Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United agents - please learn the phonetic alphabet!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United agents - please learn the phonetic alphabet!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Funny. Check out the German phonetic equivalent for X and Y. Do you actually pronounce those letters in German?
Y is weird because that's just the German name for Y.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upsilo...e_with_Latin_Y

​​​​​​
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by luke5111
I'm one of those that goes with anything that comes to mind. A for Arthur, B for Bread or anything else that comes to mind. Never had an issue in 35 years of flying. Don't think anybody needs to learn any particular code, it works just fine if you use regular words.
Interesting the difference between airlines. Spirit makes all agents learn the phonetic alphabet (and all of the city codes) prior to coming to training - first thing they do on day one is take a test from memory and if they fail, they go home.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JAXPax
Interesting the difference between airlines. Spirit makes all agents learn the phonetic alphabet (and all of the city codes) prior to coming to training - first thing they do on day one is take a test from memory and if they fail, they go home.
I remember airport* codes (served by that airline) being an element featuring in another airline documentary from long ago -- can't remember if it was WN, F9, or someone else requiring all of their FA recruits to pass a similar test. But I think that may be as much a difference between airlines as it is times changing -- heck, with every other revision United.com can't figure out CLE and ORD without selecting the full city name from the drop-down (currently it is working, which I appreciate)

*- hair splitting: relatively few cities have IATA city codes (encompassing more than one airport in a metro region, e.g. NYC = (LGA | EWR | JFK) WAS = (DCA | IAD | (BWI?)) LON = (LHR | LCY | (LTN?))), PAR = (CDG | ORY). Doesn't help confusion that LAX is both a city and airport code.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yes, this is indeed too demanding.

It is a First World problem,

I concur. During my first two years of law school, I was a Reservations Sales Representative (RSR) at UA SFORR from 1985-87.

New phone agents have enough to learn — including airport codes, SSR & SSI (Spec. Serv. Req. & Spec. Serv. Info.) codes, fare basis codes & rules, and dozens of new travel & work rules, processes, and procedures — without being forced to memorize a phonetic alphabet system. It would be too low on the six-week introductory training priorities, especially given the low (high school) education prerequisites, low salary, and tightly controlled, highly monitored environment in which RSRs work.

As a Naval Academy graduate, I had known the NATO phonetic alphabet since my days as a 17-year-old Plebe, and used it routinely when providing Passenger Name Record (PNR) record locators to customers, for efficiency. I would always say, "K as in Kilo", for example, to minimize the need for repetition, as one of the primary performance metrics for an RSR is calls per hour (CPH).

I noticed some of my colleagues doing this to help reduce their own CPH, and whether they used one of the phonetic alphabets listed above in Post # 27, or made up their own, was of no import.
​​​​​​
​​​​​Use of the NATO alphabet, specifically, is unnecessary.

Far more important is that customers and employees alike practice patience and respect for our mutual human dignity. "A smile can be heard over the phone."

OP = original post

I am one of the multitude who access FlyerTalk exclusively by cell phone, thus seeing no signatures. I clicked on the relevant user profile and, to save everyone else time, post my findings here:
You're probably right.

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I remember airport* codes (served by that airline) being an element featuring in another airline documentary from long ago -- can't remember if it was WN, F9, or someone else requiring all of their FA recruits to pass a similar test. But I think that may be as much a difference between airlines as it is times changing -- heck, with every other revision United.com can't figure out CLE and ORD without selecting the full city name from the drop-down (currently it is working, which I appreciate)

*- hair splitting: relatively few cities have IATA city codes (encompassing more than one airport in a metro region, e.g. NYC = (LGA | EWR | JFK) WAS = (DCA | IAD | (BWI?)) LON = (LHR | LCY | (LTN?))), PAR = (CDG | ORY). Doesn't help confusion that LAX is both a city and airport code.
You'd get a shock if you travelled to PAR thinking you were heading for the French capital! I mean, I'd prefer to be on a Greek island rather than Paris, but...

Using LON does at least get you to a London airport but even TA's can't agree on what it means. Some of them include STN and LTN, and few even include SEN. I'd also expect BEI to bring up Beijing airports, but apparently that's BJS. BEI is in Ethiopia.

Anyway, my point is that trying to learn airport codes and city codes in such a short time would be a total minefield.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 4, 2021 at 10:19 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.