Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SQ / SIA signs MOU with United Airlines (Adding 19 new codeshares)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ / SIA signs MOU with United Airlines (Adding 19 new codeshares)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sorry, I actually meant the SQ equivalent of UA 1 I forgot they’re not both SFO-SIN. It’s been too long… edited post. (To be clear, it’s the seats on the SQ A350 specifically that I can’t stand).
I'm gonna try bringing a Thermarest for my September SQ flights.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:51 am

EWR to SIN on SQ21 on 016 ticket

Singapore is a Star Alliance member, but I can't seem to find that flight available on United.com. Is that normal? Are some flights not available via codeshare? From a mileage earning award and PQD perspective, it isn't worth flying that flight NOT on a United ticket given the fare bonuses for business.

Any ideas why this isn't available
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JCrew7384
Singapore is a Star Alliance member, but I can't seem to find that flight available on United.com. Is that normal?
Yes.

Are some flights not available via codeshare?
Codeshare flights are the minority.

Because UA makes a lot more money selling you EWR-SFO-SIN than they would make selling you EWR-SIN on SQ.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
What fare bonus for Business? If on 016, it's pure PQP based on spend.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by aacharya
What fare bonus for Business? If on 016, it's pure PQP based on spend.
Flying SQ and crediting to UA maxes out at 1000 PQP per segment. I imagine that the actual cost of the flight is much higher, and so the PQP earnings on a UA ticket would be much higher.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Singapore is a Star Alliance member, but I can't seem to find that flight available on United.com. Is that normal? ...
Yes, SQ has plating restrictions, especially for long haul flights. (note SQ is far from the only carrier doing this.) That prevents UA from offering those flights, some all fares, sometimes just discount fares.

The importance of this new agreement is SQ is willing to allow UA to codeshares on certain flights. Outside of those codeshares, other SQ flights are difficult to ticket on UA ticket stock.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:25 am

Singapore is a Star Alliance member, but I can't seem to find that flight available on United.com. Is that normal? Are some flights not available via codeshare? From a mileage earning award and PQD perspective, it isn't worth flying that flight NOT on a United ticket given the fare bonuses for business.

Yes, not every flight is code shared. I was only seeing J fares being sold on UA for SN operated flights.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
From a mileage earning award and PQD perspective, it isn't worth flying that flight NOT on a United ticket given the fare bonuses for business.
Sometimes the best flight is not the best earning flight from a FFP perspective.

You can credit SQ to AS. Depending on fare class, business class will earn minimum of 100% EQM and 200% RDM.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1k
i wish they used a code share to fly SFO-SIN-PER.... other wise we have to fly to SYD and then connect to Perth. I see the CODE share flight is now a reality its just not competitive!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Porch
i wish they used a code share to fly SFO-SIN-PER.... other wise we have to fly to SYD and then connect to Perth. I see the CODE share flight is now a reality its just not competitive!
UA does codeshare on SIN-PER as UA7694, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. What I'm really surprised about is that they don't codeshare with NZ on AKL-PER.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by angetenar
UA does codeshare on SIN-PER as UA7694, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. What I'm really surprised about is that they don't codeshare with NZ on AKL-PER.
Ua 6789 operated by NZ. 1250 pm arrives 415 pm
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So doing some initial looking for summer travel to S. India from SFO - either BLR or MAA - not sure yet. Looking on the UA site, I do see the options with UA to SIN, and then SQ onward - these are actually the cheapest way to get there, and at least on the dates I've been playing around with, routing via FRA, which was usually how UA preferred to route this, even though I never liked flying this way from the west coast, was booking into B fares....ouch...expensive. Anyhow, looks like at least with both these destinations, the SQ segments aren't booking onto codeshares, but marketed as SQ flights on the SIN-India portions - using SQ flight numbers.

The SQ segments though, are booking into either Q or V fares, which don't seem to earn any award miles or any sort of premier credit when flying SQ. Anyone know if UA is able to book these where the SQ segments are mileage earning, and the best way to do this. Easier to call UA to price for it all, or book on the website, then call within 24 hours to see if UA can 'upgrade' the class of the SQ legs to say, an H or M fare, which would earn. Not entirely sure it's worth it, but would at least like to see.

Interestingly enough, might not be a horrible deal to book the whole thing on SQ, which is more, but not that much more than UA. While base fare is definitely higher, with 2 kids that will be traveling on this itin, and SQ offering child discounts and UA not, the total on SQ is actually only in the single-digit percentages higher, though they do have change and cancel fees, which I don't have to deal with on UA.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by emcampbe
So doing some initial looking for summer travel to S. India from SFO - either BLR or MAA - not sure yet. Looking on the UA site, I do see the options with UA to SIN, and then SQ onward - these are actually the cheapest way to get there, and at least on the dates I've been playing around with, routing via FRA, which was usually how UA preferred to route this, even though I never liked flying this way from the west coast, was booking into B fares....ouch...expensive. Anyhow, looks like at least with both these destinations, the SQ segments aren't booking onto codeshares, but marketed as SQ flights on the SIN-India portions - using SQ flight numbers.

The SQ segments though, are booking into either Q or V fares, which don't seem to earn any award miles or any sort of premier credit when flying SQ. Anyone know if UA is able to book these where the SQ segments are mileage earning, and the best way to do this. Easier to call UA to price for it all, or book on the website, then call within 24 hours to see if UA can 'upgrade' the class of the SQ legs to say, an H or M fare, which would earn. Not entirely sure it's worth it, but would at least like to see.

Interestingly enough, might not be a horrible deal to book the whole thing on SQ, which is more, but not that much more than UA. While base fare is definitely higher, with 2 kids that will be traveling on this itin, and SQ offering child discounts and UA not, the total on SQ is actually only in the single-digit percentages higher, though they do have change and cancel fees, which I don't have to deal with on UA.
would you not earn miles and PQP on the SQ flights booked through UA if it was plated on 016 stock? i'm seeing eligible flights through SIN on the V fare but it might be date dependent.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html
Old Dec 23, 2022, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
You can price this out for yourself with ITA Matrix. I suspect it’ll be grotesquely expensive, as you’ll either force a fare break or force a higher through fare back to your origin. Do it as a multi-city search and use an option like f bc=H|bc=M to check for H or M fares on the leg you care about.

Originally Posted by prestonh
would you not earn miles and PQP on the SQ flights booked through UA if it was plated on 016 stock?
The fare classes still need to be mileage-earning or there will be no PQP. And SQ has a lot of non-earning flights. (They have a weird hybrid business model where they both depend upon and despise discount travelers).
SPN Lifer and emcampbe like this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You can price this out for yourself with ITA Matrix. I suspect it’ll be grotesquely expensive, as you’ll either force a fare break or force a higher through fare back to your origin. Do it as a multi-city search and use an option like f bc=H|bc=M to check for H or M fares on the leg you care about.
I'll have to try that, but yes, I'm worried about the really expensive part.

Interestingly, I also looked at how much it would cost to book UA just to SIN vs. booking to BLR/MAA on one ticket, and the price is pretty much exactly the same, so the onward connection is 'free'. Unfortunately, UA doesn't seem to allow a stopover in SIN on those fares, which is unfortunate as it would be nice to have the flexibility to spend a couple of days in SIN before going onward.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.