Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need Advice - I really think United steals from us - very deceptive business practice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice - I really think United steals from us - very deceptive business practice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The actual refund issue is as clear as mud, and United has a history of inconsistency in applying it.

"the amount of refund will be as follows: ... the lowest applicable fare at the time the ticket was purchased" doesn't even make sense as a sentence.

The reasonable amount would be the difference between the fare paid and the equivalent fare in the lower cabin that was offered on the date of purchase. The issue is that United doesn't know what that is, and indeed it cannot be retroactively determined because historical inventory is not kept. All that can be said with certainty is that it is at least the route fare differential.

On top of that, although the CoC provides for a "prorated value" of a fare component on a single segment of the routing, it fails to provide any mechanism for such proration. Whether it should be ratably by distance, or by the ratio of full fares, or by some other method is left unspecified.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If I'm reading the original post correctly - and I may not be - they flew from LAX to Albany in F and the return had the downgrade. Just doing dummy bookings on united.com where I book F to Albany via IAD and Economy on the way back is a price difference in the $250 range versus F both directions.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Imstevek
These are easy ones. If you value first and getting there on or close to time that much, refuse the Y reseating, and/or demand to be booked on another carrier. Otherwise you accepted the seat provided and the difference in fare.

I know as an ex GS/1k, your status certainly isn’t going to get other folks moved, especially with a misconnect. I have been in that position before and was happy to get to my destination. You might have better luck as a GS, but not guaranteed.
As a long time GS I can tell you in this situation my experience has been they will only ask the FC passenger to move to Y if they are non-rev.

When I miss a connection and get told FC is booked for 1-2 days, I have to quickly decide to fly UA in Y or FC on another carrier. UA has not always offered rebooking on another airline but when I ask they also have never said no (apart from Smisek merger days). So in my experience be ready to ask.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If you feel it is a deceptive business practice, you can always file a DOT complaint.
I have never felt the calculation for the fare downgrade was right, but had no way of telling for sure,

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you're not at the gate 15 minutes before the scheduled departure, UA can (and often does) give away F seats to those on the waitlist. It sucks, but it is what it is. You no longer "own" the seats even though it's UA's fault on late connection. You weren't downgraded - you were off-loaded. As other mentioned, difference in fare was due or seats in F on next available flight. UA should book on other carriers in instances like this (IMHO). Sometimes, UA holds flights (and seat assignments), and sometimes they don't.

Not deceptive practices - not even close. UA will point to contract of carriage and its ability to re-assign seats near departure time. If you want to waste time complaining to DOT in lieu of reading the CoC, it's your perogative.
I think the deceptive part here is how they calculate the fare differential. Most of us book cheapest first available and expect the fare difference with cheapest economy available at the time of the booking. UA arbitrarily choosing to compare to an E fare does not seem right.

Rule 27 part C says if the fare was upgraded the only refund is the way the upgrade was paid for: points, miles, dollars, etc... Does this mean for YBM automatic upgrades there is no compensation? (And thanks for posting this, Ari!)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:18 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by findark
The actual refund issue is as clear as mud, and United has a history of inconsistency in applying it.

"the amount of refund will be as follows: ... the lowest applicable fare at the time the ticket was purchased" doesn't even make sense as a sentence.

The reasonable amount would be the difference between the fare paid and the equivalent fare in the lower cabin that was offered on the date of purchase. The issue is that United doesn't know what that is, and indeed it cannot be retroactively determined because historical inventory is not kept. All that can be said with certainty is that it is at least the route fare differential.

On top of that, although the CoC provides for a "prorated value" of a fare component on a single segment of the routing, it fails to provide any mechanism for such proration. Whether it should be ratably by distance, or by the ratio of full fares, or by some other method is left unspecified.

I just had the same issue. Booked a domestic first class Z and equipment swap led to Y. The updated pricing on Y was $3 cheaper than the Z I booked so I opted for a full refund and decided to rebook on another carrier due to time constraints.
Grog, st3 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 7:24 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Should we start saving a screenshot of the availability at booking? If I book a Z-fare on this flight (below) and get downgraded, then it's very clear up front that the reference for comparison should be the lowest (non-award) economy fare - L. It is possible to look retroactively in the GDS to see exactly what the fare difference was on the day of booking between Z and L.

Available fare classes: J9 JN9 C9 D8 Z4 ZN4 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K0 G0 N9 XN9 X2

Unfortunately, this isn't better at other airlines. I flew AA recently ANC-DFW-MCO. Inbound flight to ANC was late (AA's fault), which ultimately made me misconnect in DFW. I was rebooked in economy despite paying for F. Fortunately, the GA in DFW got me a F seat, but I was ready to read the riot act to Doug Parker if I was stuck in economy with a $20 refund....
wanaflyforless likes this.

