Wiki Posts
Search

My first flight as 1k

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
My first flight as 1k

I am primarily a leisure flyer, and have held various lower tier statuses on UA over the years, but with the various promos this year I made 1k for the first (and almost certainly the last) time. Despite a weather delay, it was a very pleasant flight, so I thought I would share with the fine folks here!

I had an award flight booked ORD-SFO for next week, and for various reasons, Monday morning I changed onto a flight for that same night. I got the upgrade email within half an hour of changing onto the flight, despite it showing as 22/24 booked! This may have something to do with the travel waiver (thunderstorms) for Chicago that day, but no matter what the reason it was pretty awesome. A few years ago I remember not getting above 10th on the upgrade list as a Plat with a RPU applied.

My flight was after the storm system rolled through, so only residual delays from late arriving aircraft. Minor quibble, why doesn't UA coordinate the expected delay with the expected arrival of the inbound aircraft? The expected arrival time of the inbound was pretty much spot on, and while the plane was being cleaned people started to line up for boarding, and I got to watch them do so in anticipation of pre-boarding There was one humorous (to me at least) moment when a guy in the group 1 line made a snarky comment to a GS who went to wait by the gate area about how lines worked.

Once onboard it was an above average flight, although nothing different than it would have been if I wasn't 1k. The meal had warm pretzel bread, and the pie in the sky was warmed up, so that was very nice. The best part was actually nature's doing, as the northern lights made a rare appearance that far south! One of the FAs made a much appreciated announcement to point them out

Here's hoping I have as much luck with my flights through 2022, at which point I will happily give way to all you returning business travellers!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Welcome to the World of 1K! I hope you continue to find it as enjoyable as your first flight.

Cheers
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Congratulations. I also am a long-time FF who has never been 1K, Platinum for 10 years but not 1K.
Thanks to the promotions and my wife's desire to travel (I like it too) I expect to be 1K for my November 6 EWR-PBI flight if my PP spend PQPs show up in time or my November 8 return if they don't.
As I am now also a mostly a leisure traveler, I really don't expect to be 1K again either.
May you enjoy a rewarding year of travel at 1K!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:00 pm

Congrats, zymm! That’s awesome you were able to see some of the Northern Lights. Sounds like you had an all around wonderful flight.

Happy travels! 😃 🛫

Last edited by Starbase 1K; Oct 14, 2021 at 1:07 pm
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Congrats! I hit 1K for the first time after flying abroad 7x for work in 2019. Makes the flights that much better. Wish you many more years of exciting travel!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Congrats on making 1K. I’m just qualified as well, thanks to the promotions Untied has offered this year. Your experience is better than mine! My flight was CUN-EWR. On the way down, as a Platinum I was greeted by the purser, thanked for loyalty, had attentive beverage service and even received a snack basket 1 hour prior to landing despite a meal being offered. The crew was so personable and friendly.

My flight home was the exact opposite. After boarding and taking my seat, I overheard the purser telling the other FA that he holds a mandatory debrief because the company pays for it and nobody steals time on his watch. He then said and think of working with me as a checkride. I forgot to mention how during the boarding process there was no hello, just a “One per household” as he handed out the US customs form and the cleaning wipe. While there was about 35-40 minutes of turbulence which prevented service, there was not ONE offer of refilling beverages. There was no greeting to each passenger, no recognition for status (like every other flight). Meals were taken in seat order (GS behind me did not get spoken to first). They sat up there and talked or read the entire time. It was so disappointing. I feel like this is the United everyone bashes.

I have never experienced this before. . .
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:08 pm

Best part is when they call 1Ks before group 1 and people in Group 1 are like what's a 1K?
LimeySD, chemengin, xph11 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:05 pm

Monday night I was on that same plane (red-eye SFO-ORD 789 with Polaris), they offered dinner with that warm pie with melting chocolate in that flight (I was shocked when I saw them serving warm food on domestic red-eye)!
Congrats on 1k!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by zymm
I had an award flight booked ORD-SFO for next week, and for various reasons, Monday morning I changed onto a flight for that same night. I got the upgrade email within half an hour of changing onto the flight, despite it showing as 22/24 booked! This may have something to do with the travel waiver (thunderstorms) for Chicago that day, but no matter what the reason it was pretty awesome. A few years ago I remember not getting above 10th on the upgrade list as a Plat with a RPU applied.
!
Nice to hear of the great experience. I rarely get a complementary upgrade as a 1K on this route, even when booked in a high fare class. A nice way to start being 1K but please don't consider this to be a typical occurrence.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Best part is when they call 1Ks before group 1 and people in Group 1 are like what's a 1K?
And those that buy First Class tickets are reminded why they try not to fly United. 😂
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
In my observations, a high percentage in Group 1 who are not 1K think "1K" means "Boarding group 1".
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
A nice way to start being 1K but please don't consider this to be a typical occurrence.
Bingo.

Originally Posted by SF1K
And those that buy First Class tickets are reminded why they try not to fly United. 😂
Except those ticket holders sit upfront; while 1Ks often walk past F cabin.
Artpen100 and GlobalServiced like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zymm
My flight was after the storm system rolled through, so only residual delays from late arriving aircraft. Minor quibble, why doesn't UA coordinate the expected delay with the expected arrival of the inbound aircraft?
Sometimes they do, sometimes there's uncertainty because of possible swaps.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by SF1K
Oh!!
The horrors of not being first on the plane

It's not like they don't get on board when it is still virtually empty
SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Congrats. One of the things you'll appreciate most if you fly a lot is the better phone service you get. Its huge when things really go wrong or you need some quick help with a question or to fix something. Others may say otherwise, but I've always had very good luck with the agents I've gotten. And you always get right through with very minimal wait.
MTan, Dyce, big V and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.