Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United agents - please learn the phonetic alphabet!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United agents - please learn the phonetic alphabet!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
IME 1K agents never have trouble understanding the NATO phonetic alphabet when I read it out to them, but only about a third of them use it when reading PNRs back to me (such as when making a new booking over the phone). I find the same applies to AA EXP agents as well.
1P likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
United agents have a problem with the letter D.

Just like this guy (about 45s in)...
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Never in the military but I'm in the IT field so I've used the phonetic alphabet for years. I always use it when giving my PNRs and never had an issue. At work I occasionally throw in an "M as in Mancy" just for yucks, though.
canadiancow, truncated and zymm like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Obviously not phone agents, but I seem to remember the NATO alphabet being one of the (many) handouts at FA Initial Training... not that many FAs took the time to learn it, as it's largely unnecessary in the cabin. I'd be amazed if they did not do something similar for phone agents.

I once had to call the FAA Airmen's Cert division about something, and that phone rep did not know it, which I found mildly amusing.
jsloan, lincolnjkc and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I used to listen to a police scanner when I lived in LA and "grew up" with Adam, Boy, Charles, etc. When going phonetic with United or other airlines, I have to stop and think for the other version.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:26 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I just make up everyday words until they finally get something that works for them. Their key response back to me is "What"
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I usually use the phonetic alphabet when relaying a PNR over the phone. Every UA agent that I can recall knew exactly what I was saying.
Worked with a guy named QUINN. He'd start off spelling his name by saying, "Cue" like in cucumber.
B747SP likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
This is going to sound sad... but I learned the NATO alphabet so that I can better communicate with UA customer service. Given how much I travel and how much I have called them, ive become very good at it.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
P as in Pterodactyl, T as in Tsunami, M as in Mnemonic"
Oh, you can do much, much better than that: "A is an Aye" and "C as in Cue" (and it's partner "S as in Sea")
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
It's just the reverse for me. I work with corporate travelers, and when I ask for their pnr, some of the words they use are quite entertaining.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by trm2
I use it all the time when calling in and they have never needed to clarify any of it.
Same here, and I usually say it rather quickly.

I have gotten a laugh when saying "niner".
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Oh, you can do much, much better than that: "A is an Aye" and "C as in Cue" (and it's partner "S as in Sea")
And of course D as in Double-u, E as in Eye, and W as in Why... but let's not take this too far OT haha
Old Oct 2, 2021, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I use the phonetic alphabet all the time and I'm not military. It really helps avoid confusion with letters. Only problem is, German speaking phone agents seem to have their own alphabet, such as M for Martha etc. Is there really a German phonetic alphabet?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:45 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Concerto
I use the phonetic alphabet all the time and I'm not military. It really helps avoid confusion with letters. Only problem is, German speaking phone agents seem to have their own alphabet, such as M for Martha etc. Is there really a German phonetic alphabet?
See tarheelnj's post above for the German phonetic alphabet. The only thing his useful table does not include is the French phonetic alphabet, found at https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphab..._fran%C3%A7ais
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
See Post # 27.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.