Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Infuriating poaching on UA w/ gate agent’s help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Secured a nice aisle for myself on UA 646 IAH-LAX this afternoon. Even had physical bp. Stroll up to gate at boarding time (minutes ago) and hear a beep. GA hands me a new bp for a window. I ask what happened to my seat and the ga tells me that he gave it to a couple that asked him to switch me out so they could travel together. Mind you, I wasn’t paged or consulted or asked - he just did this for these “people.” Apparently my fury was evident on my face even with a mask on as he started apologizing, but as this was in the middle of boarding I simply got moving so as not to hold up the line. Already submitted a complaint - I simply cannot believe that he would do this.

what’s funniest is that my “new” seat is in the same row (other side) as my original one, so I can at least stare daggers at the people who boarded before me and are in my spot.
Spiff, SK, Boraxo and 16 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Seat assignments are not guaranteed.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Not sure what kind of kiss up dance you have to do to be able to make them move somebody else because you want to sit together as a couple? I’ve tried that before and the answer I got was, “no I can’t do that sir”. Does status help to move someone else out of the seat they picked so you and your partner can sit together?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Seat assignments are not guaranteed.
The agent was wrong. Should have called up the OP. I have been called up by agents in the past to switch. I just would have sat in the original seat.
Spiff, SK, stef315 and 34 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Agent is wrong. Elites or not!
Spiff, JNelson113, SK and 29 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The agent was wrong. Should have called up the OP. I have been called up by agents in the past to switch. I just would have sat in the original seat.
I've been notified in the app that my seat was switched without my consent before (no equipment swap). The latest time it happened I went up to the GA and asked why and was informed a passenger with a disability needed the bulkhead seat, so I was moved a row back.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

This is the part that galls me the most. If they/the ga asked politely it would almost certainly not have been a problem.

I would have said something to the poacher when I boarded (they were already seated when I got on) but I was so incandescent with rage that I thought it best to pass that one by. We still have 30 minutes left though!
renila, nnn, trooper and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
I've been notified in the app that my seat was switched without my consent before (no equipment swap). The latest time it happened I went up to the GA and asked why and was informed a passenger with a disability needed the bulkhead seat, so I was moved a row back.
100%. Had that been the case, I would have been totally fine with it. But…it definitely wasn’t.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VRFast
Does status help to move someone else out of the seat they picked so you and your partner can sit together?
There is no documented policy that would entitle someone to move somebody else....

... but there's also no documented right to any particular seat. The agent was 100% within his rights to move anybody on the plane, for any reason. UA makes very clear that seat assignments are not guaranteed.

Sitting in the original seat would have been pointless. The new passengers would have shown up, the FA would have consulted her updated manifest, and you'd have been placed back into your new seat -- now with a confused and/or angry FA, depending upon whether or not the agent realizes what you did.

Originally Posted by benjymessner
I would have said something to the poacher when I boarded (they were already seated when I got on) but I was so incandescent with rage that I thought it best to pass that one by. We still have 30 minutes left though!
Keep in mind that you're taking the agent's word for what happened -- an agent who now realizes you're upset and may well want to shift the blame. It's possible that the agent was telling the exact truth. It's also possible that the couple came up and said "is there any way for us to sit together," and the agent moved you of his own initiative, in which case they'd essentially be blameless.
roberto99, SPN Lifer, GK8 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
The agent got himself a Jackson.
rickg523 and Flapjacks like this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Status or Not…

Each Seat Assignment has an Ancillary Cost and no seat is priced equally. What if the Aisle cost more than a Window? Would you get a refund in difference if you were moved out of the seat that you paid for?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:45 pm

Alaska GA did this to me, it popped up on my electronic BP while I was sitting in the lounge. I walked down and made them very aware I had chose my seat and expected to get my seat in the nicest possible way. She tried to say they were going to put some money in my travel wallet but I refused. Move me back. They found an aisle seat for me across from the people they gave my seat to, It wasn't even a minor and adult. just a couple.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:46 pm

It really depends how much fun you want to have. I would have calmly said that seat won’t work for me, my right knee locks up so I need a left hand aisle seat. Sorry you gave mine away please move someone else for my medical condition and watched him squirm in the middle of boarding

Last edited by disalex; Aug 8, 2021 at 8:55 pm
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Each Seat Assignment has an Ancillary Cost and no seat is priced equally.
Untrue.

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Would you get a refund in difference if you were moved out of the seat that you paid for?
UA does not sell specific seat assignments. They do sell access to E+ and/or preferred seating, and the prices may change depending upon which seat you select initially -- but seat assignments are still not guaranteed.

If you did not receive what you paid for, you're eligible for a refund -- for example, if you paid for E+ and didn't get it, the refund is generally automatic. If you paid for a preferred seat and didn't get one, you should also be eligible for a refund.

If you paid for an E+ aisle and got an E+ window, UA is exceedingly likely to claim that they delivered what they promised -- only the E+ seat is guaranteed, despite the fact that they charge differently for different initial seat assignments. Your only chance at getting a refund is likely to have a screenshot of the prices that were being offered when you selected your seat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Keep in mind that you're taking the agent's word for what happened -- an agent who now realizes you're upset and may well want to shift the blame. It's possible that the agent was telling the exact truth. It's also possible that the couple came up and said "is there any way for us to sit together," and the agent moved you of his own initiative, in which case they'd essentially be blameless.
excellent point, thank you!
jsloan, wrp96, Flapjacks and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.