-PHX: short flight so I didn't bother to ask for a free drink/snack (1K benefit) but FA proactively brought a glass of champagne to us 1Ks in E+. Nice small gesture that makes a huge difference.
baqnav likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
This 1K is very happy with United's increasing return to Canada after being stuck flying godawful AC *shudder*.

I dont really care if anyone talks to me by name, or if I get on the plane 2 minutes before group 1.

Where United has come thru this year have been upgrades, the ability to burn PPlus on longhaul flights, and the 1K line which has been allowing outside the box changes on schedule changes, turning FFCs into evouchers, etc

I just hope that United keeps building their Canadian schedule up and eventually we get to see many mainline planes at YYZ again.
As someone who has had to take AC to get to YOW.....UA coming back to YOW cant come fast enough; only a single IAD flight through the holidays is dissappointing.....ORD is supposed to come back in April....but who knows.....cue the next covid panic!
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by droopydog
Interestingly, I recently flew DL in paid F, have no status, and got this note from the FA. No one else in my row or in front of me got one as best I could tell...
I got a note from the Captain last week LAX-IAD. Most passengers got a generalized hand written note, while I got a personalized thanking me for being 1K. It was on the back of his business card, unfortunately, it went through the wash when I got home

baqnav likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I got a note from the Captain last week LAX-IAD. Most passengers got a generalized hand written note, while I got a personalized thanking me for being 1K. It was on the back of his business card, unfortunately, it went through the wash when I got home
I always have to laugh at some of these comments. Man! I get no respect.... Been 1K or better for years and almost never get recognize and I have NEVER received a card! LOL. I stated above it may be that I fly out of SFO were 1K is very common and basically no big deal there. I mean the benefits are the same of course but you are not likely to any special recognition when a third of the passengers on the morning SFO to SEA flight are 1K for example.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
I always have to laugh at some of these comments. Man! I get no respect.... Been 1K or better for years and almost never get recognize and I have NEVER received a card! LOL. I stated above it may be that I fly out of SFO were 1K is very common and basically no big deal there. I mean the benefits are the same of course but you are not likely to any special recognition when a third of the passengers on the morning SFO to SEA flight are 1K for example.
I will say I don't think I've ever received a card before, except from Captain Denny. On this same trip I was also thanked (without a handwritten card) by the GoJet FA EWR-PIT, it was definitely noticeable to me to be thanked twice let alone once, it isn't that common for me.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BThumme
Any 1k's had to call into UA for anything lately? How was the wait?

As a Platinum, I've had several 20+ minute waits on the phone to talk to someone over the last three weeks. I called in at 11pm eastern last night and had a 23 minute wait just to get a ticket reissued, I didn't think it would be a problem late at night like that.
Just a platinum, but the calls I've made, maybe three or four, this year have had a wait of less than 10 minutes for each. The one that I had which had a longer wait was because there was a storm that went over O'Hare, as well as a storm moving up the coast affecting IAD and EWR.

Now, had this been Delta, I'd still be on the phone.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA
I was seated in Y on my recent FRA-DEN, purser came by with a hand written thank you note on the back of her business card as well as a Polaris amenity bag. She gave a card+bag to another 1K seated in Y as well.

Last time I was seated in J, they always seem to thank me for my business when taking meal orders.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
I boarded a Delta flight today in first and Delta 360, Delta Diamond and First class were all called at the same time during preboarding. This was in ATLANTA!! I can’t even imagine the fit that UA FT would have had - it’s all I could think about.

And I still don’t understand why people think DL has a better domestic hard product. To me on average UA is clearly better.

Sorry to divert to the UA-DL topic but the comparison is always brought up here when talking about 1K treatment…
DrMilano likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by threecap
I boarded a Delta flight today in first and Delta 360, Delta Diamond and First class were all called at the same time during preboarding. This was in ATLANTA!! I can’t even imagine the fit that UA FT would have had - it’s all I could think about.

And I still don’t understand why people think DL has a better domestic hard product. To me on average UA is clearly better.

Sorry to divert to the UA-DL topic but the comparison is always brought up here when talking about 1K treatment…
​​​​​​As a 1K who frequents ORD-SLC, the DL experience is consistently better. From the clubs on both ends with clean, real food, to the hard product (which is cleaner/just as comfy as UA F) to the onboard service. Sometimes my United experience is better, but oftentimes it is worse. Generally speaking, Delta is reliably good.

​​​​​
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Won’t be able to find the right thread but anyone who wanted a blanket LAX-LAS was proactively offered a blanket in F
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
​​​​​​As a 1K who frequents ORD-SLC, the DL experience is consistently better. From the clubs on both ends with clean, real food, to the hard product (which is cleaner/just as comfy as UA F) to the onboard service. Sometimes my United experience is better, but oftentimes it is worse. Generally speaking, Delta is reliably good.​​​​​
Fly UA SFO-SLC regularly and would have to agree with the above. I could fly DL but to maintain my UA status I usually try to fly UA. It is a short run and I can probably take any issues/poor service for the under two hour flight. I have jumped to DL due to IRROPs which is not too common. Also DL obviously runs more flights into SLC than UA (out of SFO). The big difference is SLC is DL's hub and it is brand new (relatively) and beautiful there. Have not been into there Sky Club but I have heard it is nice. The terminals 1 and 2 that DL services out of are also far nicer and more convenient than UA as well. Basically this seems to be DL's relatively new show place for now.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have had almost 60 UA flights this year alone (including many at IAD), and I have never witnessed the ENTIRE boarding area being roped off other than green/blue boarding lanes.
I finally saw this completely roped off gate thing at JAC last week. Luckily pandemic era passenger behavior seems to be group 1 lines up early and group 2 does not so we were able to preboard via line 2.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Last week DFW-SFO in FC the FA made a huge deal that it was my 30th anniversary and gave me 5000 miles.
SPN Lifer, narvik and DrMilano like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.