Last edited by TBD; Oct 27, 2021 at 7:31 am Reason: Tried to provide a more clear example
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by RK23
I just had the same issue. Booked a domestic first class Z and equipment swap led to Y. The updated pricing on Y was $3 cheaper than the Z I booked so I opted for a full refund and decided to rebook on another carrier due to time constraints.
This is what the DOT should be looking at.
Grog likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: UA MM
Question for OP:

Were you not protected by UA on the next flight out of IAD? If that's the case, it's a disturbing development for 1K status (IMHO). For quite a while, it seems that if I ever was in danger of mis-connecting, UA proactively made a backup reservation for me on the next flight.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Question for OP:

Were you not protected by UA on the next flight out of IAD? If that's the case, it's a disturbing development for 1K status (IMHO). For quite a while, it seems that if I ever was in danger of mis-connecting, UA proactively made a backup reservation for me on the next flight.
I thought there's been no protection for a while now. I remember finding out a few years ago when I tried to have a phone agent protect me, and she was very apologetic, but said they don't do that anymore. I haven't tried again since then.
chavala likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
Should we start saving a screenshot of the availability at booking? If I book a Z-fare on this flight (below) and get downgraded, then it's very clear up front that the reference for comparison should be the lowest (non-award) economy fare - L. It is possible to look retroactively in the GDS to see exactly what the fare difference was on the day of booking between Z and L.
That isn't how that works.

If you want to keep this information, you'd screenshot the search results, including the price being offered, not the inventory. The inventory doesn't tell you anything about applicable fares on that purchase date.

There is zero reason to believe that OP didn't get the correct refund -- or, at least, there's not nearly enough information available to make that assertion, as we don't know whether this was a round-trip or one-way ticket, and we don't know whether the refund amount listed was per-person or total. OP claims they never would have paid X amount for economy travel, but most first-class fares, including ALB-LAX (not via EWR) are priced on a differential basis: the fare for F depends upon the fare for Y. If the F fare is expensive, it's often -- not solely -- because the fare for Y on those same flights was expensive.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This is what the DOT should be looking at.
The representatives on the phone wouldn't budge and said they could fly me out on the next flight that was 6 hours later and that they could only offer fare difference based on the current date, which had Y repriced to be nearly identical to Z just over a week later. To make matters worse, the app/web wanted me to pay to change my seat. I didn't even bother asking if they would have waved that cost. The flight is also nearly empty both up front and in the back. Maybe 4 people booked right now!

I might file a DOT complaint if my response from United is unsatisfactory.
Grog and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TBD

Available fare classes: J9 JN9 C9 D8 Z4 ZN4 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K0 G0 N9 XN9 X2
Fare class availability doesn't mean there's any applicable fare at booking time.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RK23
The representatives on the phone wouldn't budge and said they could fly me out on the next flight that was 6 hours later and that they could only offer fare difference based on the current date, which had Y repriced to be nearly identical to Z just over a week later. To make matters worse, the app/web wanted me to pay to change my seat. I didn't even bother asking if they would have waved that cost. The flight is also nearly empty both up front and in the back. Maybe 4 people booked right now!

I might file a DOT complaint if my response from United is unsatisfactory.
Cancel and rebook.

David
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I thought there's been no protection for a while now. I remember finding out a few years ago when I tried to have a phone agent protect me, and she was very apologetic, but said they don't do that anymore. I haven't tried again since then.
I've been protected 3 times already in October due to delayed departures. In fact, I think UA's on-time performance these last few months must be suffering badly because I've been on over 10 badly delayed flights in that time. Two times, they booked me on another UA flight in F, and the last time, they booked me in Y. On the last one, I found a DL one-way in F and cancelled my last UA segment for refund.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:39 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
To me, this falls in the same category as trying to go standby with a 'paid first class ticket'. I've had fare classes a high as C, but usually D...And any time I try to get on a standby list, they tell me I can only stand by for coach, because "you bought a coach ticket with a free upgrade to first". At no point in the purchase process, nowhere in the fare description (yes, the puzzle of the extended booking code might be Q4F3B7XN), but not even semi-savvy travelers would look at those seemingly random assembly of numbers/letters and think, "Oh, I have a coach Q fare!". It's. Literally. Stated. Nowhere. It offers me a few columns, usually Economy, Economy (refundable) and First. I select the first class fare, full stop.

(The two times this happened to me this year, I had to try gate standby because not even the app gave me the option, despite plenty of first class seats available INCLUDING my front-facing fare class (C or D)--but because apparently my underlying "Q" (or whatever) isn't available, they won't offer me the F seat. That, to me, is complete B.S. and I'm contemplating a DOT complaint.
iluv2fly and chavala like this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
That isn't how that works.

If you want to keep this information, you'd screenshot the search results, including the price being offered, not the inventory. The inventory doesn't tell you anything about applicable fares on that purchase date.

There is zero reason to believe that OP didn't get the correct refund -- or, at least, there's not nearly enough information available to make that assertion, as we don't know whether this was a round-trip or one-way ticket, and we don't know whether the refund amount listed was per-person or total. OP claims they never would have paid X amount for economy travel, but most first-class fares, including ALB-LAX (not via EWR) are priced on a differential basis: the fare for F depends upon the fare for Y. If the F fare is expensive, it's often -- not solely -- because the fare for Y on those same flights was expensive.
Doesn't EF show historical fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.